Register To Comment
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    First Team Player

Status
    Here is a formation that I think could work, keeping Lennon, Bale, Modric, and Van der Vaart all on the pitch.

---------------Gomes---------------
    Corluka---Dawson--King/Gallas---BAE
    ------------Huddlestone------------
    Lennon-------------------------Bale
    -----------VdV----Modric-----------
    ------------Defoe/Crouch-----------

That's one possible line-up to throw out there among many options. I would see VdV sitting a little higher up the pitch than Modric, who likes to play a bit deeper. This could solve the issue of us not having a true "lone striker". We also have Palacios and Sandro to fill in the DM role. We have Bassong as further depth at CB and Kaboul and the two Kyles (if needed) at FB. Bentley and Kranjcar provide depth on the wings. Dos Santos (who's been stellar thus far) can play as a winger or in one of the central attacking roles. Of course, we also have Pavlychenko and Keane at striker. Harry's got plenty of options to work with and plenty of games to compete in, and I think trying out a formation like this in training would be a good idea.

Unfortunately, I think a formation like this would spell the end for Pav. He is not strong enough to be a lone striker and he is not enough of a playmaker to fall into an attacking midfield role (Keane could). I think he could only be used on days we stuck with a more traditional 4-4-2.

First Team Player

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringer7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unfortunately, I think a formation like this would spell the end for Pav. He is not strong enough to be a lone striker and he is not enough of a playmaker to fall into an attacking midfield role (Keane could). I think he could only be used on days we stuck with a more traditional 4-4-2.
    I think Pav could play in a 4-4-1-1 with Van der Vaart just behind him. The great thing about VDV is that he can score enough goals to make up for the absence of a second striker which would allow us to keep Huddlestone and Modric in the midfield.

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Chameleon View Post
    I think Pav could play in a 4-4-1-1 with Van der Vaart just behind him. The great thing about VDV is that he can score enough goals to make up for the absence of a second striker which would allow us to keep Huddlestone and Modric in the midfield.
    This also might not be such a huge departure from the 4-4-2 so Harry may try it.

4. Who Thanked this post

Joshcorey (01-09-2010)

Banned !

Status
    Walker---Dawson--Gallas---Bale
    Lennon-------------------------Dos Santos
    -----------VdV----Modric-----------
    ------------Defoe-----------

I wouldnt mind abit of this. Im a big fan of dos santos so get rid of ****e and put bale there. Corluka is slow, doesnt get stuck in and loses concentration so stick a walker at rb at let him progress. Defoe number 1 striker with pav/crouch sub to change the game abit. apart from that good team

Banned !

Status
    Corluka---Dawson---King--------
    -------------------------------Bale
    Lennon---Hudd----Modric---Kranjcar
    ---------------- VdV---------------
    ----------------Defoe---------------

Legend !

Status
    this whole thing about the 451 for spurs doesnt seem right to me. I know we all love JD but i just dont think hes good enough to be a lone striker. That's why harry was looking at bringing fabiano in so that he could play the 451 effectively against the big teams in the PL and away ties in europe. For me the only player that is suited to play up front by himself is Pav and personally i dont think he's good enough. He does score some important goals ill give him that but just not a consistent enough goalscorer and also i think he's lazy as well- although i kno most spurs fans love him =P. For me i think unless pav improves then we'll have to play a 4 4 2.

Corluka---Dawson--King/Gallas---Bale
    Lennon----------VDV---------------modric
    ------------Defoe----Crouch-----------

the team is incredibly versatile and the squad is so deep i do think that this year if we dont win anything we may have a good chance of beating the scum in the league aslong as we beat wigan at home =P

Status
    Gomes

Charlie---Dawson---King/Gallas---Bale

--------------Sandro-------------

Lennon-----Huddlestone----------Modric

-----------------VDV

-----------Defoe/Crouch/Pav/Keane

I know Sandro wont get in right away, but give him 2 to 3 weeks and I bet he takes Sarge's place.

First Team Player

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 05grottim View Post
    this whole thing about the 451 for spurs doesnt seem right to me. I know we all love JD but i just dont think hes good enough to be a lone striker. That's why harry was looking at bringing fabiano in so that he could play the 451 effectively against the big teams in the PL and away ties in europe. For me the only player that is suited to play up front by himself is Pav and personally i dont think he's good enough. He does score some important goals ill give him that but just not a consistent enough goalscorer and also i think he's lazy as well- although i kno most spurs fans love him =P. For me i think unless pav improves then we'll have to play a 4 4 2.

Corluka---Dawson--King/Gallas---Bale
    Lennon----------VDV---------------modric
    ------------Defoe----Crouch-----------

the team is incredibly versatile and the squad is so deep i do think that this year if we dont win anything we may have a good chance of beating the scum in the league aslong as we beat wigan at home =P
    This formation is very reminiscent of the Famous Five diamond formation that was employed by Ossie Ardiles at the beginning of the 94/95 season. It resulted in heavy defeats to Nottingham Forest, Manchester City and Notts County and, ultimately, the end of Ossie's tenure as Tottenham manager.

If Klinsmann and Sheringham couldn't score enough goals to pull it off, Defoe and Crouch certainly won't.

Banned !

Status
    In the 94/95 season did we have van der vaart? nope. Do we have van der vaart now? yes. so maybe it will work with van der vaart.

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by spursman18 View Post
    Gomes

Charlie---Dawson---King/Gallas---Bale

--------------Sandro-------------

Lennon-----Huddlestone----------Modric

-----------------VDV

-----------Defoe/Crouch/Pav/Keane

I know Sandro wont get in right away, but give him 2 to 3 weeks and I bet he takes Sarge's place.
    I'd love it if you are right. I just hope it doesn't take Sandro too long to adapt.

12. Who Thanked this post

spursman18 (02-09-2010)

First Team Player

Status
    Ya I want to see Sandro thrown straight in cause Harry was of bring the younger players in just isnt working so put him in the deep end and see how he gets on.Ov Im not talking away to Werder.B or a big PL club.

First Team Player

Status
    The Formation that I want to see play and will work with Sandro is
    ---------------Gomes------------------

Charlie-----Dawson-----King/Bassong/Gallas-----Bale

-------------Huddlestone----------Sandro-------------

Lennon-------------Van Der Vaart-----------Modric

--------------------Defoe/Pav-------------------

OR
    ------------------Gomes------------------------

Charlie------Dawson-----King/Bassong/Gallas------Bale

---------------------Sandro------------------------

-----------Huddlestone---------Modric

Lennon------------------------------------------Van Der Vaart

-------------------Defoe/Pav----------------

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomesnum1fan View Post

OR

I like your 1st one better similar to mine, only reason I dont like the 2nd is b/c Modric is too deep he cant play that deep he's too much of an attacking threat going forward.

First Team Player

Status
    Ya but it allows him to recieve the ball from the back four which he likes to do but can also get forward freely due to Huddlestone and Sandro sitting.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomesnum1fan View Post

OR

That is the winner for me, hopefully Sandro could get up to speed quickly. I watched him in a few Copa Libertadores matches and I don't see him taking as long to get first team selection as some people think.

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter