Register To Comment
    Legend !

Status
    So after the news this week on Capello's decision to exclude Beckham from the England squad becuase he's too old, what are our thoughts.

Personally I think the England manager handled it very very poorly, revealing the news to a nation in an after game interview without telling David himself 1st. I'd have been pretty miffed being Beckham.

As far as playing again, I think we'd be stupid to get rid of him out of the squad. When fit I think for a sub at least he's the best crosser of the ball in the world still. And the motivation and support he's giving to the younger players is fantastic. I've seen several interviews from current players young and old defending him to the hill, and i'm with them.

Beckham for England! lol

talking in the wind

Status
    does anyone else get the feeling that beckham was kinda puting himself forward for the job by being there at the wc.i get the feeling he was siding with the players over there,he has to learn that he cant be everyones mate,he has to be either a player or on the managers side.now thats just me reading betweenthelines i could be miles off,but fabio thanking him for his part at the wc has it in my mind

THTV Donator

Status
    Beckham would probably get into coaching/managing - but would agree that his presence at the World Cup was partially related to his ambition. I think the main reason why he went to the World Cup was to urge his team mates on PLUS it helped make up for him missing his last ever World Cup. I agree with Luke that Fabio's approach to all this was wrong. It would be silly to discount a player because he is "too old". At the end of the day - no matter what people say, Beckham is a legend and I reckon why day Fabio will be begging Becks to return, like he did with Carragher...

talking in the wind

Status
    thats what has my alarm bell ringing,hes always backed beckham in the past and evenagreed to bring him along to the wc,now hes saying hes too old and kinda blanking him,something went on over tere im telling ya

Legend !

Status
    Capello's stubbornness will win here though i'm afraid, Beckham could play the best he's ever played and earn his way back into the squad like he's planning. But if Mr. Capello has made up his mind that he's done, I don't think we'll be seeing Beckham again while he's in charge (after his farewell game in November).

Banned !

Status
    I think Cappello's English came out the wrong way. What he meant to say was Becham wouldn't feature in the side while he iis rebuilding the team with younger players. The press have jumped on Capello. Cappello doesn't understand that the celebrity 'Beckham is a money making machine for the FA and has a powerful PR set -up behind him who can flog the FA around the globe. If you have to give him a few more caps, that the game. He is not there for football reasons.

Status
    After two-and-a-half years I think Capello ought to have perfected his English by now .

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev John Ripsher View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After two-and-a-half years I think Capello ought to have perfected his English by now .
    Try learning a language in 2 and a half years perfectly.... You won't Plus he is only learning footballing terms, when it comes to something out of his knowledge, he's buggered as you can see.

Legend !

Status
    didn't know you could be too old to play for your country. . . i always thought it came down to skill level compared with everyone else in your position that you are playing for. guess that's why i don't get paid the big manager bucks for a national team.

Legend !

Status
    If Blanco could play for Mexico then Beckham could surely play for England.

Maybe Capello is looking to fill the England squad with youngsters?

Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo

Status
    The sooner Capello fooks off the better.

The man has no presence any more and the snub from so many experienced England players tells you all you need to know about his man management skills.

Beckham is a great of the game and he brings so much to the game he cant be snubbed by this no one from Italy.

Capello out.

Legend !

Status
    The players who quit the team were aging and would only play bit part roles, so it may not be true that their decisions were solely down to Capello's treatment of players. Although in the cases of both Wes Brown and Paul Robinson, they both have been in and out of favour with Capello so there may also be more to it

As for Becks, he is hardly one for the future. Capello will probably be going for a bit of new blood and creativity in the side, and while Becks is a good player, he won't surprise anyone, and he doesn't really bring anything unique to the table. As a national team manager, Capello will need to make the most out of his time with the players, and he can't afford to include Becks as part of some PR stunt. For the development of the national team to take place, new players must be brought in to form a new core. There is plenty of leadership and t shirt sales in the squad as it is

Banned !

Status
    Beckham should just chill and go play 'Celebrity'. What more can he do on the actual pitch..Adam Johnson or our Lennon can be developed in his position. What is this ..? Gimme ah break..! He should go an flog products in the far-east, Where apperently he is the best soccer player in the world from the UK...!

All the squad think he is a flash git anyway...

More caps than Bobby Moore. You sure...!!
    Last edited by Blackrussian; 16-08-2010 at 06:25 AM.

Legend !

Status
    Beckham is inspiration to the team... he did get told by Cappello's assistant that he was no longer in England's plans before the press conference...

But he should never be discounted from England yeah he's getting old but he still is fit enough to play for AC Milan therefore I think he's fit enough to play for England despite his age

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter