Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    First Team Player

Status
    Now that Spurs are officially in the group stages... I just thought this would be a nice talking point.

Here is how the $$ was distributed from the 2010/11 Europa League: http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/...5_DOWNLOAD.pdf

FC Porto - 7.8 million (Champions)
    Villareal - 9.04 (semi-finals)
    Bayern Leverkusen - 7.4 (Round of 16)
    Besiktas - 8.4 (Round of 32)

English sides:
    City - 6.1 (Round of 16)
    Liverpool - 6.1 (Round of 16)

The reason why Villareal & Besiktas have higher prize pools than Porto is because of "market pool" -- not really sure what that column means but Porto's is very low compared to some other sides. My guess is that it has something to do with how many fans watched their games on TV or something. Hint: Everyone needs to watch Spurs win or lose (get as many people to turn on their TVs as possible, haha!) so that the market pool skyrockets. Spurs can lose in Round of 32 and get more than the champions!

Finally, is it worth it? If Spurs win the whole thing, they will probably get somewhere around 8-11 million Euros (depending on how much UEFA increases the prizes this year) -- that's almost enough to cover the rumored Diarra transfer (10-12 million).

In comparison, FC Twente made 13+ million from just completing the Champions League group stage last year, Spurs made more than that (14+) in just market pool and 31 million total: http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/uefaorg/Finance/01/66/11/07/1661107_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Legend !

Status
    Not sure the financial "rewards" are worth being in this competition!

Incidentally, the first leg of the tie drew very good ratings for ITV4 of 1.6M (with a peak of 1.8M at 8.00 PM - assume by that time the game & tie was over and some viewers turned off or switched over after that time).

I'd also assume that when the figures come in tomorrow for tonight's game, ITV4 will have had a lower audience as it was "non-competitive" so to speak!

First Team Player

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlotti View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure the financial "rewards" are worth being in this competition!
    You know, I've been wondering if there are other rewards to doing well in the Europa League. Clearly, the financial upside isn't too much of a motivator (although, 8million Euros will help some). Is there any upside? Certainly, it must be worth something to be able to get the younger players experience on an international stage, but does winning Europa mean anything? I guess what I'm trying to say is, if we win Europa, can I go over to my friend Gooner friend and say, "Hey, Check out that cool new trophy the Spurs got, you Gooner b*itch!" because I would love that.

THTV Donator

Status
    I'm sure sponsors like having further exposure in Europe as well.

Legend !

Status
    Although not every game is covered live in Asia a lot are and Spurs certainly will be ... there's no such thing as bad advertising so although not in the CL status still from an image point of view well worth winning.

Unless we sell about a dozen players this week we will have a plenty big enough squad to field a very competitive Europa League team.

Putting another European Trophy in the cabinet is of course well worth doing, and Europa League results count in the clubs UEFA ranking so when we get back in the Champions League this will be important .....

First Team Player

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by deejbah View Post
    I'm sure sponsors like having further exposure in Europe as well.
    Exactly... Levy isn't stupid, there's a reason we have two shirt sponsors and made sure we won at Hearts.

Also, fcuk the prize money - if we get past the group stages with the reserves then I wanna win the thing for the sake of winning it. Teams that win the Europa League generally go on to great things domestically and we're the best club in the competition this year. I'd rather have two Mickey Mouse trophies in the past 6 years than none at all like our friends down the road.

7. Who Thanked this post

Wheretheheckistottenham? (26-08-2011)

Welcome back Contrast!

Status
    Probably pays for Adebayor for the year.

First Team Player

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheretheheckistottenham? View Post
    You know, Is there any upside? Certainly, it must be worth something to be able to get the younger players experience on an international stage...
    As long as Harry plays them, I have no problem with that. All depends on who Spurs are playing on the weekend, but he can mix in a few first teamers as needed. Would like to see a lot more Livermore and Townsend. Jake won't see much time in the XI unless there are injuries between Huddlestone, Sandro & Co.

Legend !

Status
    It's not really worth it if you're simply in the competition. However, it's a different story if you actually win the thing as it will do our reputation a world of good.

First Team Player

Status
    I would do like Harry, play some youngsters and hope to get past the group stages, then we will see who we come up against and how we are doing in the league and if we have injuries. Nowadays team who dominate lesser leagues and are rich have easier winning the EL like Porto, Zenit and so on. Tottenham maybe have a better first team than those teams but we dont play it in the EL, they do.

Legend !

Status
    Its been nice getting to play some of our guys that don't get a game in the league often.

Legend !

Status
    http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/...8_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Today Uefa released the amounts of price money clubs got from the CL and the EL.
    €2.950.296 is the total amount of money we made from participating in the Europa League last season (excluding ticket sales).
    Last edited by White Hart Dutch; 13-07-2012 at 01:13 PM.

First Team Player

Status
    I cringe every time people bash on EL here... It's like Spurs shouldn't even dignify themselves playing in such a lowly competition. First lineup... nah, 3rd string is more than enough, right?

15. Who Thanked this post

Seajay (13-07-2012)

Legend !

Status
    When I play Football Manager, I always try my best to win the Europa league. If I do badly in it, board and fan confidence goes down and I'd be in trouble!

Legend !

Status
    I'd rather win it for the trophy than the financial aspect...

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter