Player in Training

Status
    ------------------Gomes------------------

Corluka --- ---Gallas -----King------ Ekotto

---------Huddlestone------- Modric---------

Bale------ ------- R.V.V. ------ ---- Lennon

------------------ Defoe--------------------

4-2-3-1

The focus is on the inverted wingers( never mind my if you disagre on the rest of the lineup)).I would realy like Harry trying out to see how would this work because this way of playing opens far more chanses to develop more atacking way of football and better passing vibe(if you like) in the team.I think Lennon has been briliant on the left wing for these last weeks and he is far more dangerous one the left side because when he is on the right we all know that he is going to run down the side and cross,but on the left he can also cut inside and keep the ball passing( keeping the possesion and presure on opposing side) if he doesnt have good position to cross the ball in the box at the time,and he can also take a shot on goal and one more thing very important for speeding up the game,when he is on the right side and RB is passing him the ball he is often closed down and in most situations has to pass the ball back to RB who has to pass the ball to CB and circle around for a pass or even worse to punch a long ball up front and lose possesion.When on the left side when LB passes him the ball he is more likely to pass in the CM and speed up the attack.That is for Lennon and i think most of you will agree with me,but i am not sure that you will on Bale playing on the right,but i think he realy has the ability to play that position,he would be something like Messi for Barcelona for them.I read somewhere that Bale is just a fast runner with lots of energy and i cant desagre more,he also has great tehnique and vision and i could realy see him developing even more one that right side.You could call this very narrow style of playing but if you have agile side back players who can run and cross on the side this is a deadly combination.It is realy the type off football barcelona is playing and i realy think with this type of players that Tottenham has right now,can also develop it(not to the point that Barcelona is playing it but close) if not for main formation but to have it as an option to change during the game is great.I cant lie i love the way Barca is playing,beacuse if you have the ball opponent cant score (LOL).What do you think?
    P.S. I am sorry if there are some writing errors but my speaking enlish skills are far better then writing

Legend !

Status
    I think you make a good point, although I think it would be a lite bit more effective If Modric played slightly infront of huddlestone; this way, Modric could control the short passes between vdv and the wingers, while thud could bomb the long balls on the counter ( which I'm assuming would be a big part of this formation, as it is our style) although I would like to see rafa play up front as a lone striker for most of the game in a 4-5-1

Legend !

Status
    I always wanted to try that because that way bale and lennon can both cut inside and score like robben.

But that way the good crosses from bale would be gone as he has a weak right foot .

Best would be when both had 2 strong feets

anyhow bale likes to score with left foot from left side without cutting in like against inter milan.

but good shout.

Legend !

Status
    If you want to get attacking width out of the full-backs, we'll need a better attacking full-back the Corluka.

Thing is, when Bale and Lennon are playing together, don't they swap wings back and forth during the game anyway?

I love it when they do that. Must be a nightmare for the opposing full-backs, and it give a little of what you outlined in your post.

Looking at that line up makes me realise how much we've missed Huddlestone and Modric, and how well we've done without them.

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ThUgBeAtZ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I always wanted to try that because that way bale and lennon can both cut inside and score like robben.

But that way the good crosses from bale would be gone as he has a weak right foot .

Best would be when both had 2 strong feets

anyhow bale likes to score with left foot from left side without cutting in like against inter milan.

but good shout.
    You dont know that bale likes it better lol, only he knows, and he has never been tested there, well only for small periods during games. IMO he would get more goals playing on the right, cutting in and having a crack, or drifting more in the player ( more central). Lennon does look like a bigger goal threat on the left than the right. On the right he cuts outside, always trying to get the cross in, but our strikers havent positioned themselves well enough for that.

Back to the first post, I think playing like this would, we would basically change our whole system than were playing now. Which isnt a bad thing, just watch barcelona, they always have a right footer on the left side, vise versa. This is pretty much a 4411, just like what we play now, but bale and lennon switched lol. I'd love to see this but I just dont see harry putting lennon on the left, maybe temporarily he'll play there but once bales back he'll go back right mid. But hes right we would be able to keep possession much better, playing a more diverse way than now.

I really just dont see harry pulling that off, he isnt tactically gifted like us all...........

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancubus View Post
    If you want to get attacking width out of the full-backs, we'll need a better attacking full-back the Corluka.

Thing is, when Bale and Lennon are playing together, don't they swap wings back and forth during the game anyway?

I love it when they do that. Must be a nightmare for the opposing full-backs, and it give a little of what you outlined in your post.

Looking at that line up makes me realise how much we've missed Huddlestone and Modric, and how well we've done without them.
    Bale and lennon very rarely switch, and if it is its only for 10 mins or so, but i wish they would switch more often!

First Team Player

Status
    I think we may see this more next season. It would fit more if we had Kyle walker on the outside, bombing down the right side for crosses.

THTV Donator

Status
    I agree that we might see Bale and Lennon switch more often given how well Lennon has been playing lately on the left.

Player in Training

Status
    Honesly I wonder would bale even would become this big under Harrys comand if Ekotto didnt get injured(or he went to African cup i dont remember exactly) 2 years ago,at that time bale didnt play at all,maybe 10-20 mintues every 4 games and i remember i was always anoid why the hell Harry doesnt start him.And he didnt try him on LM until he had to because there was no one to play it at the time.I can realy see with this kind of formation tottenham playing tika-taka Barcelona football,If you compare the players it looks very similar.Huddlestone(Busqets),modric(inesta),r.v.v( xavi),lennon(pedro),bale(messi),defoe(villa).Modri c and Rafa are made for this cind of football,imagine Huddle passing those great longs vertical balls on wing on the counter attacks.This has succes writen all over it.Someone told charlie is not good for this formation,i agreehe is to slow and hutton would be great choise on that side if he got it together in defenseIn defence gallas,kaboul king are very cool defenders how can play passing football without unnecesary long balls.There is realy nothing to lose by trying out new stuff in right time,and i think this formation needs to be put on test.ASP Harry

Legend !

Status
    That's how life is though. Bale was hardly setting the world on fire in the appearances he was making, his progress had clearly falyered somewhere; BAE goes to Africa, Bale hits form: et voila.

Player in Training

Status
    Yes that is true,life is also a great deal about little luck in right moment,but my point was that even on those little minutes that he played at that time he was good,and he deserved first team football,but harry ignored him witch brings us to my point.Harry lacks vision! Would Bale realy got injured if he gave him rest in some games that where alreday "finished" after 70 -80 mintues and gave kranjcar or some other bench player 10- 20 mintues of football and killed 2 flyes with one stone For me that is just bad coacing on physical and physiological level.

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mattspurz View Post
    You dont know that bale likes it better lol, only he knows, and he has never been tested there, well only for small periods during games. IMO he would get more goals playing on the right, cutting in and having a crack, or drifting more in the player ( more central). Lennon does look like a bigger goal threat on the left than the right. On the right he cuts outside, always trying to get the cross in, but our strikers havent positioned themselves well enough for that.

Back to the first post, I think playing like this would, we would basically change our whole system than were playing now. Which isnt a bad thing, just watch barcelona, they always have a right footer on the left side, vise versa. This is pretty much a 4411, just like what we play now, but bale and lennon switched lol. I'd love to see this but I just dont see harry putting lennon on the left, maybe temporarily he'll play there but once bales back he'll go back right mid. But hes right we would be able to keep possession much better, playing a more diverse way than now.

I really just dont see harry pulling that off, he isnt tactically gifted like us all...........
    What I meant with "Bale likes it to score with left foot " means in other words " he scored a few goals with his left foot already for example against inter milan "

Im not saying I know what he likes. You need to read it better !!

First Team Player

Status
    I'm going to bump up this thread, because I find it interesting...

Either I'm naive or what not, but I've seen a lot of 4-2-3-1 lately, and in some places online I've heard it termed the "future" formation. As Spurs have played well with Modric and a DM pair foundation in the middle, I like it. You could have Huddlestone or Sandro or Palacios pair with Modric, or you could have two DM's, with Bale, Modric, Lennon making the 3 in front of the lone striker.

Legend !

Status
    As far as I'm concerned this formation and the one we normally play are one in the same. As long as VDV, Modders, and Bale play in a 5 man midfield the particular positioning is unimportant IMO.

15. Who Thanked this post

spursman18 (29-03-2011)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDub View Post
    As far as I'm concerned this formation and the one we normally play are one in the same. As long as VDV, Modders, and Bale play in a 5 man midfield the particular positioning is unimportant IMO.
    +1

It's easy to put formations on paper but really, if we were to play this way all 5 midfielders would be pushing, VDV would be right in behind the striker with Hudd and Modric to follow.

How this is set up (the formation) it would be how we defend in some cases, thats the only way I see this formation coming about at times.
    Last edited by spursman18; 30-03-2011 at 12:03 AM.

17. Who Thanked this post

BigDub (29-03-2011)

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter