Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Legend !

Status
    Hey all, I have been working on something where i attempt to better classify different types of players in a given position, in a way that is easy to explain and understand (this has sort of thing has been done before, so I realize I am kind of reinventing the wheel, but what the hell). I have some ideas about how this could be used for assessing/training youth teams, but right now I'm just seeing how it turns out. To do this I have been simply taking a general positional category (e.g. striker), naming the "type" (e.g. target man) or role of player within that category, and within that type, generally defining its "attributes" (e.g. Tall, strong, hold-up play, ariel), and lastly then giving examples of the type using well known players as examples (e.g. Llorente, Crouch). I especially need help with this last bit as I may see a player's role differently than how they are more popularly considered - but feel free to correct/change/delete anything below (players, titles etc) and I will try to combine everyone's ideas.

So now I'll just do types of strikers, and if you have any additions to make to any of the types/attributes/examples, it would really be appreciated. Eventually I'll put these into either a pie or bubble chart that hopefully can be used to plot where players land within it.

Anyway, it may make an interesting read but remember it is a general representation, obviously it won't be able to show every nuance and plenty of players are going to be in-between categories (e.g. Kun Aguero: pure striker or goal scoring second striker?).

Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Type of Striker:
    ------Key Attributes:
    ----------------Examples:

Type of Striker: Pure Striker
    ------ Key Attributes: Pace, Quickness, Dribbling, Finishing, #9
    ----------------Examples: Robin Van Persie, Fernando Torres

Type of Striker: Poacher
    ------Key Attributes: Quick, Finisher, Poacher/"Nose for the goal" (right place right time), #9 or #10
    ----------------Examples: Jermain Defoe, Javier Hernandez

Type of Striker: Center Forward
    ------Key Attributes: Size, Pace, Ariel threat, Ball control/hold up, Through ball threat, Finisher, #9
    ----------------Examples: Didier Drogba, Zlatan Ibrahimovich, Andy Carroll

Type of Striker: Target Man
    ------Key Attributes: Very Tall, Physical/Size, Plays with back to goal and makes passes, Brings down the ball well
    ----------------Examples: Fernando Llorente, Peter Crouch

Type of Striker: Number 10 Goal Scorer
    ------Key Attributes: Often drops into midfield, scores a lot of goals, good finisher
    ----------------Examples: Wayne Rooney, Carlos Tevez, Lionel Messi

Type of Striker: Number 10 Playmaker
    ------Key Attributes: Often drops into midfield, vision, passer, assists
    ----------------Examples: Rafael Van Der Vaart, Robinho?

A cyclical representation would therefore look something like:
    Pure Striker <-> Center Forward <-> Target Man <-> #10 Playmaker <-> #10 Goal Scorer <-> Poacher <-> Pure Striker

Feel free to throw ideas in, thanks!

Status
    I've always thought Klinsmann was the definition of a complete striker. Not saying he's the best ever but he could do everything you'd expect a striker to do.

massive bellend according to bigdub

Status
    An easy way to learn this is to get Football Manager

4. Who Thanked this post

TehLondoner (22-02-2012)

Legend !

Status
    I think a lot of players transcend these labels, for example Ade for us is sometimes a target man, sometimes a Center Forward, sometimes a #10 playmaker and scorer.

I will say though it's very hard to label players and I applaud your effort. I would add Benzema to the Pure Striker and Falcao to the Poacher to help though.

Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo

Status
    I think right now Sergio Auguero is a complete striker.

They hit him in the channels. He comes deep. He creates. He scores for fookin fun. He holds the ball. Quick as fook. Uses his head occasionally. Works like a dog.

I'd say he aint a big fooker but he is strong as fook. Doesn't score that many with his had but has all the ability if it's at the right hight.

7. Who Thanked this post

Dustin (22-02-2012)

Status
    Going Italian.....

Type of Striker: Number 10 Goal Scorer

I think this would describe Di Natale.

It's gotten to point now when I'm not watching Udinese play see they go up a goal and just assume it's Toto.

9. These users say thanks for this post

donatordeejbah (23-02-2012),gomes4life (22-02-2012)

Status
    Damn one video per post rule....

Type of Striker: Number 10 Playmaker

And this screams out Miccoli. Actually Di Natale and Miccoli are similar characters, they just have slightly different games.

These are his goals but he's pretty influential setting up goals as well.

i got theseeeee cheeessseeburgers mannn

Status
    I would add Suarez to #10 goal scorer, and I would put Benz in the center forward category. RVP can also be added to about 4 of those categories. Mario Gomez can be both Target Man and Center Forward. Falcao is a perfect example of a poacher, and perhaps Cavani too although personally I would put him in the pure striker category.

I am confused though, as to how in such specific descriptions, a poacher is to be considered a #10? But otherwise, really interesting read.

Player in Training

Status
    Great post!

Where would Adebayor fit into this? For me, he is a centre forward who also has the movement of a #10 and the ability to hold the ball up. He's really unique - will be difficult to find a player who plays like him if we don't come to agreement.

Legend !

Status
    So a lot of very competitive youth teams go to off-season camps as a team along with their coaches. When they get there the coach often meets with the camp provided "trainer" which is usually a highly experienced professional (or collegiate) coach that works at such camps during the summer off-season. So there are all different ways these things can be structured and different objectives the camps can have - but if it is a team-oriented camp, usually prior to the start of the camp the team's regular coach will meet with the camp-provided trainer and discuss what types of players he has. Together they will decide upon a system that fits the team best based on what players they have. The trainer will then offer a series of sessions teaching the youth players how to play a given formation.

So although such a rigid model is difficult to fit top players into, it could be a useful way to quickly understand a "type" of player and discuss how that player fits within a particular system.

Thanks for the feedback so far I'll update this thing soon, maybe if I get ambitious I'll put videos to it.

Also, @MagnaThor maybe I should not call a poacher a #10, was just trying to find a way to describe that type of goal scorer that is crafty, always in the right place, and consistently finding the net, despite not being particularly pacey (yet usually quick) or dominant. Defoe is a good example, perhaps Michael Owen (especially later in his career) would be another.

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by IguazuCalleja View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great post!

Where would Adebayor fit into this? For me, he is a centre forward who also has the movement of a #10 and the ability to hold the ball up. He's really unique - will be difficult to find a player who plays like him if we don't come to agreement.
    He would be a Center Forward, center forwards can really do it all, they can play in a 4-4-2, 4-5-1 or a 4-3-3, they can play with their back to the goal or facing it, also they almost always are big and fast. As a result of this diversity of skills, they are the rarest (most expensive) and generally the most desirable type of player out there - simply if you have a top CF, you can easily change your team to fit a given situation. Ade has been exactly that for us, he does it all. Drogba, however is the most clear-cut example.

i got theseeeee cheeessseeburgers mannn

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    So a lot of very competitive youth teams go to off-season camps as a team along with their coaches. When they get there the coach often meets with the camp provided "trainer" which is usually a highly experienced professional (or collegiate) coach that works at such camps during the summer off-season. So there are all different ways these things can be structured and different objectives the camps can have - but if it is a team-oriented camp, usually prior to the start of the camp the team's regular coach will meet with the camp-provided trainer and discuss what types of players he has. Together they will decide upon a system that fits the team best based on what players they have. The trainer will then offer a series of sessions teaching the youth players how to play a given formation.

So although such a rigid model is difficult to fit top players into, it could be a useful way to quickly understand a "type" of player and discuss how that player fits within a particular system.

Thanks for the feedback so far I'll update this thing soon, maybe if I get ambitious I'll put videos to it.

Also, @MagnaThor maybe I should not call a poacher a #10, was just trying to find a way to describe that type of goal scorer that is crafty, always in the right place, and consistently finding the net, despite not being particularly pacey (yet usually quick) or dominant. Defoe is a good example, perhaps Michael Owen (especially later in his career) would be another.

Well sir, I was about to pull out the sarcasm card, but too late for that!

16. Who Thanked this post

Dustin (22-02-2012)

Legend !

Status
    I think maybe something is missing. Those kind of workhorse strikers who don't really fit into any of the other categories very well. Can't really think of many examples right now, maybe Olic or Kuyt when he used to play up front for Liverpool. Those types that never stop running but aren't necessarily that technically gifted and don't score that many goals.

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattads1882 View Post
    I think maybe something is missing. Those kind of workhorse strikers who don't really fit into any of the other categories very well. Can't really think of many examples right now, maybe Olic or Kuyt when he used to play up front for Liverpool. Those types that never stop running but aren't necessarily that technically gifted and don't score that many goals.
    Try to think of more examples so I can get a better idea of what you mean.

THTV Donator

Status
    More of a defensive type forward, like Stracqualursi who plays for Everton?

Also is someone like Sturridge a pure striker, or is there another type of category for that type of player?

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter