Register To Comment
    First Team Player

Status
    Sometimes I think about our teams from the past and feel nostalgic. The team from 2005/2006 always comes to mind.

That summer we signed Davids which is the only true world class signing we have made during my (short) time as Spurs, started supporting us in 1998. We also sold Kanoute that summer which was a shame, I really liked him.

I got even more stoked when we won the peace cup in South Korea, Eurosport showed it live and it was the first time I saw Spurs pre-season games live on TV. Beating the french champions Lyon comprehensibly in the final 3-0 was a boost.

If some of my memories are not correct it is because at that period I smoked pot every day.

We also signed three players on transfer deadline day in Jermaine Jenas from Newcastle, Lee Young-Pyo from PSV and Grzegorz Rasiak from Derby. The Rasiak signing was obviously a panic signing just to fill up the squad. I dont think Jol expected Kanoute to leave and had no one lined up as a replacement.

That summer was the first time I started actually believing we had a realistic chance of getting to the CL. I remember Ledley going out in an interview saying we now aim for the CL, that was great to read. A sense of optimism was felt at Spurs for the first time in a long time.

Remember we had that 4th place for months and then the arse beat Wigan at home and us losing to West Ham away and that stupid lasagne gate. I still believe the chef at the hotel poisoned us, he must have been an Arsenal fan. I dont believe in coinsidences.

Remember the cup game away at Grimsby? We rested Mido for the first time in that game but continued to play long at Defoe and Keane which didnt work. That game showed how important Mido was to our team. When I saw his name in the starting lineup I always said to my mates "now Mido will do a fatwa on (insert club name here)".

Another classic was the away game in the facup against Leicester. The producer zoomed in on a City fan before the game who looked depressed to say the least. It was an old bald man wearing a sign that said "I believe in miracles", I joked to my mates saying thats what Leicester will need tonight. We opened the scoring with a rare Stalteri goal, brilliant, and we made it 2-0 with a scrappy goal from Jenas. Right before the break they scored a 2-1 goal but I wasnt worried. In the second half we all know what happened, Leicester went on to win 3-2. This is what being a Spurs fan is all about. The producer again zoomed on the old man in the audience and this time he had a large smile on his face and still holding that miracle sign. Fantastic.

Another memory was Davids only goal for us, if I remember correctly it was against Wigan away, he stormed down the left flank and scored a blinder.

The games against Arsenal that season were huge. We dominated and should have had 2-3 goals at the break at WHL but we only managed to score once (a Ledley King header). At Highbury we had 1-0 but then they subbed in Henry and he made it 1-1. Think it was Keane who scored our goal that game. We really were on level with Arsenal that season, it felt fantastic. Tainio also had a top game at Highbury, he showed commitment and work rate never seen before or since. I was extra happy because im Finnish.

I also remember Rasiak making his debut against Liverpool at the Lane. When the camera zoomed in on him he looked nervous and scared as ****. It showed he wasnt ready for this level of football, in the championship he was great but he just wasnt good enough for the PL. Funny thing is, I played West Ham on FM a couple of months before and signed Rasiak, he scored something like 20+ goals for me in the PL.

The classic line up from that season was:

GK - Paul Robinson. It felt good we had Englands #1 and Paul really was a popular character at WHL. This was back when he was a decent goalkeeper.

DR - Paul Stalteri. I liked him, he was great in defence (only making one big mistake all season against Sunderland away) and decent going forward. The fact that he was a German champion made me trust him straight away.

DL - Lee Young-Pyo. Again, a proven top player, was great for PSV in the CL and I was stoked when we got him. Again, he also only made one great error and that was against Man Utd at home. His workrate was magnificent (seems to run in the blood of Koreans) and I always wished he would score a goal but he didnt. I liked the fact that he replaced Edman who I thought was a risk in defence.

DC - Ledley King. Enough said. Theres nothing to say about the King of White Hart Lane. Wasnt he injured at the beginning of the season? I remember Gardner playing with Dawson at centre back.

DC - Michael Dawson. He showed great promise and I loved the fact that he always had a smile on his face, you could see he really appreciated to play for us which was nice.

MR - Aaron Lennon. Routledge was supposed to be the first choice at right midfield but wasnt he injured against Portsmouth away in the first game? Remember Tainio coming in in the second half. Lennon was supposed to be the promising youth for the future but when Jol finally trusted him he instantly showed how great he was. Interesting figures: Lennon 1m from Leeds, Walcott 12m from Southampton and Wright Phillips 24 or something from Man City. Who would you have in your team? I think the answer is obvious (even to Arsenal fans).

ML - Edgar Davids. Man, myth, legend. Loved him at Spurs, he was magnificent until that injury.

MC - Jermaine Jenas. When he actually was any good. He showed signs of greatness and I believed we had a future England regular in our team. He didnt hide from the ball like he does nowadays.

MC - Michael Carrick. I remember opinion split Spurs fans on the internet about him. People just didnt see what he brought to the team. Same as Makelele at Real. For me, Carrick was the most elegant midfielder England has had since Gascoigne.

FC - Mido. Like Davids, he was one of our 3 best players in the first half of the season. He played with his heart out and scored great goals. Then he went crazy at the ANC for Egypt and came back fat and unfit. Shame, he could have become a legend.

FC - Robbie Keane/Jermain Defoe. Both contributed with massive goals. When Robbie wasnt on fire Defoe was and vice versa.

Manager - "Big" Martin Jol. Loved the guy, was gutted when he was fired. Absolutely loved it when him and Wenger had that showdown. Legend.

Other notable players:

Wayne Routledge. Fantastic technique seldom seen in british players. Could have been something.

Teemu Tainio. Was worried when we signed him because he was a finn. But he did a good job for us always when called for.

Anthony Gardner. A personal favorite of mine, I know almost nobody rates him but I thought he was a great squad player. I came up with this little song for him when he left us (to the tune of Television Personalities "Arthur the Gardner"):

Anthony Gardner where are you?
    Youre now playing for Hull City

Anthony Gardner I miss you!
    I miss you at the Spurs

(I must be crazy)

Id love to hear others memories from this season and what stands out for you, please post!

COYS!!!

2. These users say thanks for this post

Justice (23-03-2010),donatorEighteen82 (25-03-2010),EssexYiddo (05-05-2010)

Legend !

Status
    It might interest you to know that the Spurs team from 2005-06 amassed 49 points after their first 29 Premier League matches.

Our current team is on 52 points after the same number of games

The total points amassed in 2005-06 was 65 - a club Premier League record - which with any luck we should be able to surpass this season (Harry reckons 69 points is a viable target).

My Football Facts & Stats | Tottenham Hotspur | Premier League Points Won

Legend !

Status
    The team of 05-06 was a very good team and I remember it well but personally I'm more excited about the team we have now and to be looking forward

Legend !

Status
    I think this was my first full season as a Spurs fan. I was brought up as a Manure fan until I made my own mind up who I wanted to support. It was a great season other than lasagnegate and Mido was my favourite player.

First Team Player

Status
    stalteri wasnt a great right back. mido got 1 in 2 that season, he did really well. looking back late goals cost us. eg fulham away bocanegra 90th minute, gallas for chelsea as well. sunderland away shoulda bin 3 points guaranteed and wigan at home should have been a win. Martin Jol had a great influence on us and its annoying how only now have we really pushed on since 2007,bar the cup final. Of that season i really enjoyed keanes goal against villa and his goal against blackburn. Our support that season was class aswell.

Legend !

Status
    I wish we never got rid of Teemu Tainio, really liked him and the amount of work rate he
    put in every game was outstanding. To look back and think that Mido was actually really
    good for us is unbelievable. I only wish that the juggler (Comolli) was fired after that
    season, I blame him for the majority and the unstable squads.

Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo

Status
    Tanio against Arsenal was phenomenal but rarely shone other than that game.

The front two were so phenomenal to watch.

Legend !

Status
    Our current side is, in my opinion, the finest squad I've watched since '81. Yes, I'm ollllllllld; sigh...

Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo

Status
    I would say if we had the front two from 06-07 we would be right in the mixer for the title.

Immagine that.

Legend !

Status
    P Unit we would be still in the mix for the title had we not thrown away absolute crazy
    points to teams lower than us and should've dominated! But then thankfully we aren't in
    the mix for the title because if we finished 4th the majority of Spurs fans would be
    disappointed, ha!

hey you guys

Status
    Kanoute, Keane and Defoe made one of the best strikeforces in the League. Every week there seemed to be a goal from at least one of those three.

Davids was great too. Does anyone have any idea where he is now?
    I heard he was training at Vitesse???
    Last edited by weirddave; 31-03-2010 at 01:39 PM.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SolSurvivor5 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    CB - SOL CAMPBELL

Frankly the best player ever to wear the claret and blue. Da Yids miss his big black presence at the back frankly without him we're pretty **** xD
    Rather have the MLK of the lane in LEDLEY FOOKIN KING, better than Cu.ntbell on any day of the week even with his dodgy knees.

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter