Register To Comment
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Legend !

Status
    Harry ready to let Gomes go | Sky Sports

Harry Redknapp admits Brazilian goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes is likely to leave Tottenham Hotspur during the January transfer window.

Gomes has endured a mixed career at White Hart Lane since his 2008 arrival from PSV Eindhoven and was linked with a return to the Dutch club at the end of last season.

Spurs boss Redknapp has previously kept faith with Gomes and the 30-year-old started the first game of the season against Hearts in the Europa League.

However, Redknapp has used summer signing Brad Friedel in the Premier League and Gomes has not even been on the bench for the last two games.

Redknapp acknowledged Gomes is not happy at being left out and is prepared to let the keeper move on when the transfer window reopens in the New Year.

"He's not happy and he's eyeing a January move," said Redknapp. "If the chance comes for him to play elsewhere, I'm sure he'll take it.

"I've not bombed out Gomes and made him No.3 keeper but we decided Carlo Cudicini would be better on the bench.

"Gomes has trained hard but Friedel is fantastic. If ever there was a man who didn't deserve those two beatings by Manchester United and Manchester City, it was him."

2. Who Thanked this post

jonspurs (12-09-2011)

First Team Player

Status
    Shame for the bloke. But he deserves to play, just not for us any longer.Hope he finds a great club who has more patience for the guy.

hey you guys

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Park Lane Yido View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ..."Gomes has trained hard but Friedel is fantastic. If ever there was a man who didn't deserve those two beatings by Manchester United and Manchester City, it was him."
    And that's my queue to be annoyed. What a ridiculous statement. Is he saying that Gomes WOULD deserve those two beatings if he was the one between the sticks??? Friedel still let those goals in and on at least two of the United goals didn't look bothered whether they went in or not. Gomes would've tried harder to save them and, owing to some of his out-of-nowhere saves in the past, may have got to two of Rooney's goals to save them.

Just to clarify:

With Gomes v United and City:

Away to United - 2-0
    At home to City - 0-0

Friedel v United and City:

Away to United - 3-0
    At home to City - 5-1!
    Last edited by weirddave; 12-09-2011 at 09:44 AM.

First Team Player

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by weirddave View Post
    And that's my queue to be annoyed. What a ridiculous statement. Is he saying that Gomes WOULD deserve those two beatings if he was the one between the sticks??? Friedel still let those goals in and on at least two of the United goals didn't look bothered whether they went in or not. Gomes would've tried harder to save them and, owing to some of his out-of-nowhere saves in the past, may have got to two of Rooney's goals to save them.
    Point taken, but I think the bulk of us feel that he would then of let in a howler agaisnt Wolves.Friedels consistent and commanding at the back, something Gomes will never be for us unfortunetly.

6. Who Thanked this post

Enfield_spurs (12-09-2011)

Legend !

Status
    Brad, at 40+ cannot be seen as a replacement for Gomes at 30+. If Gomes does leave in January, it will be a sad day for Gomes and the fans, as he is well loved at The Lane, despite some serious errors.
    Arry must already have an immediate replacement in mind for Gomes, if he does leave in the January window.

8. These users say thanks for this post

P UNIT 1980 (12-09-2011),S.L.R (12-09-2011),Scarlotti (13-09-2011),weirddave (12-09-2011)

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Triangulum View Post
    Point taken, but I think the bulk of us feel that he would then of let in a howler agaisnt Wolves.Friedels consistent and commanding at the back, something Gomes will never be for us unfortunetly.

Heurelho Gomes ready to help Tottenham set new record - Telegraph

Gomes was consistent and commanding in 2009.

10. These users say thanks for this post

S.L.R (12-09-2011),weirddave (12-09-2011)

Legend !

Status
    Wow. All I can say is we better have a big-time replacement lined up (preferably UNDER 40 this time?)

First Team Player

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkLaneMal View Post
    [/COLOR]Heurelho Gomes ready to help Tottenham set new record - TelegraphGomes was consistent and commanding in 2009.
    I meant it in a 'anymore' way. His confidence is shot and Harry is fed up with his costly mistakes, and quite right, as much as I like the guy.

THTV Donator

Status
    Huge Gomes' fan myself. They are under the spotlight more as a mistake often results in conceding a goal, but if we went by shifting players out due to mistakes we wouldn't have a team left!

I do think Friedel commands the defence more, and at 40 he is still capable of pulling off the fantastic saves as well as being a bit more solid than Big G, who had a similar reputation before he came to us. But I agree with @ParkLaneMal that we must have a long term replacement lined up as Friedel surely doesn't have many more years in him, surely!?

Legend !

Status
    With Gomes v United and City:

Away to United - 2-0
    At home to City - 0-0

Friedel v United and City:

Away to United - 3-0
    At home to City - 5-1!
    you can't compare the two GK's like that... the outfield team is more the reason to blame than the GK IMO they should be preventing any shots on goal so the GK should only be there as last resort...

I rate both Gomes and Friedel, and I don't want to see Gomes leave in the winter, he's a brilliant talent and I think along side Friedel and Carlo he will up his game, he'll get a game either in the CC or Europa, thats his chance to prove himself and I believe he'll do just that and give everyone a headache of who to play next.

hey you guys

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Triangulum View Post
    I meant it in a 'anymore' way. His confidence is shot and Harry is fed up with his costly mistakes, and quite right, as much as I like the guy.
    No smoke without fire.
    Not hating on Friedel, but I'm trying to defend Gomes by highlighting flaws in Friedel.
    When Friedel signed for us, Harry dropped Gomes from the BENCH, let alone the first team.
    What other message would you have expected Gmes to receive? His confidence is definitely shot now that he's not even on the bench.

And what exactly constitutes a costly mistake?
    Last time I checked, conceding eight goals in two games was.

Legend !

Status
    And what exactly constitutes a costly mistake?
    Last time I checked, conceding eight goals in two games was.
    then Dawson, Kaboul, Walker & BAE should be dropped two as they are as much to blame as Friedel

17. Who Thanked this post

Hidden (13-09-2011)

hey you guys

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by edmonds44 View Post
    you can't compare the two GK's like that... the outfield team is more the reason to blame than the GK IMO they should be preventing any shots on goal so the GK should only be there as last resort...
    Well if that's the case, Harry is still going the wrong way about this issue.
    He said Friedel didn't deserve the beatings he got when on the team.
    However, when Gomes was on a losing team and gave away goals [like Friedel did by not making an effort to save Rooney's headers], all the criticism seemed to be levelled at Gomes instead of the leaky defence we had at the time!!

19. Who Thanked this post

S.L.R (12-09-2011)

hey you guys

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by edmonds44 View Post
    then Dawson, Kaboul, Walker & BAE should be dropped two as they are as much to blame as Friedel
    At least two of those players were on the losing teams that Gomes was on, so where was the criticism of THEM at that time?
    Nowhere.

Legend !

Status
    all im saying is the team is to blame as they should prevent any shots on goal... and so far brad hasn't dropped any balls into the back of the net... the majority of the 8 scored (if not all) I don't think Gomes would have saved them as they were top notch goals!

I don't want to see Gomes leave at all, but i also don't like everyone saying that Friedel is rubbish because he conceded 8 goals in two games against the two best teams in the league as they were unstoppable goals

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter