Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Legend !

Status
    One of the things we've seen Levy do in order to save money and find a hidden gem or two is to loot relegated teams for talent that won't be keen to play in the Championship. Obv. this isn't a perfect approach b/c usually there's a reason the side got relegated and it has to do with the quality of player. That said, the performance of Parker shows that there can be a great deal of merit to this approach. And given that we'll still be working with a limited budget in the summer, it seems likely we'll make a play or two for relegated players again this summer. So who are some of your favorites from the bottom five? Clearly, the three relegated sides will come from the group of Blackburn, Bolton, QPR, Wigan and Wolves. So which players from those clubs could you see fitting in at Spurs? My list:

Blackburn - Hoilett, Samba (We've covered both of these names enough already, I think.)
    Bolton - None that I really fancy in this side. Eagles, Petrov and Mark Davies are all quality, but none of them belong anywhere near a top 6 side. That said, I could see someone like Stoke, Sunderland, or Everton making a play for them. (Or perhaps West Ham, assuming the Hammers get promoted.)
    QPR - If we weren't so loaded at CM already, I'd suggest Faurlin. Onuoha is also a good shout, although there are better CBs out there.
    Wigan - Maybe Rodallega but probably not, other than that though, no one here that I rate much at all (the keeper is class, but too gaffe-prone for me, could turn into another Gomes: great shot stopper but prone to silly mistakes). Moses is a talent, but seems kinda like a Jerome Thomas or Charles N'Zogbia type, talented player who still will probably never rise higher than the bottom half of the Premiership.
    Wolves - Fletcher and Doyle I both rate quite highly. Also am a big fan of Jarvis, though I'm not sure how he fits in for us. As long as we have Niko and Pienaar, can't really see us needing another LM. Also, if Krul spurns us in the summer, Hennessey may not be a bad shout at keeper. If we can't keep Adebayor, then I'm guessing we make one splash at striker in the form of Remy or Daimao and then we add someone like Fletcher or Doyle to back them up (hopefully while holding onto Defoe).

Legend !

Status
    Regarding Bolton, I'd say if Stuart Holden and Lee Chung Yong weren't out with broken legs we should take a look at them. I'd actually go as far to say that they wouldn't be anywhere near their current predicament if those two lads were fit. Goodness knows what kind of form they'll show when they do return, though.

Don't really rate Hennessey, he seems very erratic with his shot stopping. Wolves away to Man Utd comes to mind, and when they came to the Lane the strike for Modders' goal was pretty much straight at him.

First Team Player

Status
    Me thinks that it would be Wolves, Blackburn and Wigan making the drop to the Championship.

With that said, Id take Matt Jarvis from Wolves. Great cover if ever one of our wingers gets injured. The man can put in a good cross and also has an eye for goal.

And of course the 2 Blackburn players we've been linked to the past transfer window, Hoilett and Samba and I'll take Yak if he's willing to play the third or even 4th striker role.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by CmonyouSpurs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Regarding Bolton, I'd say if Stuart Holden and Lee Chung Yong weren't out with broken legs we should take a look at them. I'd actually go as far to say that they wouldn't be anywhere near their current predicament if those two lads were fit. Goodness knows what kind of form they'll show when they do return, though.

Don't really rate Hennessey, he seems very erratic with his shot stopping. Wolves away to Man Utd comes to mind, and when they came to the Lane the strike for Modders' goal was pretty much straight at him.
    Holden will be alright, he'll stay at Bolton if they stay up. I don't think he's injury prone, or his injuries will cause reoccurring problems, he's just unlucky. I'd take him as cover for Modric but I doubt he'd want to do that. Also I doubt he plays for Bolton in the Championship, rumors are he has a relegation clause, so if they get relegated his release clause is activated which isn't to pricey. I think he'll sign for a mid-table club or a newly promoted club on a short contract to get himself a consistent run of matches, so he can either opt to stay or get a bigger move. Unfortunate but that injury set him back.

5. Who Thanked this post

CmonyouSpurs (07-02-2012)

Legend !

Status
    It would be nice to have Doyle, Fletcher or Rodallega on the bench instead of Saha to be honest.

Legend !

Status
    Transfer targets from relegation sides.

I'd take Van Persie & Szchezny

8. These users say thanks for this post

Batman (08-02-2012),Don Diaz (07-02-2012),Hornsby_Hotspur (07-02-2012),jonspurs (07-02-2012),donatorMatt (07-02-2012),TheSpurEST (10-02-2012),USspur (08-02-2012),Yidly didly (14-02-2012)

Legend !

Status
    for me holden isnt good enough for a top 4 side even at cover. Lee is certainly a better player for me but i don't think he's as good as Hoilett who'd be a great squad player for spurs i think.

Legend !

Status
    I like Jarvis as Ive said previously, delivers quality balls, Hoilet is a shout too, but the problem is will they or anyone else sit on the bench.

Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo

Status
    No one seems to have posed the arrogant question as to........

"Why would we want a player that has been relegated"...???

Refreshing.

Legend !

Status
    I think it's a little harsh to say Moses will never rise past the bottom of the Premier League, he is extremely talented. If you put some talent around him I think he has the chance to be a world class difference maker. If it is Bolton, Wigan, and Blackburn (or Wolves) that do indeed go down Moses would have to be the most prized asset in any of those three squads.

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by P UNIT 1980 View Post
    No one seems to have posed the arrogant question as to........

"Why would we want a player that has been relegated"...???

Refreshing.
    I asked it, as did many others, this summer when we signed Parker.

Let's just say I'm not going to ask that question anymore!

14. Who Thanked this post

StPaulSpur (08-02-2012)

Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanHotspur View Post
    I asked it, as did many others, this summer when we signed Parker.

Let's just say I'm not going to ask that question anymore!
    I said that exact same thing I the Parker thread.

Although you could give a counter argument to the Parker signing that he was the current best player in the entire Premier League so his situation was vastly different.

My post was half meant toung in cheek.

I don't think anything on offer potentially would strengthen our first team.

16. Who Thanked this post

AmericanHotspur (07-02-2012)

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by balooga999 View Post
    I think it's a little harsh to say Moses will never rise past the bottom of the Premier League, he is extremely talented. If you put some talent around him I think he has the chance to be a world class difference maker. If it is Bolton, Wigan, and Blackburn (or Wolves) that do indeed go down Moses would have to be the most prized asset in any of those three squads.
    Moses is definitely talented, but there are certain players who are a) undeniably talented and b) never going to star at a top club. Whether it's due to an inability to step up in big games, an inability to put a team on their back and carry them, or even just a volatile temper that makes them a liability to teams who can generally get decent players without the temper, certain gifted players never rise higher than a relegation battle in the PRem or the lower half of the table. Thomas at West Brom, Taarabt, and N'Zogbia belong in this group as well, I think. Honestly, I think Morrison from United (now at West Ham) may be headed toward this group, which actually brings us to a fairly common thread with a lot of these players: "Ex-[insert elite club name here] player."

First Team Player

Status
    I think for me there is only Hoilett that i would take. I also think that yes he would be happy to sit on the bench (it would hopefully be going from a relegated side to a champions league side), not all the time as he is good enough imo to swap with lennon in some cases as say if we were winning in a game against a lower side and bring him on i don't think he would really weaken us to an extnt. Not be like taking say Ade off and putting Pav on. Apart from that i don't think there is anyone, maybe Rodallega as a fourth striker if we let Saha go in the summer

Banned !

Status
    I don't think any of them are spurs' standard players but Moses, Beasejour, Fletcher and maybe Doyle are just about premier league quality in my opinion.

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter