Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Player in Training

Status

I think it would be interesting to see us play this for the remainder of the season.

Legend !

Status
    Looks good. Yet I would prefer a world class striker up front.

Money needs to be spend in the summer.

Legend !

Status
    It's pretty much exactly what we play only Modric is in a slightly deeper role so that Hudd isn't isolated in the midfield and the 1 forward up top keeps changing because we have no clue which one out of our 3 will actually turn up...

Legend !

Status
    My question is how Sandro fits into the picture with Hudd back from injury? Do we basically say "Sandro is our true holding mid we play in games where we need to be more defensive and Hudd is the offensive one who makes the attack go with his quick passing"? I just hate the idea of wasting one of them on the bench on a regular basis, but I don't see what to do otherwise.

Legend !

Status
    From what we have, playing a 442 would get the most out of our players
    ----------gomes---------
    corluka-kaboul-dawson-BAE
    lennon-hudd-modric-bale
    ------defoe/pav/crouch-----

Leaving sandro out because hudd and modric are outstanding together! Until we get a top striker, i dont see how we can fit sandro,hudd,and modric in the same team without leaving out one of our wingers, which would make us a little unbalanced on the attack!

6. Who Thanked this post

davids01 (10-04-2011)

Legend !

Status
    I have to agree with @mattspurz 442 with modric n hudd in the mid and the pacey wingers on each flank. VDV doesnt fit into our best 11 for me.

8. Who Thanked this post

mattspurz (11-04-2011)

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by davids01 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have to agree with @mattspurz 442 with modric n hudd in the mid and the pacey wingers on each flank. VDV doesnt fit into our best 11 for me.
    But! that doesnt mean he doesnt fit in our system, some games he can be very important! People are going to say look at his scoring record and that says how important he is to our team, but like last year, we played our best with 442! But until we have that striker, imo VDV doesnt fit in our strongest 11! because we will have to take off a striker and none of our strikers can play by themselves

First Team Player

Status
    I don't see how we hope to score by taking our season's leading scorer out of our starting 11. The only other source of goals is Bale and Pav to a certain extent. In my mind we need Bale, VDV, Pav, and Hudd if we hope to score. Hudd's vision an superb passing definitely gets us goals, problem is we seem to concede a lot this way too. With Sandro our defense is far stronger. Guess Harry will have to decide unless any of us have his number?

Legend !

Status
    Well we scored 3 goals on th weekend and VDV had fek all to do with them. To be fair he was hardly in the game. And didnt crouch and pav look much better playing as 2 up front. So I can quite easily see how we can score goals without our leading goalscorer.

12. Who Thanked this post

mattspurz (12-04-2011)

First Team Player

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by davids01 View Post
    Well we scored 3 goals on th weekend and VDV had fek all to do with them. To be fair he was hardly in the game. And didnt crouch and pav look much better playing as 2 up front. So I can quite easily see how we can score goals without our leading goalscorer.
    At home, with 70% possession and two strikers you would expect that. Defoe scored twice against Wolves, doesn't mean he's extremely likely to score for us now though does it? You have to play to the averages a little, VDV, Bale, and Pav all seem to score a goal every other game or so this season, maybe less, and no other players have scored much at all though Modric is now looking more dangerous. It just makes sense to me that we need to play those 3 are our most likely to score so we should be playing them if possible.

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsBoris View Post
    At home, with 70% possession and two strikers you would expect that. Defoe scored twice against Wolves, doesn't mean he's extremely likely to score for us now though does it? You have to play to the averages a little, VDV, Bale, and Pav all seem to score a goal every other game or so this season, maybe less, and no other players have scored much at all though Modric is now looking more dangerous. It just makes sense to me that we need to play those 3 are our most likely to score so we should be playing them if possible.
    well how often have we played with 2 strikers up top compared to last season! since VDVs arrival, we have played 4411 with him behind the striker, isolating the striker up top, which was mostly Crouch, who you cannot ask to boss the frontline. Most of VDVs goals came from great anticipation, which is great! but that was from thumping the ball up all game to crouch, hoping for a knock down to VDV, and that seemed to be our only way to score tbh! But i guess that tactic worked, so why dont we play it more if it works so well?

All our strikers are equipped to play with a striking partner. Tell me, even with VDV behind the striker, can you really ask defoe, or crouch to do it themselves uptop? Maybe Pav as he is capable of doing so, just has to work hard for the full 90 and get his head out of the gutter, which is where it is most of the time. VDV has been on of the best players in the league at some points this season, which is absolutely fantastic for him, but IMO it didnt really benefit the rest of the team. Not taking anything away from VDV, because he is doing what he is asked to do. But with VDV in our team, we have to sacrifice one of our strikers, and that is asking ALOT from them to play by themselves.

Player in Training

Status
    looking ahead, and assuming we can buy a striker better than anyone we have now, i would suggest 4-4-2 is best for most games -- the players seem to know this system and are secure in it. however, against teams which keep better possession and/or quick on the break (european teams and the top 4 mainly) then the ability to be flexible and change to 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 fluidly would be an advantage. i hope 'arry is successful in buying someone this summer...

Status
    I am having a senior moment , didn't we play mostly 4-4-2 last season ? Lets carry on then .

Banned !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev John Ripsher View Post
    I am having a senior moment , didn't we play mostly 4-4-2 last season ? Lets carry on then .
    and we started palying 4-4-2 this season and then the last few moments off the transfer deadline day we signed rafa

Legend !

Status
    There is another thread called: have other teams worked out our game plan, or something like that.... Its true with crouch heading it down to vdv teams have clocked on to what we do and started deffending aggainst it. That's why I think in the 2nd half of the season vdv has not been such a prolific goalscorer for us

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter