Register To Comment
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Legend !

Status
    Well with a month or so to go before the January transfer window opens I am slowly getting anxious as to whom we might be interested and what our approach to the transfer window will be like. As of right now to me our team looks and plays phenomenal and personally I really wouldn't want to integrate to many new players.

Everyone knows defense is our number one concerned especially with the injuries and aging players we have I would like that issue to be solved with either Samba or Cahill as we could try to snatch on the cheap in 5Mil - 10Mil and only have them integrate into the team.

Obviously that isn't our only concern since come season end Adebayor will probably go back to ****eh and we will be left with Defoe and Pav with Pav likely to leave in January that would leave us with one striker. My hopeful approach to this issue would be going back after Rossi I know he is out for the season and with his contract running out at the end of the season I can see Villarreal a being allot more open to price negotiations and it would show him that we are truly committed to him and that we are big step up especially if we continue to play like we have and get CL football next year.

I would have the same approach with another position and that is is our right wing since we really only have Lennon playing and GdS who isn't fancied much by Harry we are the thinnest there. I would got after another injured player in Farfan especially since he has been already touted by the club who is open to selling him in January.

I think the positives of both Rossi and Farfan joining us in the off season instead of of January far out weight the negatives even if they would be fit. From adjusting to the new league to the pressure to automatically perform which could carry into the next season, which I now call Torres Phenomenon. In the mean while they would greatly benefit from gelling with the players in the off season and make the transition as smooth as possible. Add to that the cost for which we would be getting these players and to me it seems like a win-win situation since we strengthened our positions and saved a considerable amount of money.

These are just some thoughts that I had it would be nice to hear what your guys thoughts on the upcoming window is and what you guys would do.

First Team Player

Status
    I dont believe Levy will splash the cash on January. Club finances are not good for huge transfers.

Rossi might be fine if we can get a cheap deal. With his huge injury, everyone is probably waiting for the summer to transfer him.

If we are going to play in CL, I believe we need someone better than Samba. They are asking too much for Cahill, so I dont see us making a deal on January. Maybe if Bolton is relegated this season, his price may reduce but then there will be lots of teams looking for him. I think we should invest to Caulker as CB instead.

We have Pienaar who can play as right winger, Kranjcar can also fill that gap if needed. I dont think that RW is a crucial need.

We definitely need a striker though. I dont see us signing Ade if he does not agree a huge blow on his wage. Pav will not see another February in WHL (I hope so!!!). I dont have a name on my mind now but we have to find someone who can both head and shoot the ball, preferably someone who is already playing English football.

Legend !

Status
    Why is the clubs finances not good for a big transfer?

4. Who Thanked this post

boo (25-11-2011)

Legend !

Status
    I think Kaboul has made our weak defense look a lot stronger this season. He can be a good CB for us with Dawson. It'd be nice to add another, but I'm becoming more and more comfortable with Kaboul in the game.

To me, our biggest need is striker. I don't think we can meet Ade's pay grade, which sucks cause he wants to be here. I think we need to add two strikers. For january we should bring in a versatile striker like Farfan or Hernandez and then in the summer when Ade is leaving sign a more traditional striker like Negredo or Llorente.

There's also the whole Rafa deal. Some love him, some hate that we need to adapt to make him work. I say we just get used to playing the 4411 or 4231 and bring in another vdv type player. This kid who replaced pastore, Ilicic, he's a beast and it'd be great if we could get him.

Otherwise yea, this is Redknapp so we'll hear him talk about every player for every club. Levy will leave it to the last minute and we'll get something like Moussa Dembele instead. He seems to be a good player, but not as good as any of our starting 11 atm. We'll probably also go for Cahill, but I think he's unnecessary.

I'm ***y and I know it

Status
    I see a couple of little signings 2.5m & below. Basically young players 16-19.

I cant see us buying a marquee striker & with the chavs struggling in defense I fear Cahill will go to them or the scum for the money.

Daniel will not sanction a huge fee (& it will be huge) for Rossi or another top striker like Llorente as nobody knows what is going to happen with Harry (court case or England).

It's a shame and I hope we dont end up falling behind come the new year.

Legend !

Status
    Well, the only reason I think we might land a striker (though not at the level of Llorente or Rossi) is because I don't see Pav being here after January. He never plays and will almost certainly force a move. I think someone more at the level of Doumbia (still expensive, though not as much as Rossi, etc.) will be where we look if indeed Pav leaves. We cannot afford to have only Ade and Defoe as our strikers after the window closes. I also still think we could use another CB like Samba, particularly if Bassong heads to QPR.

Status
    Pav will definitely be gone. The club run the risk of losing him on a free in the summer.

As well as Gomes & Gio since their deals run out in the summer as well.
    Last edited by spursman18; 23-11-2011 at 07:22 PM.

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDub View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, the only reason I think we might land a striker (though not at the level of Llorente or Rossi) is because I don't see Pav being here after January. He never plays and will almost certainly force a move. I think someone more at the level of Doumbia (still expensive, though not as much as Rossi, etc.) will be where we look if indeed Pav leaves. We cannot afford to have only Ade and Defoe as our strikers after the window closes. I also still think we could use another CB like Samba, particularly if Bassong heads to QPR.
    if pav goes and the fee is right then it might be the right time for leandro. This is someone levy wouldnt see as a risk depending on price due to him being young and touted across europe meaning that any incoming manager would be alright with him coming in and also he would have a decent sell on fee even if he isnt wanted. Doumbia would also be a good shout as well.

Legend !

Status
    Hopefully we get some striker back-up. Leandro would be ideal, as would Abel Hernandez, but I fear they will cost too much.

I like the look of Agbonlahor actually. But I doubt Villa would sell. Papiss Cisse, Mandzukic, and Derdiyok are my picks from Germany. Giroud, Remy, and Gomis from the French League. From Italy, obviously Hernandez. Jovetic would be a good VDV/ winger cover.

Just names to put out there.

11. These users say thanks for this post

liam (24-11-2011),PonchoTHFC (23-11-2011),Sraew (23-11-2011),StPaulSpur (26-11-2011)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Maro View Post
    I dont believe Levy will splash the cash on January. Club finances are not good for huge transfers.
    We have 20m just in CCE....

I'd reckon we have a conditional 35m to 40m to spend, and as always Levy/Lewis can inject the club with cash if they see the need. Don't confuse intentionally being frugal with not having the ability to spend, it could be the case that Levy wanted to see how the first half went before committing money on a big transfer.

To the question we still need:

Rotation #9 - Possibly someone young.
    Versatile Forward - Preferably someone who can play ST/RW/CAM
    Center Back - I'd prefer someone different then Cahill.

Also for everyone suggesting Rossi. Rossi picked up a pretty serious injury, one that could possibly effect his career. I'm not sure this will have a long term effect but his price just dipped massively. Villarreal's league form isn't helping either. Villarreal without any European football cannot afford their squad, it's as simple as that. If this continues they'll be looking to sell.
    Last edited by BlueCrew LA; 23-11-2011 at 06:57 PM.

13. These users say thanks for this post

liam (24-11-2011),PonchoTHFC (23-11-2011)

Legend !

Status
    Ah January, yet another month where I'll end it frustrated, crying and disappointed, much like when I visit **********s. I just can't think straight about our transfers, 'Arry surprised me as much as anyone else on how good a signing Parker and Ade actually are, and Friedel, top bloke.

This window though? I don't know who I want, where I want said signings or anything, we're playing well, do we distrupt the harmony with big name signings or keep it basically the way it is, but with a few back-ups? I'm stuck.

15. These users say thanks for this post

NundyYido (23-11-2011),PonchoTHFC (23-11-2011)

Status
    Put it this way folks we need to move Pav, Bass and Gio. If we can't don't expect much movement. If we would have moved Bass and Gio the story of the summer transfer window would have been a little different. I'm convinced this isn't because we need the transfer fees but I think it's clear how Levy thinks, one out one in.

Player in Training

Status
    Unfortunately his two goals last night against ****y will have hiked the price again but I'd still love to see us moving for Cavani. Hes a fantastic player and still got his best years ahead.

First Team Player

Status
    I never said we dont have money at the moment to spend bigtime. I just dont see our team spending 40m on one guy and look for other signings to strengthen the squad even more. Also, having that much money now does not mean we always have the potential of a 50m signing. To be honest, our income is not as much as our rivals. That's what I tried to mean by saying our finances are not good, it was a generic comment.

Also, our management is not like the American, Arab, or Russian businessman, I dont think that he will borrow money to make transfers, especially when budget needed for a new stadium. And I totally agree with them, I believe they managed the club very well the last couple of seasons.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Maro View Post
    I never said we dont have money at the moment to spend bigtime. I just dont see our team spending 40m on one guy and look for other signings to strengthen the squad even more. Also, having that much money now does not mean we always have the potential of a 50m signing. To be honest, our income is not as much as our rivals. That's what I tried to mean by saying our finances are not good, it was a generic comment.

Also, our management is not like the American, Arab, or Russian businessman, I dont think that he will borrow money to make transfers, especially when budget needed for a new stadium. And I totally agree with them, I believe they managed the club very well the last couple of seasons.
    I hear what you're saying.

Just to add though Lewis could easily afford to inject enough cash for a marquee signing but he probably won't. Stadium financing wouldn't necessarily hinder our ability to compete in the market, especially how we intend to fund it. If we can move a couple I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 or 3 signings totaling 35m. I think the frugal tag gets overblown a bit. If Atletico would have accepted our bid for Aguero we would have spent 40m last January, same with the 27m Rossi bid. In the summer we bid for A. Hernadez, Gervinho, Leandro and Dembele, all around 10m-15m. I'm probably forgetting about others but those were bids confirmed by the clubs. I think we would spend but Levy is looking for reasonable deals. Our finances currently probably give him space to stretch a bit further but due to previous windows I'm not going to predict anything.

20. These users say thanks for this post

liam (24-11-2011),Maro (23-11-2011)

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter