Register To Comment
    Legend !

Status
    Does anyone know how to go about unlocking an iPhone so it can be used on other networks?

Legend !

Status
    Contact the current network and they'll do it for you. Which network is it on?
    The only genuine way to permanently do it is through the networks or Apple directly, but Apple won't do it for you if the phone was purchased on a contract. You can unofficially get it done by jailbreaking the phone, but it would revert back to the original lock each time there is an update.

First Team Player

Status
    I don't know what the laws are in the UK, in terms of iPhones locked to a network. Here in Australia, all we do is, after purchasing the iPhone we simply call the network the phone is locked into, tell them that we are travelling overseas and require the phone to be unlocked so other sim cards are able to be used. In 10 mins, the iPhone is unlocked. I have had every iPhone since they appeared on the market and have had every one unlocked in 10 mins. Again, I don't know what your consumer rights are in the UK, but, it would unreasonable for your network to expect you to pay the crazy prices one would incur when ROAMING overseas. Good luck!

Legend!

Status
    how new is it? i dont think company's can lock phones anymore, not sure but i am PRETTY sure this is the case now?

Legend !

Status
    Nah, they can still lock them if they choose to. They're entitled to do so if the ohone is purchased on a contract as they're subsidising the cost for you. If you can get a sim from a different network its certainly worth trying it first as it may be unlocked already. Don't try a T-Mob or Orange sim if you're on one of these two as they're part of the same group and their sims work in both networks phones.
    If you definitely do need to get it unlocked and its on O2 or Vodaphone you should be able to get it unlocked for free by filling in the form on the respective website. T-Mob and Orange will need phoning to sort it out, but they'll still do it for you. They also might charge you 20 for the privilege though.

Legend!

Status
    thanks for clearing that up lol, i was told the law had changed but maybe not then. i know it is illegal in some countrys to lock them to a certain company

i got theseeeee cheeessseeburgers mannn

Status
    Craigslist. That's how I got mine done back in the day, '09. iPhone 3g on T-Mobile.

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bradders View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    thanks for clearing that up lol, i was told the law had changed but maybe not then. i know it is illegal in some countrys to lock them to a certain company
    The law hasn't changed yet, but I believe its being worked on. At the moment the only obligation to the networks is that they unlock them if the customer requests it. They are allowed to charge for this service though and Orange for example, charge 20. I believe they are now the only network that charge as T-Mob seem to mostly be unlocked already and the other networks will do it for free.

@MagnaThor, not much point going to Craigslist these days really as the networks do it very quickly anyway and most of them will do it for free.

9. These users say thanks for this post

bradders (16-02-2012),MagnaThor (16-02-2012)

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter