Register To Comment
    Legend !

Status
    Well it seems I have finally succumb to boredom and I have begun to make music and produce Hip Hop beats (J Dilla changed my life... again)

I dont know if any one on here has any experience with music/engineering/production (Im using Fruity Loops 9 XXL Producers edition) so I would love as much feedback as possible!

http://www.soundcloud.com/divided-thoughts

I only made my first beat...I think 5 days ago, Im trying to teach myself how to sample as well, Im aiming for an obvious progression though the beats.

....so if you have any old songs that you would love to hear on a hip hop track let me know!

THTV Donator

Status
    Hi mate,

If you need any help or anything then let me know. I've been using FL Studio for about 7 years. When I'm home from work I'll link you up with my stuff

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Domplo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hi mate,

If you need any help or anything then let me know. I've been using FL Studio for about 7 years. When I'm home from work I'll link you up with my stuff

That would be most appreciated; we've turned in to a real electronic town as well, most of my friends produce but are using ableton so it's hard for me to find anyone I can just ask questions to. Like how to isolate a sample and put effects on it?

boo

Status

1) turn the drums down, the other sounds are getting lost-

i can try and give you a rough rule of thumb with this.

volume 1-10

vocal at 8
    snare at 7
    keys, guitars, hats at 6
    kick and bass at 5

note, nothing is at max volume during the mix. this is because any mix needs headroom to go into the mastering stage.

typical rule of thumb; -6dB max output from the mix.

2) mixing kick and bass

put a 2~3dB eq at 80hz on the kick, 50hz on the bass using a band eq/small bell.

this helps separate the 2 and prevent muddiness.

3) reverb is a transparent tool. if you can hear it, there is usually too much.

4) use your eyes/vision to help you mix, not just your ears.

this plug-in is free, and should work in FL

Flux:: sound and picture development

5) learn aboot compression. the trick to all music. in fact, eq, reverb and compression are the audio engineers magic box of tricks.

hope that helps mate and good luck with your tunez COYS!

5. These users say thanks for this post

AmericanHotspur (10-02-2012),Tott_BeBop (10-02-2012)

Legend !

Status
    just finished another one, first time ive samples two parts of a song. let me know wat u think!

Legend !

Status
    I liked "another introduction" very DJ shadow", they all had a nice vibe. I would work on the beats a bit more. maybe layer some more drum sounds over the ones you have to get a deep, rounder feeling.

also, are you using samples, or playing stuff in. It sounds like samples to me, and therefore needs a little bit more "you".

All in all, you really are on to something there, i liked the general feeling.

Good job.

COYS

8. Who Thanked this post

Tott_BeBop (11-02-2012)

Legend !

Status
    Just finished another one, have a listen

Billie's Holiday by Divided Thoughts on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

must admit though mastering and mixing is hard to solely out of a pair of headphones :S

Legend !

Status
    I produce music to, will post some stuff later on...

Legend !

Status
    shall we just start a separate thread then?

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter