Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First Team Player

Status
    Mods, please move this post if it's in the wrong forum (I know there's the Champions League section...)

I say we go "balls-to-the-wall" in the home match and go out with a bang. So... what formation/players would you all like to see? I wouldn't mind some players getting a rest and giving some other players a go, why not? Though I honestly don't know much about the other players we could play (Danny Rose?), so please suggest some for me!

I'm going to start the conversation with something nuts: Would setting up with a 3-5-2, 3-6-1, or a 3-4-3, or something with 3 defenders, be crazy? Maybe now's the best time to try something as mad as that kind of formation, with so many defenders injured and us down 4 in aggregate. If we flood the midfield we could play high pressure, but get caught like mad on the counter. It'd be daredevil, especially with the wide play from Madrid on the wings, so please tear this post and lineup apart! Maybe something like this...

--------------- Gomes -----

Charlie?/Bassong? -- Dawson -- BAE

----------Sandro -- Huddlestone --- (2 DM's to add some sanity)

----- Lennon? --- Modric? ------ Bale/Pienaar/Kranjcaar?

----------- Pav?/Vdv? --- Defoe?

I know this sounds odd, but please tear apart this formation because I'm all for good discussion!

Legend !

Status
    With our injuries we may end up being forced to go with 3 at the back.

However, when a team plays with 3 at the back it's usually 3 CBs and 2 wingbacks. 1 CB and 2 fullbacks is just way too open.

Gomes - Gallas, Dawson, Kaboul? - Modric, Huddlestone - Lennon, VDV, Bale - Pav, Defoe.

First Team Player

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by CmonyouSpurs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With our injuries we may end up being forced to go with 3 at the back.

However, when a team plays with 3 at the back it's usually 3 CBs and 2 wingbacks. 1 CB and 2 fullbacks is just way too open.

Gomes - Gallas, Dawson, Kaboul? - Modric, Huddlestone - Lennon, VDV, Bale - Pav, Defoe.
    Proper fix on the 3 CBs there @ CmonyouSpurs! Is Kaboul still out on injury?

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohns View Post
    Proper fix on the 3 CBs there @ CmonyouSpurs! Is Kaboul still out on injury?
    There's a chance he may be back by next week, but I wouldn't hold my breath. To be honest if we did end up with 3 CBs it would probably be Gallas, Daws and Bassong.

Legend !

Status
    i'd play 4-3-3 if it were me!

just go for it! go out with a ka-boom!

i got theseeeee cheeessseeburgers mannn

Status
    I say 3-5-2 with wingbacks
    Gomes
    Corluka Gallas Daws
    Bale Sandro Huddz Modric BAE
    Pav Defoe

I just can't take BAE out with so many incredible performances for us, including Real's. I say sub him out for Lennon and also Bale can switch sides throughout the game.

Status
    4 4 2, nothing else.

you have to take into consideration that RM will be looking to put the game and aggregate to rest within the first half. If we go balls out, were going to be finished off very quickly, I dont see why we cant be successful playing a 4 4 2, we can create goals.

i got theseeeee cheeessseeburgers mannn

Status
    I think our biggest threat is Real's offense and ability to hold possesion.

First Team Player

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by spursman18 View Post
    4 4 2, nothing else.

you have to take into consideration that RM will be looking to put the game and aggregate to rest within the first half. If we go balls out, were going to be finished off very quickly, I dont see why we cant be successful playing a 4 4 2, we can create goals.
    We've been finished off already, lets just go for it, we need to score at least 2 goals in the first half.

---------------Gomes-------------------
    Kaboul---Gallas---Dawson---Bale---
    -------------Sandro-----------------
    ---------THudd---Modric-----------
    ----VDV-------Pav------Lennon---

Please. Lennon & Bale vs Ramos = slaughter.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsBoris View Post
    We've been finished off already, lets just go for it, we need to score at least 2 goals in the first half.
    It's football, funnier things have happened and if we can control some of the possession and get 2 quick goals (inside 30 mins) than the belief will start to grow in the players.

Your formation is clearly an attacking one but it'll still look like a 4 5 1/ 4 4 2 when were defending, which we will do plenty if we do not keep some of the possession. No thanks to Bale playing LB, BAE was one of the better players on Tuesday.

So 4 4 2, have Bale and Lennon playing higher up on the wings but they will have to do a tremendous job of tracking back or having the CM pairing picking off passes out on the flanks.

First Team Player

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by spursman18 View Post
    It's football, funnier things have happened and if we can control some of the possession and get 2 quick goals (inside 30 mins) than the belief will start to grow in the players.

Your formation is clearly an attacking one but it'll still look like a 4 5 1/ 4 4 2 when were defending, which we will do plenty if we do not keep some of the possession. No thanks to Bale playing LB, BAE was one of the better players on Tuesday.

So 4 4 2, have Bale and Lennon playing higher up on the wings but they will have to do a tremendous job of tracking back or having the CM pairing picking off passes out on the flanks.
    hmmm not sure I agree about BAE, I thought he was solid defensively but he gave up possession too easily. He always attempted long passes that never found the target. Bale and Lennon are both wingers but they have defensive qualities as well so on the same side they could team up to defend and on the attack Bale would play down the flank and Lennon would cut inside as a sort of left forward. It would help nullify their attack on that side because Ramos would have to stay back which would leave Di Maria isolated, plus Ramos is a hot head and if he had to deal with both Lennon and Bale I could easily see him making a rash challenge.

Plus if we want to play BAE that means leaving out one of Hudd, VDV, or Sandro and if we are actually serious about scoring in this game idk how we can do that. We have been missing the passes that Hudd picks out, we need VDV as a goal threat and Sandro as a ball winner. So I think the only option is Bale LB imo but he would still be getting far forward.

Status
    I think Sandro is the better option against Madrid, when compared to Hudd.

But getting to the issue of your post, you're talking about two of our biggest threats down the wings playing on both sides, that simply just cant work. Marcelo tore Charlie apart for most of the game and if we have any chance in containing him its putting a quick winger up against him because he'll then have to track back which will stop some of the runs he was making all night on Tuesday. This is the same debate that people have in regards to Hutton playing behind Lennon, everyone says that the playing coming from behind will only hurt the winger playing in front of him so in this game we cannot allow to happen. We need to play our strengths and that is with Bale and Lennon out wide, a strong CM pairing of Sandro/Modric and figure out if we play VDV or go for 2 up front. I do think if Kaboul is fit by this game that he needs to play at RB, I'm tired of Charlie playing there the man is too fookin tall/big to be a RB he is better suited as a CB. Fullbacks are naturally "stocky" and quick to get up attack and drop off to defend (again another issue for a different thread). But Kaboul is the man to play RB when fully fit and in this game I think he'd thrive off playing the position.

First Team Player

Status
    I think we need Sandro and Hudd, and VDV against Madrid. Idk what happened on our right side against them first time around, going down to 10 certainly didn't help though. Put Kaboul out there instead of Charlie, with Sandro and Gallas also helping to cover the right side, and we should be ok. We have to play to our strengths, yes, but that sometimes means concentrating our strengths on their weak areas. We'll be exposed on the right no matter what, they have Marcelo and Ronaldo on our right. We need to put Bale and Lennon on the left and keep attacking on that side and hope Ramos slips up. To do that we need to keep possession which means Hudd, Sandro, Modric, VDV all play. That means no BAE but it falls into place anyway.

When VDV plays in the 4-4-1-1 it seems to me like we lose the attacking strength of a 4-4-2 but also lose the midfield dominance of a 4-5-1, we need to start playing something along the lines of the above imo.

Status
    There is no way Bale is going to be playing LB when we play Madrid at home. Playing to your strengths means playing players in their proper positions where they've flourished all season. Bale can handle Ramos, if we have 11 players on the pitch instead of 10 I hope we take it at them all evening but we will not being seeing all these sudden changes in formations for one game. We will attack, but not to the extent thats being discussed on here.

If we were to put Lennon and Bale on the same side all Madrid have to do is slide an extra man over there when defending and it'll be 3 v 2.....if were keep a balanced attack with pace on each wing, it will be effective as its been proven this season.
    Last edited by spursman18; 07-04-2011 at 07:26 AM.

First Team Player

Status
    I hear you definitely, but if we are serious about still trying to win, especially winning 4-0, that is going to take some creative thinking and change in strategy, not the same tactics that have brought us 13 goals in 13 games in 2011, and had us concede 19 in the same number.

The biggest point is that we need to try to get one of their players sent off early, not by cheating or anything but by putting pressure in the right area. The hot head is Ramos so it makes sense for the first 10 or 15 minutes to attack the left side relentlessly and to do that we're going to need quick, skillful players on that side ie Bale and Lennon imo. Of course I realize that won't happen, what we will do is play the exact same formation with Pav or Defoe instead of Crouch, with no creativity or edge and we'll be lucky if we score 1 or 2 goals. The only manager who takes such risks is Ferguson, for instance moving Giggs to left back against West Ham, playing seven defenders against Arsenal and winning comfortably, no other manager would do those things but then that's why he's regarded as one of the best ever.

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter