Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Legend !

Status
    I'm still a relative novice when it comes to football strategy, so can someone explain to me why Harry wants to move Bale back to the left back position eventually? He's such a force from the left wing, why pull him back? Will he still be able to get up front for his crosses? I've heard people say we could use him the way Chelsea uses Ashley Cole, but it seems like he has a bigger impact on games at left wing than Cole does for Chelsea at LB. Anyone willing to explain this to me? I'm trying to understand the rationale and am just not seeing it.

Welcome back Contrast!

Status
    Last time I heard Harry say that was back at the very start of the season, I'm sure 11 goals in all competitions later, even Harry is starting to think he's more suited to attacking.

Player in Training

Status
    I hope he doesn't go back to left back. Think of all the game winning goals and assists he did this season.

champions league vip

Status
    Theres a simple answer to this imo.....If and when Bale does go back to left back in the future it will only be a option. Bale can play both so why not use him there when the time is right.

He's been playing left wing nearly every game so if we were to move him back it would keep other teams guessing and not be so obvious. Playing him from a deeper role would be harder for other teams to mark him as he can make his runs from a deeper position.

And if it doesn't work we can always move him back!!! It keeps teams guessing.... It's all about option's seeing so many teams are starting to double up on him. To allow him to go to left back would be a great option but that doesn't mean he'll stay there.
    Last edited by Roscono3; 14-01-2011 at 07:31 PM.

5. Who Thanked this post

mattspurz (15-01-2011)

Legend !

Status
    Gareth Bale doesnt know how to tackle, Really, he doesnt.

He's like afraid to slide tackle!

Legend !

Status
    the only reason why bale would go to left back would be this formation

--------------------Gomes-----------------------
    ---Kaboul-------Dawson-----Gallas------Bale--
    --------------Huddlestone---Modric------------
    ---Lennon-----------VdV--------------Suarez--
    -------------------Defoe-------------------------

This lineup is like ***.

Legend !

Status
    So, basically when we have another option at left mid who is better there than BAE is at left back, Bale would move? Is it possible Townsend could mature into that role, allowing Bale to move back?

champions league vip

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by StPaulSpur View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, basically when we have another option at left mid who is better there than BAE is at left back, Bale would move? Is it possible Townsend could mature into that role, allowing Bale to move back?
    Can you not remember Modric or Niko playing there?

At the back you could have a flat back four including BALE.. Then two holding midfielders with three attacking midfielders and one striker. something like a....

4 2 3 1 formation

Legend !

Status
    Well, Modric can play on the wing, but we already struggle in center mid... at least as long as Huddlestone is hurt. Maybe when Hudd is back that could work (esp. if we land Diarra), but I don't see it right now. And if Nico were a better option, wouldn't that already be the lineup, Nico on the left, Bale in at lb?

champions league vip

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by StPaulSpur View Post
    Well, Modric can play on the wing, but we already struggle in center mid... at least as long as Huddlestone is hurt. Maybe when Hudd is back that could work (esp. if we land Diarra), but I don't see it right now. And if Nico were a better option, wouldn't that already be the lineup, Nico on the left, Bale in at lb?
    I agree with most of this but its not a better option other wise we would be doing it all the time...Its just an option!!!

Which is great as it keeps other teams guessing....

THTV Donator

Status
    Ignoring his lack of defensive abilities, playing at LB gives him more time on the ball, and he's able to see the more of the space he runs in to. Whoever is playing at LM/LW will be puling the attention of the RM/RW and/or RWB/RB away leaving bags more space for Bale. The problem that also comes with this is it causes our LM/LW to track back more with the space that will be exposed from his runs.

It's not a bad way to play, just currently it's not the best option. With more players we could go for a more all-out attack formation with him at LB/LWB.

First Team Player

Status
    Also there is the distinct possiblity that harry more of a very distant future. For example when he's around 30 he may not be able to keep running all game like he is now. By then he'll probably be able to tackle and become a very good lb. Many players move into the back line as they age.

Legend !

Status
    OK, that makes more sense. I would be curious to see how that works, perhaps something to try in a match with a bottom half side, like Wolves or Wigan? Looking at the upcoming month, it's a tough call b/c we have some tough upcoming fixtures, at Newcastle, at Sunderland, against Bolton, against Arsenal.... On the one hand, we need a strong side for those fixtures. But on the other, we could run Bale into the ground if we play him in each of those plus the Champions League matches w/ Milan. What do you think?

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Roscono3 View Post
    Theres a simple answer to this imo.....If and when Bale does go back to left back in the future it will only be a option. Bale can play both so why not use him there when the time is right.

He's been playing left wing nearly every game so if we were to move him back it would keep other teams guessing and not be so obvious. Playing him from a deeper role would be harder for other teams to mark him as he can make his runs from a deeper position.

And if it doesn't work we can always move him back!!! It keeps teams guessing.... It's all about option's seeing so many teams are starting to double up on him. To allow him to go to left back would be a great option but that doesn't mean he'll stay there.
    good point it seems he gets majority of the attention now

Legend !

Status
    It would be madness to reconvert Gareth Bale to a left back!

In an incredibly short space of time he has gone from being a decent young full back with some potential to a world class wide left midfielder!

His goal scoring record alone should be enough to prevent anyone putting him into the back four - where the pace & power of his runs are unlikely to result in goals on a regular basis!

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter