Register To Comment
    Legend !

Status
    So in a doomsday scenario, suppose we don't bring in a new striker this window. That leaves us with the core we have right now. Last year they were serviceable when we ran a conventional 4-4-2. But none of them have what it takes to play by themselves and with Rafa's addition we've obviously been doing 4-4-1-1. My question is whether or not it's possible to make a 4-4-2 work with Rafa in the lineup?

For instance, suppose we moved Bale to LB and then had Rafa and Lennon as wide men? (Can either of them play on the left?) True, it would cut down some of our width because both VDV and Lennon like to cut toward the center of the pitch, but are Bale and Hutton/Corluka crashing down the flanks enough to keep some of the wide game?

I dunno, I'm thinking out loud here. Maybe this would be a disaster... I just know we looked more threatening at St James when we had Defoe + Crouch up top. (Though we also looked much more vulnerable to the counter attack.) Together they can be good, so that begs the question: Can we play two strikers with Rafa in the lineup?

Player in Training

Status
    Rafa has been a great addition to the team....the only thing with having rafa in the lineup is that we dont normally play with 2 strikers, we play 1 up front with rafa in behind the striker. The 4-4-1-1 formation works well if you have a big target man up front who can create goals and also score himself, we dont have a target man atm who is able to do this on a consistence basis. Yeah we have Crouch, but he's not the target man we need, can come on and change things sometimes but hasnt proven himself.

with playing 4-4-2 it does allow us to play a target man and another striker but where does that leave Rafa to play? for me we need to play him where he creates most damage on the pitch and thats behind the front man with the 4-4-1-1 formation. Shore he can play in the CLM position with the 4-4-2 formation but is he going to create as much damage there, score as many goals and create as many opportunities if he plays in this position.

Formations do change in regards to injuries and suspensions which determines the personel you have in the squad at the time aswell as to who plays where.

Status
    We ALL love Rafa but he needs to be more mobile for longer , then yes it would work .

Legend !

Status
    If we went with Rafa and two other forwards I think they would be best to play 4-3-3. Rafa did start a game on the right earlier in the season but was moved inside at half time. Trouble with 4-3-3 is keeping lennon in the side, although he has proved he can score goals. We certainly have the central players to try it.

Player in Training

Status
    Love Van der Man! Brings an added dimension to the forward line...but unfortunately what he needs to complement him upfront - "a target man" - is something we don't have in our current bunch. Half the season has gone by and we know that 4411 in the PL is not our strongest formation. And if 'Arry doesn't get a striker by tomorrow, then I seriously think we need to go back to what worked for us with our existing strikers....442.

Coming back to the original question, 'Arry has had enough time to see that 4411 isn't working as well, so the change back has to be made NOW! And more importantly, Rafa is a quality player, but I think as a manager I'd be asking Rafa to adapt to the team, and NOT the team to Rafa!!!!! It maybe difficult at first to slot him into a 442, or maybe we could try 433, but if we need to start scoring more goals and utilize dual strikers, somethings got to change!

6. Who Thanked this post

ShaneOMac (03-02-2011)

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter