Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Player in Training

Status
    Hey all, i was looking through peoples suggestions and noticed that we have enough players for any formation but its fair enough playing them correctly. I dont seem to find anyone going for the 4-3-3, such as: (based on fitness/injuries at the moment, but i will also put someone on brackets who could easily cover it)

................................Gomes
    ..............................(Cudicini)

Kaboul....................Dawson....Gallas........ ......Bassong
    (hutton/walker)........(Range of CB)...............(Ekotto)

...............................Sandro
    ..............................(Palacios)

....................Huddlestone......Modric
    ................( Jenas ).........(Krancjar)

VDV............................................... .......Bale
    (Lennon).......................................... ..(Pienaar)

..............................Crouch
    ......................(Pavs or Defoe)

I think this formation would help us alot more, as Sandro would help the defence and would allow Modric more freedom to attack and give huddlestone more time on the ball. And would let the wingers get up and down the lines and maybe even cut in and score.

what would you guys say?

Status
    its been mentioned by a few on here but right now isnt the time to be changing our formation. Perhaps if we do business over the summer we could develop into a team that plays this way but right now I dont think we should be changing to a 4 3 3 with the squad we have. By that I mean we dont have a front 3 that are capable of playing this formation to its fullest.

hey you guys

Status
    Ardiles did the 4-3-3 when he managed Spurs, but I don't think it went that well.
    Somebody correct the above if I'm wrong. Not old enough to remember Ardiles' management of Spurs :/

Legend !

Status
    I don't remember Ardiles, but I just don't see 4-3-3 working for us without major modifications. To play 4-3-3 well I think you need a solid target man up front, two pacey striker/wing hybrid types on either side, you need three central mids, one of whom is a clear-cut holder, one of whom has license to go forward regularly, and one of whom does a bit of both. Then you need attack-minded fullbacks to provide some width and two rocks at central defense.

In other words you need this year's Chelsea minus Torres.

Cech
    Zhirkov, Terry, Luiz, Cole
    Essien, Lampard, Ramires
    Anelka, Drogba, Malouda.

We don't have that. Bale and Azza are best suited to more conventional wing roles which allows them more space to run. Both of them are so dependent on their pace, if you move them further up the pitch then you're taking away that advantage they have. Bale might still be good, but I think it'd kill Lennon. I think we could potentially have the midfield we need with Modric, Huddlestone, and Sandro, although I know several of our most solid posters are skeptical of that arrangement. Finally, I don't think we have the fullbacks to make it work. If we add Taiwo this summer and Walker steps up, then I think we do. But Corluka is too much of a center back for that to work and I don't think BAE is aggressive enough on his runs forward for it work. He usually gives the ball to Bale or Modric a little past midfield and you really need your fullback to go deeper than that in a 4-3-3 (which is why Ashley Cole and Dani Alves are so brilliant for Chelsea and Barca).

Hypothetically, we could sell Azza this summer to Juve, make a move for Forlan/Drogba/RVN/Lukaku/Leandro Daimao/Klose and we might have our target man. We could then play Rafa on the right wing with Bale on the left (not crazy about Bale playing that high up, but if we wanted to do 4-3-3 he almost has to unless you want to try him at LB). Or if we pull off the Aguero and Forlan swoop, then we can have Aguero, Forlan, Bale up top with any combination of Rafa, Luka, Sandro, Hudd, and Sarge/Jenas (whoever we don't sell) in midfield. So the lineup would be:

Gomes
    Walker, Gallas, Dawson, Taiwo
    Modric/VDV, Hudd/Modric, Sandro/Sarge
    VDV/Aguero, Forlan/Crouch, Bale

I think if the midfield was sturdy enough and if Bale adapted to a more advanced role, that's a lineup that could win the Prem. But obviously we're a long way from that lineup right now and I think a more realistic guess for next year is the same 4-4-2 variation we've been running for as long as 'Arry has been here.

First Team Player

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by StPaulSpur View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't remember Ardiles, but I just don't see 4-3-3 working for us without major modifications. To play 4-3-3 well I think you need a solid target man up front, two pacey striker/wing hybrid types on either side, you need three central mids, one of whom is a clear-cut holder, one of whom has license to go forward regularly, and one of whom does a bit of both. Then you need attack-minded fullbacks to provide some width and two rocks at central defense.

In other words you need this year's Chelsea minus Torres.

Cech
    Zhirkov, Terry, Luiz, Cole
    Essien, Lampard, Ramires
    Anelka, Drogba, Malouda.

We don't have that. Bale and Azza are best suited to more conventional wing roles which allows them more space to run. Both of them are so dependent on their pace, if you move them further up the pitch then you're taking away that advantage they have. Bale might still be good, but I think it'd kill Lennon. I think we could potentially have the midfield we need with Modric, Huddlestone, and Sandro, although I know several of our most solid posters are skeptical of that arrangement. Finally, I don't think we have the fullbacks to make it work. If we add Taiwo this summer and Walker steps up, then I think we do. But Corluka is too much of a center back for that to work and I don't think BAE is aggressive enough on his runs forward for it work. He usually gives the ball to Bale or Modric a little past midfield and you really need your fullback to go deeper than that in a 4-3-3 (which is why Ashley Cole and Dani Alves are so brilliant for Chelsea and Barca).

Hypothetically, we could sell Azza this summer to Juve, make a move for Forlan/Drogba/RVN/Lukaku/Leandro Daimao/Klose and we might have our target man. We could then play Rafa on the right wing with Bale on the left (not crazy about Bale playing that high up, but if we wanted to do 4-3-3 he almost has to unless you want to try him at LB). Or if we pull off the Aguero and Forlan swoop, then we can have Aguero, Forlan, Bale up top with any combination of Rafa, Luka, Sandro, Hudd, and Sarge/Jenas (whoever we don't sell) in midfield. So the lineup would be:

Gomes
    Walker, Gallas, Dawson, Taiwo
    Modric/VDV, Hudd/Modric, Sandro/Sarge
    VDV/Aguero, Forlan/Crouch, Bale

I think if the midfield was sturdy enough and if Bale adapted to a more advanced role, that's a lineup that could win the Prem. But obviously we're a long way from that lineup right now and I think a more realistic guess for next year is the same 4-4-2 variation we've been running for as long as 'Arry has been here.
    I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment. I would more than love to see Spurs be able to play a 4-3-3, because it goes well with the attacking mentality of the team. But, we would need some solid solid forwards to pull it off. Bale isn't just yet a person who can bang in goals left and right, and he's a highly marked man. I think he'll need some pace to beat his markers, and having him higher up the pitch plus the markers would leave him little room to wiggle around in. I've seen some inkling of Bale's tricks and abilities to get around people, though, so hopefully he can develop more of that. I don't see Lennon as a natural goal scorer, though he's given some decent goals here and there, so the forward type role might not suit him.

I wouldn't mind VdV being pushed up into the forward role on the right into that 4-3-3 as suggested by StPaul, as he naturally tends to drive inwards to shoot. For that middle forward role we would need a player around the height of Crouch with a much better shot, or a player who was good at tricks/creating his own chances to succeed (think Messi-like, just wouldn't be near as good as him of course).

For midfield, I would follow StPaul's suggestions. Sandro as the holder would allow Hudd/Modric/VdV to get forward, and provide some cover for either Taiwo or Walker to get forward.

I don't see the midfield being a problem at all in the 4-3-3 with what our current squad offers. It's the forwards that would need some work/modifications to make this type of football work.

Legend !

Status
    we did go with 4-3-3 in our cups matches against fulam and arsean ( carling and fa cup ) but it didnt work out well ..maybe we should try it with our starting 11, but for me anytime we have vdv on the right hes not really a winger he jus bring the ball in the middle and plays he doesnt play thro the wing..so havin vdv on the right its like playing a 4-3-3 in a way

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Tottenham-ManU View Post
    we did go with 4-3-3 in our cups matches against fulam and arsean ( carling and fa cup ) but it didnt work out well ..maybe we should try it with our starting 11, but for me anytime we have vdv on the right hes not really a winger he jus bring the ball in the middle and plays he doesnt play thro the wing..so havin vdv on the right its like playing a 4-3-3 in a way
    we've never played 4 3 3 this season.

Arsenal in the CC was Stipe Naughton/Caulker/Bassong/BAE Bentley/Sandro/Livermore/Palacios and Gio in behind Pav

Fulham in the FA Cup was Gomes Hutton/Dawson/Bassong/BAE Lennon/Sandro/Modric/Pienaaar and VDV in behind Defoe.

Banned !

Status
    in a 4-3-3 we need wingers like ronaldo,villa,anelka wingers that are not really winger that score goals bale cant really do that or lennon
    maybe rafa only

Legend !

Status
    I think that a 4-3-3 is not what our team needs at all. But if I did play a 4-3-3 I would play Lennon over VDV on the right. Which would mean VDV would be destined for Bench Town USA. And that in itself shows how poorly we are suited for a 4-3-3.

Legend !

Status
    Also I am distrusting of any 4-3-3 advocates on here because I know that you are really a bunch of closet Gio fans trying to get him back into the first team. He is the only spurs player I do not support. Because he is 15. And this is the EPL.

First Team Player

Status
    Hmm what about

noone is getting my pot of gold you *******s

Status
    With that team we will leak 3 goals a game.

Player in Training

Status
    I thought if a massive bid with bale was to come in, although he is a great player, he is still human and fair enough has had a great year for us but if its he can keep it going. So i did a team with him and a team without. As a formation should be sorted by just a single player i have left out VDV.

I have put in a current and a possible, i think that the reason we have conceded so many goals is that the opponents have no been scared of our strikeforce so havent been scared to push on and attack us at any time.

I like podolski as he has a high work rate, can play well on the left and up front and u all know the others.Although i was thinking Benzema instead of Falcao.

Bale could always be put at Left back and be even more of a threat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Status
    I love 4-3-3 but you have to have a midfield that is super-fit and super mobile . we did last season but not this season .

First Team Player

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike The Yid View Post
    With that team we will leak 3 goals a game.
    And score 4?

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter