Register To Comment
    Player in Training

Status
    Hello all again,

I am the creator of a Manchester United website called Stretford End Arising.

I am currently in the process of putting together a match preview for Tottenham Hotspur vs. Manchester United. Normally match previews on Stretford End Arising include the thoughts of an opposition fan(s) with the aim of offering a balanced view.

We have done this several times before:

Match Preview: Man United vs. Tottenham Hotspur
    Match Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs. Manchester United
    Manchester United vs. Tottenham Hotspur: Match Preview

A link to tottenhamhotspurs.tv will be included in the published article.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Player in Training

Status
    Here are the questions:

1. What are your thoughts on Sunday’s game? What team is Andre Villas-Boas likely to select and what formation will he adopt? What weaknesses in United’s team will Villas-Boas look to exploit?

2. What are your thoughts on Tottenham’s 2012-13 season? What are you expectations for the remainder of the season?

3. Who have been Tottenham’s best players this season? And Why?

4. What are your thoughts on Villas-Boas? Is he the right man to take Tottenham forward?

5. What are your thoughts on the signing of Ezekiel Fryers? And Fergie’s subsequent comments on Levy?

6. Redknapp’s Tottenham or Villas-Boas’ Tottenham? Do you prefer Redknapp’s or Villas-Boas’ brand of football? And why?

Legend !

Status
    1. What are your thoughts on Sunday’s game? What team is Andre Villas-Boas likely to select and what formation will he adopt? What weaknesses in United’s team will Villas-Boas look to exploit?

I'd be happy with a point, expecting us to lose to be completely honest. Don't know why, I just don't have a good feeling about it. 4-3-2-1, with the changes from the starting line up being Dempsey in for Ade (who is off to the African cup) and Parker in for Sandro (who is out for the season). I'd say the full back positions are a weakness at the moment with Assou-Ekotto still struggling for fitness and Walker being off form, so you could hurt us on the wings, and to be honest in the middle too, most teams struggle defending against someone as good as RVP.

2. What are your thoughts on Tottenham’s 2012-13 season? What are you expectations for the remainder of the season?

Generally pretty happy. The new signings Lloris, Vertonghen and Dembele have all been superb and I think it'll be very close between us and Arsenal, and possible Chelsea too, for fourth place. I think we'll sneak in there though, providing we don't get more injuries in centre midfield. Losing Sandro for the season is a huge blow because we're only one more injury off having to play Livermore/Huddlestone.

Tough question because there have been so many stand outs. Lloris, Vertonghen, Dembele, Sandro, Bale and Lennon have all been top class. If I had to pick one I suppose it'd be Bale but they really all have been excellent.

4. What are your thoughts on Villas-Boas? Is he the right man to take Tottenham forward?

Yes, definitely. Obviously we'll have to see at the end of the season where we stand to make a proper judgement but I'm very happy with him so far, although it is unfortunate that like under Harry, we still struggle to break down the 'lesser' sides that put 11 men behind the ball - we have had disappointing home results against West Brom, Norwich, Wigan and Stoke.

5. What are your thoughts on the signing of Ezekiel Fryers? And Fergie’s subsequent comments on Levy?

Don't know much about him. Heard we're paying him 20k a week which is surprising considering I can't see him making any first team appearances - but he's playing in the U21 side at the minute, who have been brilliant in their league so far this season. So many great young prospects in that side like Tom Carroll. About Fergie's comments towards Levy? Meh, couldn't really care less to be honest. Levy technically did nothing wrong, it's just business.

6. Redknapp’s Tottenham or Villas-Boas’ Tottenham? Do you prefer Redknapp’s or Villas-Boas’ brand of football? And why?

Again, hard to say before the end of the season. I expect most people will say AVB because Harry was surprisingly (to opposition fans at least) quite unpopular amongst many Spurs fans due to his comments in the press, particularly in his last 6 months in charge. I always liked Harry mind you and am very grateful for the memories he gave us - but having said that, I supported the decision to sack him. AVB has done very well with his signings and is such a likeable guy though so my final answer is Villas-Boas' Tottenham.

Last tango in Belfast

Status
    Always a good game when your lot come to the Lane and don't expect sunday to be any different. Loosing Sandro and to a lesser extent Adebayor is a big blow to us so don't expect to see us line up with a traditional 4-4-2 more a 4-2-3-1 with probably Dempsey supporting Defoe up top. Not rocket science but defensively you have been relatively poor so would expect Lennon and Bale to have a right go at you. Heres hoping.
    Above expectations up to now but given where we are at the moment I would hope we will at the very least maintain 4th by seasons end.
    Sandro has been absolutely awesome and is a big loss.
    Cautiously optimistic when he took over but has proved his worth up to now. Freunds appointment has been instrumental also. Together they can bring us to the next level.
    Don't know much about him so could be one for the future. As for fergies comments, tbh,not sure what his problem is. If he rated him that highly he would have kept him. He just been Levyed
    Who's Redknapp?? It was good while it lasted but time to move on. AVB Spurs are in their infancy and it could be great so we'll just have to wait and see

Legend !

Status
    [QUOTE=Stretford End Arising;734514]Here are the questions:

The sandro news this week has dented my optimism about this game, he has been superb this season, although we are lucky to have parker as back up who we missed big time in the corresponding game last season.
    To have any chance of winning this game we need big performances from Bale and Lennon, if they allow themselves to be shut out of the game we will create very little.
    Obviously the amount of goals utd have conceded this season is encouraging.
    I dont buy into the idea that utd have a weak midfield, carrick and cleverly is a good well balanced partnership.
    I fully Expect Rooney to play deep like he seems to in all utd's big away games, he is a big danger in that position so hopefully he will be rusty after his recent injury, big worry is also our full backs against utds wide men.
    I also worry this will be one of those games were Defoe doesnt get a kick.

Very pleased so far considering we changed manager, lost 2 of our best players and had some terrible injury problems earlier in the season.
    Having got into the position we are in now i'll be very dissapointed if we dont finish 4th(or better).

Sandro for being a warrior, Vertonghen for being mr cool at the back, Dembele has proved he is a complete midfielder, Bale seems to add more goals to his game every season and Lloris has also been fantastic i dont think it can be argued that we probably wouldn't have as many points as we do if Friedel had been in goal instead, he will be considered the best goalkeeper in the world at some point in his career.

Love the guy, must admit i had my doubts when we appointed him but i truly believe he can lead us to great things.
    People have to remember that we still haven't been able to play avbs preferred formation, the guy has done superb in my book.

Seems like good business to me, time will tell.
    Regarding fergies comments- lets be honest, he's not averse to being a sly old git is he?

Arry did a good joboverall but he dug his grave and made his position untenable.
    The football under Avb is improving and as i mentioned earlier he hasn't been able to use his preferred 4-3-3 formation yet so its hard to judge his style of football properly.

Player in Training

Status
    Thank you rossdfc, conor1 and jrg83.

Anyone else interested?

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretford End Arising View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here are the questions:

I would guess the team will be as was except for no Adebayor and sandro.Which i guess will mean starts for both parker and dempsey?Except for De Gea dont really know of a weakness as such,like at OT if we can get down the flanks its our best way of pushing you back.That said maybe we will sit back after an initial high press to see if we can get someting early and play on the counter rather than trying to take the game to you as a home team.

So far so good,considering the injuries we have had and two big names moving on in the summer.Top 4 is the aim,if agent rafa can weave his maqic maybe a spawny 3rd isnt impossible.
    Lennon has been back to his top game,vertongen has started well,defoe has defied his critics by scoring and sandro has been a monster in midfield.If only bale and walker could be as last season then that would be scary for others.
    AVB is in charge so is the right man,i was sceptical after his chelsea experience but he is doing well,shows passion for the club,talks eloquently if you can get past his dalek voice!!I trust him with signings where as with Arry i didnt,if he can motivate like harry then we will have a good un.I just hope we stop this trying to close out games and handing the initiative to the opposition,or at least stop throwing results away late in the game.
    Dont know much of the player tbh,fergie pissed me off with his anti-levy/tottenham comments,if he has evidence then go to the FA not SSN,its not like he hasnt tapped up a few players in his time-
    AVBs spurs cos thats where we are at,there is no point in looking back.Its like asking you RVP on Cantonas UTD.

Have a good season,but on sunday please make mine a double!!you will be champions regardless of the 3pts at stake,so why not just let us win for once!!

Legend !

Status
    Looks like a draw to me, It will be interesting to see what AVB does without Sandro & Adebayor, maybe a straight swop with Parker & Dempsey, I think we"ll score because of the weakness in your defence.

I felt we could still challenge for top 4 after losing two big players, hope we can finish in the top 4 anything else will be a bonus.

Sandro has been really important so gutted he"s imjured, Lennon has played better this season, a few others have done well, but I think Bale is showing he is top class.

Jury is still out for me, there are some things I think he wants to do with the squad which will prove unpopular and mistaken

You cant kid a kidder, Levy has played the game imo, Fergie was out of order with his comments, but it proves how much its got to him .

That war is going on now between fans, I wasnt a fan of Arry due to his treatment of players and the fact he got too big for his boots with his attitude, AVB has improved us away from home so thats one plus for him.

Legend !

Status
    A draw is all I'm hoping for but a win will give me an orgasm. We will most likely go with 4-2-3-1, can't afford to let you lot outnumber us in the midfield, can we? Auto start: Lloris, Vertonghen, Parker, Dembele, Bale, Lennon, Defoe, and BAE assuming that he's fully match-fit. The best way I can see us scoring is from a counter attack with either Bale or Lennon charging straight towards the box.

Allow me to use AVB's word for this one: Tremendous. I expect we are going to fight hard for the 4th spot, possibly push for 3rd but given a choice, I'd rather 4th and a cup, be it either FA or Europa. That's what I would call a successful season.

Luckily we've got many contenders for "best player of the season" title. My choice is Bale, he's simply unplayable whenever he's on fire and it seems he has got rid of his inconsistency problem.

So far he's proven that he is a capable manager, I have nothing to complain about him. Having said that, it's still too early to judge whether or not he can build a dynasty here, but I have full faith in the man for now.

Typical Levy signing. Fergie's comments were just hilarious, I'm not really bothered by what he said. #InLevyWeTrust

6. Redknapp’s Tottenham or Villas-Boas’ Tottenham? Do you prefer Redknapp’s or Villas-Boas’ brand of football? And why?[/QUOTE]
    I back whomever is in charge, thus my answer is AVB. His football philosophy looks promising and I feel the team are more disciplined under him, as in they do what they are told to. Fewer random moments of brilliance from any player but more consistency in team's performance, which is what we need to achieve our goals.

Legend !

Status
    Really need to get something out of this game if we are to continue the pressure on the likes of Chelsea, Everton and scum. Obviously it will be a very tricky game but at home i feel confident of getting at least a point as i think that SAF will go for a more defensive team with the likes of scholes to keep the ball.
    4231...Lloris..Walker, Dawson, Vertonghen, Naughton..Parker, Dembele..Bale, Lennon, Dempsey..Defoe is what i would expect. Never really know the centre back pairing but its 4231 system that has worked relatively well to date. The one interesting thing is who plays right back. Valencia to deal with bale or rafael who has been your right back almost every game? Bale doesn't really like to stay left anymore though and so that could the weakness that we could exploit on sunday. Also lennon always seems to play very well against evra (hopefully that continues).

Good start, need to continue if we want to get that top 4. I wouldn't say i expect 4th spot but we have to aim for at least there if we are to attact any further players in the summer for progression.
    Dembele, Vertonghen, Defoe, Bale, Lennon, Sandro would be the stand out players and for the limited amount of time he has had to date, lloris. A lot more clean sheets with him. All of these players have had good seasons so far and its really disappointing that sandro is now out for the season but hopefully scotty parker will now step up for us.
    Yes, very good manager imo, young, clever tactically and lots of passion. With our limited budget its hard to get all the players you want to progress the club and AVB doesn't panic or give tantrums ala redknapp.
    Looks good, played a few games so far for the development squad and has been solid from the reports i've read. Seems to be a shy lad but hopefully he progresses and will be in the first team defence in a few years time similarly to caulker at the moment.
    Levy is a c*nt, no denying it, but he is good at being one.
    He will always try to get the best deals and he definitely did for fryers. It was kind of unfair on SAF but lets be honest SAF is a hypocrite if he says he has never done anything like that.
    Redknapp's style was more fun to watch as it brought entertaining football every week whether it got the results or not was a different matter. AVB has a nice style, and brings more of the tactics side into the game; something which redknapp severly lacked. AVB is getting the results consistently so far though and i feel more confident against the lower league teams than i did with redknapp even though redknapp had a proper creative midfielder in modric which AVB doesn't.

Player in Training

Status
    Thank you for the answers.

Here is SEA's match preview: Match Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs. Manchester United

Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretford End Arising View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here are the questions:

Well your defence is a bit ****. But so are Ade and Defoe at the minute. Formation....? We are thin on the ground so it will be what it will be.

Doing nicely tbh. Far above my expectations and if we ended up there at the end of the season I would be pissing my pants happy. If we get 4th again I would be well chuffed since we haven't reached the performance levels of last season due to being ravaged of arguably 2 of our best players.

Lloris, Dembele, Bale is quite good I suppose.

Have to admit I was skeptical as Arry gave us so many good memories and gave us stuff we have never had. But I am on board with the project and I think if Levy buys into it just as much we could be right in the mixer with you chaps very soon. Our trouble will be that any chopsy upstart just like your noisy neighbours can be handed the formula at any given moment. Money talks and we are doing it the long hard right way. Just like you's have over the years (until you sold out but you got it honestly in the first place).

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA. Dont fook with DL. I would say that it is clearly shifty. However on paper it's above board so there is basically fook all you or bacon face can do. I like and admire Fergie as he has done the fookin lot and is head shoulders and bollox above all others when it comes to managing football teams. Mourinhio isn't fit to lace his boots that's how high I rate the fella. He deflects attention from **** performances by slagging officials oppo managers or payers and is the master of it.

i dunno if the kid is any good FFS, never even heard of him.....!

Redknap gave us CL. At the same time he allowed me and the rest of Europe to whiteness Spurs playing some of the best and most exciting football every played by a Spurs side. In my lifetime I hand on heart haven't witnessed anything close to that at WHL. I will always be thankful for that and most of his tenure, especially saving us from almost certain relegation. I won't miss his wonky face or his verbal dioreah.

AVB is a pro. Much is yet to be seen. I am no longer worried by his appointment. I am excited about what he plans to do. I think his initial inflexibility here has gone and he is trying to get the best out of what he has got and is doing a cracking job IMO. A few of his own players in and he could do something special here. Trouble is we need to do it soon before Bale gets itchy feet and wants to leg it to see Ratface in Madrid.
    can you do me a solid and give us some answers to these questions too. Your point of view on them.

hey you guys

Status
    @Stretford End Arising

What are your thoughts on Sunday’s game?
    Bricking it as always. It would be the first time in my 'football-watching lifetime' where we are close to doing a 'double' over a team
    who have admittedly been our superiors for a while...might get banned for saying that on here though so you didn't hear this from me lol

What team is Andre Villas-Boas likely to select and what formation will he adopt?
    I think the absence of Sandro combined with the impending doom if we don't get it right tomorrow may force AVB to get a safe 4-4-2
    with Dembele and Parker in the middle for bulk. You are damn lucky Kaboul isn't ready yet because the central pairing of Kaboul and Vertonghen
    will be much harder for RVP and Hernandez to break down...although I'm well aware of RVP's ability from distance!

What weaknesses in United’s team will Villas-Boas look to exploit?
    Call me complacent but I think Rafael will be had for breakfast by Bale on the right flank...that translates as Bale's left and Rafael's right.
    Add to that one or two runs from Assou-Ekotto or Vertonghen and you may have last year on repeat!

What are your thoughts on Tottenham’s 2012-13 season?
    Looking very very good so far, but we've been here before and it's never been safe.
    AVB is 'the man' and I've insisted on this in the face of adversity from the day he got here.

What are you expectations for the remainder of the season?
    Expectations are just to get 3rd place. We've now learnt that 4th place is not a safe Champions League because of that stupid rule
    which allowed Chelsea to sneak in even though they finished outside those places. I expect third, nothing more, but certainly nothing less
    as it would be another year's hard work wasted. But it must be said, that with expectation comes bigger and more unnecessary disapoointment and vitriol if
    it doesn't turn out how we may want it to. I just expect Spurs to keep up the entertaining football but also get positive results from it.

Who have been Tottenham’s best players this season and Why?
    Vertonghen and Caulker have been saviours in the permanent absence of our legendary Ledley King.
    They always put their shift in and can score a vital goal at times. Vertonghen scored the solitary goal in an important AND well-earned 1-0 home win
    against Swansea. He also managed to put one past you lot on his own, even if it may have been logged as an own goal!

What are your thoughts on Villas-Boas?
    I think he is a lot better than the media [and Chelsea!] give him credit for. This is a man who lived right next to Bobby Robson and was a student under Mourinho.
    So what if he hasn't had much experience as a footballer. There are many journalists, analysts and commentators who haven't played but yet have a deep enough knowledge and love of the game which should be applauded. He didn't have the backing from Chairman or players at Chelsea so he was fighting an unwinnable war in an impossible job at a club with high expectations (check my previous answer about season-expectations). At Spurs, he has been given the backing from managers and players. It has shown and it has worked. He has won a treble in his first year with a moderately high-profile club. So what if it was Portugal. After beating United 2-3 at Old Trafford, he won a lot of people over that day too.
    I thank you .

Is he the right man to take Tottenham forward?
    He's definitely not the wrong man, if you get my drift. Couldn't think of anyone I'd rather have.
    He seems to fit the mould. He has the vision and thinks of this team as his long term project...I know Wenger has said something like that of Arsenal but
    he has won trophies over that time. I hope AVB brings us the same.

What are your thoughts on the signing of Ezekiel Fryers?
    I don't really know much about him as a player. But any signing is potentially a good one.
    However, our left back position is rather clogged as each of ours is somewhat good. Rose, Ekotto, Naughton and even Vertonghen.
    Saying that, Fergie has a good instinct with youngsters and he doesn't chuck them away for no good reason. We'll see what happens.

And Fergie’s subsequent comments on Levy?
    I'll warn you now, this might not be one to take back to Stretford End Arising:
    With all due respect to Fergie, he has said ridiculous things about this and should really close his mouth (on this isolated situation).
    Fergie has hypocritically done the same thing with Carrick and signed him. Berbatov arguably the same situation as Carrick.
    Spurs bid for Fryers from United a while back but it was rejected. He SOLD Fryers to Liege - A club in a different country with a different transfer policy.
    Spurs attempt to bid for him from Liege. The Belgian club agreed to sell Fryers to Spurs as their new gaffer found no use for him. What exactly was the problem?
    If it's the compensation then it's a bit picky isn't it? Spurs were perfectly legitimate in their actions, particularly if Liege's manager wanted to sell Fryers anyway.

Redknapp’s Tottenham or Villas-Boas’ Tottenham? Do you prefer Redknapp’s or Villas-Boas’ brand of football? And why?
    I was ok with both. But Redknapp's favouritism with players who just weren't doing the job on the pitch [anymore] cost the team dearly at times.
    That's all I will say on that as this issue has cause many a fierce argument.

Good luck tomorrow opponents. You may need it...in the form of a ref

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter