Register To Comment
    Legend !

Status
    Soccer Insider - MLS strike averted as players' union reaches deal

okay so i know its probably not the main concern of the vast ammount of people on this forum however for hose in the north west part of the globe this is pretty big news if you want to follow MLS. glad to see that the season is going to go foward. Crew for the MLS title this year!

Status
    MLS ain't much, but it is nice to have games to watch after the PL and the World Cup. However, before then, I can't say I'll probably watch any. I know I should, I just can't get into it.

talking in the wind

Status
    ohhh thank god for that, ill sleep well tonight with that knowledge ,cheers ha ha

Legend !

Status
    I have no clue about the MLS ,but at the blackburn game the San Jose Earthquakes boss talking to Paul Coyte at half time. They beat west ham (i guess thats not too hard) in a friendly, in comparison with the rest of the teams in the MLS how do they rank?

Welcome back Contrast!

Status
    I thought it was funny that they beat us a day or two earlier but we didn't mention it during the half time interview!

I guess I'll follow the Earthquakes if they are our affiliation.

Legend !

Status
    okay so obviously that link isn't too good. ESPN has better one this apparently was the article that won the race to being "first" to be posted online. However while it isn't as big as most european leagues i figured that with enough americans that we have on here it would be some good info. glad i can rest your mind there Ire.

7. Who Thanked this post

thfcire (20-03-2010)

Legend !

Status
    I am with JM on this one I have tried but I just can't hell I don't even follow the Mexican league here are a few reasons why MLS will probably stay were it is at.

1. Can't stretch this enough as long as it's recognized as soccer forget about it.

2.Their MAIN purpose for the MLS is to become better than the EPL rather than establishing it's own worth over time.

3. Their second main purpose is to be better than the Mexican league...also a worthless effort. The racism that comes with that is just unbelievable. I remember a long time ago I saw Tigres played against Galaxy, Tigres at the team had been the worst team in the Mexican league and they won 3 goals to nil. Now I know there are always shouts of racism in almost every football match and the Mexican crowds also shout words but the shouting I heard at this match was just WOW and sadly that tradition continues. Not just from the crowds but from the players themselves at one point.

4. Concacaf refs are bad enough as it is and alot of them make it to the MLS....yikes.

5. The NFL has a strangle hold on it they know the power that is REAL FOOTBALL and they don't want to loose their billions. If only MLS could break from it.

Every time an MLS team defeats a Mexican team they make it seem as if they beat a Team like Barcelona or something and even the commentary you can tell which side they are on and really ruins their professionalism if they had any to being with.

Nice to know there will be football on their part tho.

Legend !

Status
    haha good points Javi. sad to know that does occur in regards to the racism. I didn't notice it too much when i went to the Crew v. Toluca up in Columbus however i don't speak spanish so for all i know they could be just cheering on Toluca or calling me every bad thing in the book. lol.

However the league is getting better if only a little at a time. remeber the main thing is that it is established long enough to where kids see it and want to do it. so 20 years when you start getting young kids that grew up of only knowing that pro-soccer exist in the states that is when you should hopefully start seeing better players coming up.

Every league though wants to be the best and if you want to be the best though you have to aim for it. everyone knows that the US has money to throw at sports so you can't ovbiously go against the NFL at this time but over time you have to hope that is the case that the MLS would like to push over to it.

as for concacaf ref's making it to the MLS is that true? i figured the US would just use their own refs while the other concacaf ref's stay in their country to do their own leagues. very intresting if you what stated is true though.

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by steelktm View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    haha good points Javi. sad to know that does occur in regards to the racism. I didn't notice it too much when i went to the Crew v. Toluca up in Columbus however i don't speak spanish so for all i know they could be just cheering on Toluca or calling me every bad thing in the book. lol.

However the league is getting better if only a little at a time. remeber the main thing is that it is established long enough to where kids see it and want to do it. so 20 years when you start getting young kids that grew up of only knowing that pro-soccer exist in the states that is when you should hopefully start seeing better players coming up.

Every league though wants to be the best and if you want to be the best though you have to aim for it. everyone knows that the US has money to throw at sports so you can't ovbiously go against the NFL at this time but over time you have to hope that is the case that the MLS would like to push over to it.

as for concacaf ref's making it to the MLS is that true? i figured the US would just use their own refs while the other concacaf ref's stay in their country to do their own leagues. very intresting if you what stated is true though.

Well my brother is the one that keeps up with the MLS and Mex League matches and he always recognizes the refs last few times he watched MLS games he recognized a few of the refs so it may be true....

Btw Steel if you ever find yourself in another game like that ill teach ya a few words you can shout back lol. I understand about everyone wanting to have the best league but you know IMO it's better to establish your own football first and when it's strong enough you will start turning heads.

As for the NFL I bet you if we get people to call it tackle ball little by little it will catch on and the MLS can be the MLF....JAJA MILF . New stadiums for each team wouldn't hurt either they shouldn't have to share stadiums with American Football teams.

Btw this is totally out of the blue....NEW YORK RED BULLS COME ON!!! Is that the best they could come up with?:P Why not New York Mad Pigeons ? Then they would be called the MP'S:P.

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by P.R.Javi View Post
    Well my brother is the one that keeps up with the MLS and Mex League matches and he always recognizes the refs last few times he watched MLS games he recognized a few of the refs so it may be true....

Btw Steel if you ever find yourself in another game like that ill teach ya a few words you can shout back lol. I understand about everyone wanting to have the best league but you know IMO it's better to establish your own football first and when it's strong enough you will start turning heads.

As for the NFL I bet you if we get people to call it tackle ball little by little it will catch on and the MLS can be the MLF....JAJA MILF . New stadiums for each team wouldn't hurt either they shouldn't have to share stadiums with American Football teams.

Btw this is totally out of the blue....NEW YORK RED BULLS COME ON!!! Is that the best they could come up with?:P Why not New York Mad Pigeons ? Then they would be called the MP'S:P.

NY is called that because they are owned by Red Bull. same reason why there is a Red Bull team in the swiss league. same reason why there is Red Bulls Racing and Toro Rosso in F1. :P

yeah well since Crew got knocked out i'll have to wait till group stages start back up. However i have tried at some points in time to tell people that NFL should be called tackle ball and i get this look like i'm anti-american and hate freedom and all that. lol. it is quite funny.

As for stadiums they slowly are getting there. As long as the lines get covered up then i have no problem with sharing stadiums. but yeah when you have like the huge logo in the middle with the big team names in the end zone and then the NFL lines are white while the MLS lines are yellow that is pretty stupid and hopefully that changes soon for New England, and the baseball dirt that KC has to deal with. also the field turf in general is dumb as well. really slows the game down i think.

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by steelktm View Post
    NY is called that because they are owned by Red Bull. same reason why there is a Red Bull team in the swiss league. same reason why there is Red Bulls Racing and Toro Rosso in F1. :P

yeah well since Crew got knocked out i'll have to wait till group stages start back up. However i have tried at some points in time to tell people that NFL should be called tackle ball and i get this look like i'm anti-american and hate freedom and all that. lol. it is quite funny.

As for stadiums they slowly are getting there. As long as the lines get covered up then i have no problem with sharing stadiums. but yeah when you have like the huge logo in the middle with the big team names in the end zone and then the NFL lines are white while the MLS lines are yellow that is pretty stupid and hopefully that changes soon for New England, and the baseball dirt that KC has to deal with. also the field turf in general is dumb as well. really slows the game down i think.
    I kind of figured that with the Red Bull but why not you know NY has alot of history and the team could of had a better name but eh what are you gonna do.

I know what you mean with the whole anti American thing it's like if you think differently you get labeled a terrorist lol. You know one thing that could help the both the MLS and other leagues in the region is if they start transferring players more widely pull a Chicago Fire they had Blanco for a while and it did wonders for their team hell I remember you couldn't find a Blanco Fire shirt shirt for a while.

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Enfield_spurs View Post
    I have no clue about the MLS ,but at the blackburn game the San Jose Earthquakes boss talking to Paul Coyte at half time. They beat west ham (i guess thats not too hard) in a friendly, in comparison with the rest of the teams in the MLS how do they rank?
    They finished next to last in the Western Conference... 2nd to last overall last year.

USA Major League Soccer Standings - ESPN Soccernet

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by P.R.Javi View Post
    I am with JM on this one I have tried but I just can't hell I don't even follow the Mexican league here are a few reasons why MLS will probably stay were it is at.

1. Can't stretch this enough as long as it's recognized as soccer forget about it.

2.Their MAIN purpose for the MLS is to become better than the EPL rather than establishing it's own worth over time.

3. Their second main purpose is to be better than the Mexican league...also a worthless effort. The racism that comes with that is just unbelievable. I remember a long time ago I saw Tigres played against Galaxy, Tigres at the team had been the worst team in the Mexican league and they won 3 goals to nil. Now I know there are always shouts of racism in almost every football match and the Mexican crowds also shout words but the shouting I heard at this match was just WOW and sadly that tradition continues. Not just from the crowds but from the players themselves at one point.

4. Concacaf refs are bad enough as it is and alot of them make it to the MLS....yikes.

5. The NFL has a strangle hold on it they know the power that is REAL FOOTBALL and they don't want to loose their billions. If only MLS could break from it.

Every time an MLS team defeats a Mexican team they make it seem as if they beat a Team like Barcelona or something and even the commentary you can tell which side they are on and really ruins their professionalism if they had any to being with.

Nice to know there will be football on their part tho.
    I think you are way off regarding the purpose of the MLS. While they are trying to grow, they have been extremely conservative over the years. I think the primary goal of the MLS is to survive... that in itself has taken a fair amount of effort over the years.

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by US_Spurs_Fan View Post
    I think you are way off regarding the purpose of the MLS. While they are trying to grow, they have been extremely conservative over the years. I think the primary goal of the MLS is to survive... that in itself has taken a fair amount of effort over the years.
    Good statement truth be told I want it to get better so there can be more competition in Concacaf itself.

Legend !

Status
    i agree, i need to have the Crew to win the CCL these days.

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter