Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dave Mackay

Player in Training

Status
    Curious to know where you guys would rate Dave Mackay in a list of all-time greats at Tottenham?
    There have been some magnificent players at White Hart Lane down the years. (Danny Blanchflower, John White, Gazza, Ozzie Ardiles, Pat Jennings to name but a few) So where would Mackay fit in?
    Whenever Dave makes it back home to Tynecastle he is rightly treated as a hero, standing ovation as soon as he steps onto the pitch. Does he receive the same adulation at White Hart Lane?

Would be great to see him at one or both of the games.

Legend !

Status
    right up there with the best of them,

3. Who Thanked this post

these are small those cows are far away

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by безумный Владим View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Curious to know where you guys would rate Dave Mackay in a list of all-time greats at Tottenham?
    There have been some magnificent players at White Hart Lane down the years. (Danny Blanchflower, John White, Gazza, Ozzie Ardiles, Pat Jennings to name but a few) So where would Mackay fit in?
    Whenever Dave makes it back home to Tynecastle he is rightly treated as a hero, standing ovation as soon as he steps onto the pitch. Does he receive the same adulation at White Hart Lane?

Would be great to see him at one or both of the games.
    Had the privelage of watching him in the flesh. One of the toughest fukcers you'll ever see. Would certainly make today's so-called 'hard men' look soft as ****e. One of my all-time favourite players for this club.
    Last edited by Rivron; 05-08-2011 at 11:31 PM.

5. Who Thanked this post

Legend !

Status
    If there is a pantheon of the gods of White Hart Lane Dave Mackay is definitely a charter member!

As Rivron says above, Mackay makes today's hard men look soft as ****e - not only that he was so much harder than the more frequently quoted hard men of his own era - the Chopper Harris, Billy Bremners etc of this world!

For me the only harder player in English football has been (sometime Spur!) Graham Souness - he would have been sent off in every game if he had played in the modern era - but he SHOULD have been sent off in every game he played back in the day!!!

talking in the wind

Status
    1000% in the top 5.absolute legend of a man and a true gentleman to boot.

8. Who Thanked this post

Status
    Billy Bremner was soft as ****e too.

10. These users say thanks for this post

безумный Владим (06-08-2011),Scarlotti (05-08-2011)

Legend !

Status
    Brilliant pic!

There was only ever one winner of that conflict..... but it is no disrespect to Bremner cos Mackay would have seen ANYONE off!!!!

Jeez - just look at the face on him - that is a man who means business! Would you argue with him?????

He could also play football more than a bit too - and extended his career at Derby County by playing as a sweeper!

Broken legs etc - nothing stopped him!

He is a total legend!

Player in Training

Status
    Dave Mackay doesn't like that picture at all aparently, he thinks he looks like an erse

talking in the wind

Status
    you mean arse right????

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudi Skacel 2006 View Post
    Dave Mackay doesn't like that picture at all aparently, he thinks he looks like an erse
    But it's pix like this that illustrate how football has lost its way since the 60's and 70's. Men were men in those days. Nowadays they simply roll around on the ground feigning agony, or issue imaginary cards if an opponent does so much as breathe on them.

That's partly why I hate Barca and their tippy tappy ****e - it's boring.
    Last edited by Rivron; 05-08-2011 at 11:54 PM.

15. Who Thanked this post

mattyvw (06-08-2011)

Player in Training

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by thfcire View Post
    you mean arse right????
    thats what i said

17. Who Thanked this post

thfcire (06-08-2011)

Legend !

Status
    Hey .... I love Barca and would love to see Spurs play that kind of fooball - i.e. you pass to a member of your own team rather than make a 50/50 pass forward at pace.... but we can't agree on everything! Watched Barca online for about 6 years and have NEVER been bored!

The pic you posted does illustrate so much - I've seen Mackay hit in the face full force with the old fooball (as well as other regions) and not flinch - rather than show a weakness to the opposition - an immense contrast to today's standards : did anyone watch Naymar in the Copa Americana? He made Cristiano Ronaldo look like... well Dave Mackay!

Player in Training

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivron View Post
    But it's pix like this that illustrate how football has lost its way since the 60's and 70's. Men were men in those days. Nowadays they simply roll around on the ground feigning agony, or issue imaginary cards if an opponent does so much as breathe on them.

That's partly why I hate Barca and their tippy tappy ****e - it's boring.
    you are the English version of me mate, my favourite players are the ones that take it as well as dish it out, something todays 'hardmen' seem to lack (apart from Ian Black)

Status
    There's a player that can be proud to know that my two sons .....11 years & 8 years both know about.

My eldest holds him as a role model ..... along with a few others.

A legend in the true sense all the way.

21. Who Thanked this post

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlotti View Post
    Hey .... I love Barca and would love to see Spurs play that kind of fooball - i.e. you pass to a member of your own team rather than make a 50/50 pass forward at pace.... but we can't agree on everything! Watched Barca online for about 6 years and have NEVER been bored!

The pic you posted does illustrate so much - I've seen Mackay hit in the face full force with the old fooball (as well as other regions) and not flinch - rather than show a weakness to the opposition - an immense contrast to today's standards : did anyone watch Naymar in the Copa Americana? He made Cristiano Ronaldo look like... well Dave Mackay!
    I rest my case.

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter