Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Status
    I'm a bit late on this but I had a full day of things I couldn't get to my MLS news stories. Rumors have suggested a possible loan move for Bentley to the MLS. Under normal circumstances I'd dismiss the story but then I got to thinking. He's injured and will be needing game time to get back fitness, so if a loan lasted from the beginning of the MLS season (March) until preseason in England, we'd be in a better position to sell him. If he came back to the club it's highly unlikely he'd see the field with us pushing for Europe, so we'd be stuck paying his salary and no recent video for clubs to make a decision on whether to make a move.

So I like the idea, maybe we'll see more players in the shop window from England make summer loan moves to the MLS.

David Bentley is looking for a summer move to America to get his career back on track - Exclusive - Football Hotline - Football - Sport - People.co.uk

It should be said though this isn't the best source.

Legend !

Status
    i just cannot wait until we can begin making the motor vehicle metaphors. honestly tho i did not think he was rubbish, i am not sure why he descended into such mediocrity. he was even an england player

3. Who Thanked this post

Reesyboy (16-01-2012)

Legend !

Status
    I feel a bit sorry for him. I know he's a nob but he has a lot of talent. He doesn't deserve to be wasting away with us.

First Team Player

Status
    That would be interesting to see players being loaned to the MLS for a few months in situations similar to this.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i just cannot wait until we can begin making the motor vehicle metaphors. honestly tho i did not think he was rubbish, i am not sure why he descended into such mediocrity. he was even an england player
    He has "issues" with a gambling addiction .

Status
    I know he'll probably want to go to LA or New York. I'd take him at the Galaxy but we're maxed out on DP's, so unless Spurs are paying his most of his wages (which is unlikely), that ain't happening. I think a club like Seattle or Portland he'd be a big hit.

The Red Bulls have 3 DP's as well but one of those is Frank Rost, the Goalkeeper. I don't like when clubs us DP slots for goalkeepers or defenders (unless in special cases like Marquez). In a developing league those spots should be used for creative players or strikers. So I think if they could get Bentley they'd try to renegotiate with Rost or trade him. I think whatever club signs him would be looking for a 6 moth loan until August, considering his ridiculous wages that's around 1.2m-1.4m ($1.8m-$2.1m). That's a bit but doable for MLS clubs who will be looking to sign a player to get them into the playoffs.

I think it can work.
    Last edited by BlueCrew LA; 16-01-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCrew LA View Post
    I know he'll probably want to go to LA or New York. I'd take him at the Galaxy but we're maxed out on DP's, so unless Spurs are paying his most of his wages (which is unlikely), that ain't happening. I think a club like Seattle or Portland he'd be a big hit.

The Red Bulls have 3 DP's as well but one of those is Frank Rost, the Goalkeeper. I don't like when clubs us DP slots for goalkeepers or defenders (unless in special cases like Marquez). In a developing league those spots should be used for creative players or strikers. So I think if they could get Bentley they'd try to renegotiate with Rost or trade him. I think whatever club signs him would be looking for a 6 moth loan until August, considering his ridiculous wages that's around 1.2m-1.4m ($1.8m-$2.1m). That's a bit but doable for MLS clubs who will be looking to sign a player to get them into the playoffs.

I think it can work.
    What are the rules of the MLS with regards to players for clubs? i tried to play it on football manager but didn't understand the player registration thing.

Legend !

Status
    He really wants to be the next Beckham doesn't he?

10. Who Thanked this post

Gashead_Yiddo (16-01-2012)

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by edmonds44 View Post
    What are the rules of the MLS with regards to players for clubs? i tried to play it on football manager but didn't understand the player registration thing.
    I don't know all the specifics, but it's a pretty strict salary cap for the club. There are Designated Players, that don't count against your salary cap. Each club is allowed three (i think it's three, it started as just one) designated players that can be paid higher salaries. It was created to bring Beckham in, but has since been the tool that they use to bring in the big money players from around the world. The league has historically lost boatloads of money, and was just starting to turn a profit prior to the recession. I don't know what the current financials are like for the MLS, so I can't really comment on whether the DPs other than Beckham have really helped the league.

It's caused a problem, in my opinion at least, in that it doesn't really do much to keep the best American players in America. That's an entirely different debate that really comes down to the overall quality of the league. Of course our best players are going to want to leave if clubs in better leagues want them. That and the wages simply cannot be competetive. Unless you're donovan and you enjoy the easy route :-p
    Last edited by falstaff; 16-01-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: spelling

12. Who Thanked this post

edmonds44 (16-01-2012)

Legend !

Status
    Seems like a smart move to me. Bentley has to do something to revive his career. I'm not so sure playing for clubs like Brum and West Ham will help do that. A complete change in environment may be much more helpful in that regard.

Legend !

Status
    How sad is this? I had actually forgotten that Bentley is still our player!

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BrumSpur View Post
    How sad is this? I had actually forgotten that Bentley is still our player!
    pretty much. how much time do we have left on that **** contract?

Banned !

Status
    Earned his paycheck all day every day, unlike modric that no good croat..

Legend !

Status
    Would be good for him IMO the MLS might get him running again.

Legend !

Status
    What the hell happened to him? You have to fall off hard to go from having that much potential and looking like you are living up to it, straight down to Championship and MLS. It's like he completely missed his prime and aged 8 years over the course of 6 months or something.

I don't think he suited our style of play when we converted to pacey wing mode, but I thought he'd go straight to Villa or another one of the top 10 clubs in the league fairly easily. You'd think he could do a job for Villa or even Newcastle. I haven't seen him play since about 2 seasons ago , though.
    Last edited by Gashead_Yiddo; 16-01-2012 at 10:21 PM.

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter