Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scotland 2026?

VIP Member

Status
    We're all gutted that England did not get the 2018 World Cup & we've been told that we cannot go for another until AFTER 2030!

So, what about Scotland for 2026 then? Scotland have never hosted it, the SPL could do with a lift so there would be a legacy card to play AND they have the passion for the game & we'd all get up there easily from England & Wales.

Just a thought

Status
    I've been hearing that China is going to make a strong push for 2026. Knowing how corrupt FIFA is and is becoming everyday China would be perfect for them. Also, i'm seeing a lot of buzz for Uruguay 2030. The 100 year Aniversery of the World Cup. I know Uruguay is a rather small country but I wouldn't be completely against this. Maybe they can share the matches with surrounding countries simliar to Korea, I think Argentina is already on board.

Status
    It will go anywhere that they don't play football .

They need the new markets apparantely

First Team Player

Status
    I'd like it if England and Scotland could joint host the 100 year anniversary world cup, in 2030 I think.

Considering that these two countries started the game and all.

Oh right...new markets and uh...bringing cultures together? And erm...mending the world's divides and conflicts through football. Forgot about that.

groany fooker lol

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by basskadet View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We're all gutted that England did not get the 2018 World Cup & we've been told that we cannot go for another until AFTER 2030!

So, what about Scotland for 2026 then? Scotland have never hosted it, the SPL could do with a lift so there would be a legacy card to play AND they have the passion for the game & we'd all get up there easily from England & Wales.

Just a thought
    and do ya think the jocks wouldnt wind us up much lol

6. Who Thanked this post

thfcire (05-12-2010)

talking in the wind

Status
    im guessing it would be a joint scotish irish bid,they talked about a joint bid for the euros a couple of years back

Legend !

Status
    China has 2026 in the bag. 2030 is the next open slot and who knows what will happen then since all the big hitters will bid.

Legend !

Status
    First of all the reason we can't host it to 2030 is that the World Cup cannot be played on the same continent if that continent has held one of the last two World Cups. Therefore no European country can hold the World Cup until 2030. Russia qualifies as being on the European continent.

Anyway it won't happen because Scotland would be too small. It would need to be a joint bid. Really I think the entire UK should submit a bid.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by USpur View Post
    China has 2026 in the bag.
    Why ? I didn't see a vote .

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev John Ripsher View Post
    Why ? I didn't see a vote .
    Opening up China to FIFA would be huge money for FIFA, not a great WC, but mega mega bucks. If FIFA was looking at hosting the best WC possible, then Russia and Qatar wouldn't have been in the running.

Snarky remark that isn't meant to be snarky: does the vote even matter?

Status
    I understand what you are saying , but it does circumvent the process somewhat ...

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev John Ripsher View Post
    I understand what you are saying , but it does circumvent the process somewhat ...
    Yup, FIFA seems to embrace corruption. The best chance for a good 2026 WC location would be a unified call for reform of the exec committee after the farcical selection for the 2018/2022 locations. I'd be shocked if anything but cosmetic changes to the system happen. Instead, Sepp will start the sh*tstorm that is goal line tech if the calls for changes in the voting system get too loud.

Legend !

Status
    There's still one continent that hasn't hosted it! Perhaps Antarctica for 2026 is a realistic possibility. A new frontier for football and, if the temperature won't be a problem in Qatar, why should it be in Antarctica????

Legend !

Status
    i'm not sure China would get given it by Fifa. Considering they have to give visas to everyone regardless i could see that getting exploited by protestors and legal loopholes for some tibet protestors banned from the country or something, so they might not even want that. China's an even stranger country than Russia and Qatar and that could be a step too far even for Fifa.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
    There's still one continent that hasn't hosted it! Perhaps Antarctica for 2026 is a realistic possibility. A new frontier for football and, if the temperature won't be a problem in Qatar, why should it be in Antarctica????
    When you think about it..... It makes all the sense in the world...

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter