Register To Comment
    Legend !

Status
    I believe we've all witnessed how VDV operating on the right cuts off the width of our game, since he likes to drift inside too much. However, I've been thinking that with the addition of Walker, this can really work. Simply put, Walker as our RB will provide the width in our attacks from the right. I believe Walker has the speed to get back to defence if we get countered. We will need Sandro as a DM to help cover the defence when Walker goes marauding forward. We can also choose to put VDV in the centre or in a free role to play an irregular formation. The good thing about this is that we will be able to play two forwards by sacrificing Lennon (provided we get some quality forwards in).

Your thoughts?

Status
    Dont really want VDV out on the right, would prefer him playing in behind a lone striker up front. It's a good option to have, but not my preferred choice. It definitely makes sense to have an attacking full back in behind him since he does cut in to allow all that space for an attacking fullback to get forward. However, I think it'll be important for Walker to understand when to go on his runs and when to "hold" those runs. His inexperience may get the best of him in this situation so its a part of his game he'll need to improve and get use to. The main focus of Walker's game next season is to develop his defensive side and continue to adapt to the PL.

3. These users say thanks for this post

Dustin (26-06-2011),ShaneOMac (25-06-2011),StPaulSpur (25-06-2011)

Legend !

Status
    Yeah, I'm not counting on this being our preferred formation, but this could be an viable backup plan. I don't think many teams are well-prepared to face an irregular formation. A lot of standard positional stuff have been drilled into them from young so we can spring a real surprise on them during our games.

Legend !

Status
    you could essentially do this both sides with modric and bale..

---walker---dawson---gallas---bale---
    vdv---sandro---huddlestone---modric
    -----------kranjcar--------------
    -------------pav-----------

would pretty much be moddles sliding infront of sandro and huddlestone with vdv and kranjcar feeding the ball to pav and all 3 have range capability. bale and walker running the wings. huddlestone sandro to help defensively. bit extreme though.

looks funny like but could well work.

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenjamin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    you could essentially do this both sides with modric and bale..

---walker---dawson---gallas---bale---
    vdv---sandro---huddlestone---modric
    -----------kranjcar--------------
    -------------pav-----------

would pretty much be moddles sliding infront of sandro and huddlestone with vdv and kranjcar feeding the ball to pav and all 3 have range capability. bale and walker running the wings. huddlestone sandro to help defensively. bit extreme though.

looks funny like but could well work.
    Um..

Then you're dropping on of our best players last season (Assou-Ekotto), playing our second best player out of position (Bale)...and playing our best player out of position (Modric).

No thank you.

7. These users say thanks for this post

BlueCrew LA (25-06-2011),himel420 (25-06-2011),spursman18 (25-06-2011),StPaulSpur (25-06-2011)

Legend !

Status
    I never said that was what i wanted just took a more extreme look at the idea.

9. Who Thanked this post

Dustin (26-06-2011)

Legend !

Status
    @Musashi Definitely is an option, we saw some of it last season but as you noted our RB was not a major attacking threat. But lets say Lennon gets injured and we have two in form strikers, then VDV is definitely an option (we also have Pienaar).

@Glenjamin I see what your saying. Unfortunately that formation takes our current best players out of their best positions, but tactically that formation would work. And dare I say something nice about GDS (after his goal tonight I'll allow it this once)... with Hudd and Sandro in the middle you could play Gio on the right and let him play a free role coming inside and running timely channels (something Pav and Niko do not do). Anyway, tactically that formation fits assuming Hudd is the man in distribution/possession. Good post. (edit: not that I would ever want to actually see it in a PL game )
    Last edited by Dustin; 26-06-2011 at 03:37 AM.

Legend !

Status
    Yeah i wouldnt wanna see it either ekotto is prob my fav player lol.

Player in Training

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    I believe we've all witnessed how VDV operating on the right cuts off the width of our game, since he likes to drift inside too much. However, I've been thinking that with the addition of Walker, this can really work. Simply put, Walker as our RB will provide the width in our attacks from the right. I believe Walker has the speed to get back to defence if we get countered. We will need Sandro as a DM to help cover the defence when Walker goes marauding forward. We can also choose to put VDV in the centre or in a free role to play an irregular formation. The good thing about this is that we will be able to play two forwards by sacrificing Lennon (provided we get some quality forwards in).

Your thoughts?
    VdV can be so good, so influential that he MUST play in the centre. Imo Harry should be building the team around him. Therefore 4411 or 4231 (my pref).

If you look at what Ekotto did for us defensively, yeah he lacks that width and quality going forward, however...we have this problem on the right last season and you can see how many goals we leaked down that side....so it's great to have Walker if he has the awareness and energy to get up and down. But imo I would take a defensively solid right back option first as we are so gung ho from the midfield onwards.

13. Who Thanked this post

Bryce_Williams (04-08-2011)

Legend !

Status
    Our issues last season wasn't allowing goals, it was scoring goals. I would put most of the "blame" on a good deal of the goals scored against us on injuries to the back four last season. Just as an example, last season we allowed 3 more goals than the Scum but scored 17 less! I'm less worried about Walker/BAE bombing forward than I am about us putting it in the back of the net.

First Team Player

Status
    VDV on the left , cutting in ala Young

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by spurs17 View Post
    VDV on the left , cutting in ala Young
    he's not a winger......

First Team Player

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by spursman18 View Post
    he's not a winger......
    A slow VDV is still better than a current Lennon

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by spurs17 View Post
    A slow VDV is still better than a current Lennon
    week in/ week out, not a chance IMO. In terms of how much pace your average winger needs in the PL. VDV can get away with playing out on the right with a RB who has a bit of pace and who can defend something our current RBs dont have at the moment. Charlie is slow but a good defender and Walker is quick but still need to work on his defensive game.

Not worth going on about though, its been proven VDV's best position is in behind a striker.

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter