Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Legend !

Status
    We are halfway through our CL group stage and I was wondering what people think our priorities in the upcoming transfer market should be. For me, our needs are as follows:

1. striker
    2. rb
    3. lb
    4. cb

I would be strongly against any additional midfield additions. Would love to hear what everyone else thinks.

First Team Player

Status
    Striker
    CB
    LB (maybe)

Status
    Striker for sure, it IS the first priority in january. I dont feel we need a new RB, look at how many we have Charlie, Hutton, Kaboul, Kyle Walker, and Kyle Naughton. Walker has been in excellent form for QPR and i feel the experience he is getting there will see him be our future RB, yet if we were to bring yet another 1 in then what are we going to do with the other 4? Surely you cant ship out 4 RBs in a 2 windows.

CB- The South African Khumalo seems to be a done deal but I do agree that we may need another 1 since if he does come he'll be very inexperienced. The back bone to a football team is to have a consistent back 4, who are reliable. Every time Ledley steps out on the field he is a liability not in the sense that hes a bad player but that every step he takes could mean another injury. Woody is getting on and Gallas i feel will only be around for maybe MAYBE another season. Bassong is still a bit inexperienced, I feel Kaboul has looked a better CB than Bassong this season. I really rate Steven Caulker who is getting some good experience at Bristol City who IMO will be a first team player either next season or the season after that.

LB- Yep, this IS another area we need to buy. BAE switches off too much and not even saying about last night. Seen it happen too many times last season as stated in his own thread. He does have some decent performances but he is far too inconsistent to be in a position that requires you to be switched on at all times.Bring in another LB Taiwo would do it for me.

So all in a Striker and Left Back for me in January.

Legend !

Status
    I just don't think we have a single RB ready for the big stage. I like Corluka but he hasn't been playing all that great for me and I think we have advanced too quickly to wait on some of our younger RBs. I'm a Kaboul fan but I don't think he is our long term RB.

THTV Donator

Status
    Definitely a striker...we're missing Defoe badly and we're relying on goals to come from positions other than striker....

First Team Player

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by USpur View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just don't think we have a single RB ready for the big stage. I like Corluka but he hasn't been playing all that great for me and I think we have advanced too quickly to wait on some of our younger RBs. I'm a Kaboul fan but I don't think he is our long term RB.
    I don't see why not... since towards the end of last season he has really come on. He is strong big, good defensively and surprisingly has really good feet going forward. I really like him. He is young and i think is currently breaking out of his shell.

In response to the thread question.
    A striker
    A left back

I think a lot of people are saying center half. And yes i agree but i think when Dawson is back it will look a lot more solid in there. Him playing alongside Gallas and King when available.

Legend !

Status
    Striker - we all know that Keane is sadly finished and Pav is only slightly above average - little and large Crouch and Defoe are OK just add one more, now who's available that big eared fellow from Utd would do .....

Left Back - BAE is playing behind the best left sided player in the PL, that should make his job easy as the opposing full-back never dares leave Bale unmarked, yet still he loses position time and again. Good tackler, good recovery, great passer just not strong enough mentally

We have CB's and RB they may be developing or injured but we have enough in the squad to cover ..............

8. These users say thanks for this post

spursman18 (21-10-2010),Underboob (28-10-2010)

Legend !

Status
    I wouldn't be surprised to see players like Jenas and O Hara and maybe even Palacios sold in January. Thus, I would not at all be surprised if we brought in another CM if even one of them were sold. We have already heard rumors of players such as Muntari and Diarra....just something to keep in mind.

First Team Player

Status
    We've scored how many goals in the champions league this season, and people still think striker is our top priority? I understand we could use a world class player up there, but it's not a priority. We should be 4-5-1 in europe every time, VDV off crouch and Defoe as an impact player.

its a right back and a centre back that we need, i'd like to see us test Evertons financial state with a bid for Jagleka, or maybe look at shawcross who can play in either position. We need to have a 1st choice backline that doesn't include King, he can just be a guest performer when required.

I'd like to see us make bids for Jagleka

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LSB1982 View Post
    We've scored how many goals in the champions league this season, and people still think striker is our top priority? I understand we could use a world class player up there, but it's not a priority. We should be 4-5-1 in europe every time, VDV off crouch and Defoe as an impact player.

its a right back and a centre back that we need, i'd like to see us test Evertons financial state with a bid for Jagleka, or maybe look at shawcross who can play in either position. We need to have a 1st choice backline that doesn't include King, he can just be a guest performer when required.

I'd like to see us make bids for Jagleka
    Yet how many goals have we scored in the league? Compared to the teams above us? Hardly enough.

First Team Player

Status
    I understand this, Harry needs to think about more 4-5-1 in the PL, but we are very capable of scoring goals. We are not capable of keeping cleansheets

13. Who Thanked this post

Underboob (28-10-2010)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LSB1982 View Post
    I understand this, Harry needs to think about more 4-5-1 in the PL, but we are very capable of scoring goals. We are not capable of keeping cleansheets
    I'm pretty sure every away game we've played in the PL and in Europe we've been 4 5 1.

Keeping clean sheets is stuff when you dont have a consistent back 4 and a top keeper who has been injured.

Legend !

Status
    IMO, you could buy the best CB, LB, RB or whatever and it still wouldn't make to much of a difference. In my eyes we have defended the same way for as long as i've watched Spurs. We drop deep to about the 18 yard line and DO NOT pressurise the ball. This goes for our midfield as well. We stand off of teams and allow them to have the ball to easily and hope that they make a mistake which allows us to get the ball back. In my opinion, this should not be the case and you should pressurise the opposition quickly, get into them and limit the space they have to work in to try and win the ball back. The longer the coaching staff fail to recognise this, it wouldn't matter one jot who you bring in.........

I agree with a striker though.

First Team Player

Status
    i was their last night and they brought a young right back called Davide Santon to replace Chivu who is a world class full back and was being given a hard time by lennon he played left back but is traditonaly a right back -looks very solid ,only 20 and not starting for inter ...A'rry should take a look.

I also think we need SOLID Centre half not like gallas one that can even improve and when ledley's fit he can be as someone else said like a guest player
    Gary Cahill
    Ryan Shawcross
    Phil jagielka ..all come to mind

i don't think a striker a priority because i ws at the san siro and watched us put three past inter but if one comes along like fabiano or Lyon's lopez i'd like to see us try and get one

Status
    Those who are saying we dont need a striker, how many goals have come from out strikers in the league....and how many are goals they've actually created from themselves.

Yeah, thought you'd agree with us needing 1.

18. Who Thanked this post

Underboob (28-10-2010)

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter