Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status
    Ready for the next step - News Articles - Tottenhamhotspur.com

Steven Caulker has set his sights on being a first team regular at Spurs after signing a contract extension until 2014 at the Club on Friday.

But the young defender is first focused on enjoying a solid first Premier League campaign with newcomers Swansea City, who he joined on a season-long loan on the same day.
    Still only 19, Steven progressed through our Academy ranks to make his full debut in a Carling Cup tie with Arsenal last September.

He said: “I’m happy to be part of the Club and hopefully I can become a regular in the side by 2014. I’ve been here since the age of 15, this is my first proper club, so nothing would please me more than to play regularly. Hopefully it will be a good year at Swansea and then I’ll be back here ready to play.”

Brendan Rodgers’ side will become the first ever from Wales to play in the Premier League after their entertaining brand of football saw them win promotion from the Championship via the Play-Offs in May.
    Steven saw enough of his new team-mates last season – when he was on loan in the same division at Bristol City - to suggest they can hold their own at the top level – and he is hoping to play a key role in helping them do that.
    The England Under-21 international added: “It’s all very exciting for everyone involved there. I played against them last year and you could see they’re a good footballing side, so I’m looking forward to playing there. They play in the style I’m used to at Spurs, and although it’s going to be new, it’s going to be enjoyable.

“I honestly think they’ll do well. I said it last year when we were looking at who was going to go up and I said if Swansea do go up, they’d have a good chance of staying up. Fingers crossed they will and I can be part of it.
    “For me the main thing this year is getting games and, with that, the performances as well, so it’s a great challenge. My family and I are more than excited - it’s going to be a massive year but one in which I’m ready to take on the challenge.”
    And Steven sees Premier League football as a natural next step to take having progressed from Academy football, to his first taste of senior football in League One with Yeovil two seasons ago, and then to the second tier with Bristol City last year.
    Indeed, it’s during his previous two loan spells, in which he has played a total of 76 senior games already despite his young age that he feels he has benefitted most from so far.

He added: “I’ve had a lot of support from my family and the coaches at Spurs, but also the players I’ve played alongside during my other loan spells.
    “I’ve played alongside experienced centre-halves who have taught me a lot along my way and each game I’ve learned a little bit more, so now I’m ready for the challenge.
    “Two years ago it might have been too much, but now I think the time is right so I’ve just got to go out there and prove it.”

Thought I'd give this its own thread, great news that he's got an extension cant wait until he's in our first team.

Legend !

Status
    Good to great. Hooe he shines at swans this year

talking in the wind

Status
    well get more money when he moves now

Legend !

Status
    Good to hear. Have a feeling it wasn't a difficult decision to keep this kid around. The future is bright for him.

massive bellend according to bigdub

Status
    ****%u002520yea%20big.jpgCaulker for captain 2014!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by thfcire View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    well get more money when he moves now
    you bite your tongue!!!!! @thfcire

7. Who Thanked this post

thfcire (02-07-2011)

i got theseeeee cheeessseeburgers mannn

Status
    This is awesome! I get to watch one of our most promising youngsters in the EPL next season! For anyone who knows Swansea and their level of CB's, would Caulker most likely be in the regular duo of the starting center backs? Or will he be most likely the third choice CB like Gallas was for us this season (since Ledders was out)?

Status
    Caulker wouldnt be going on loan if he wasnt a regular starter.......

i got theseeeee cheeessseeburgers mannn

Status
    I see. I was slightly confused because they're a Premiere league team now, and Caulker is a CB at 19, which in CB years is more like 16. That's great that he's starting, I hope he'll be for them what Phil Jones was for Blackburn this past season.

Legend !

Status
    great stuff hopefully it goes well. This time next year we could have a back 4 with walker, dawson, caulker, and rose.

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnaThor View Post
    I see. I was slightly confused because they're a Premiere league team now, and Caulker is a CB at 19, which in CB years is more like 16. That's great that he's starting, I hope he'll be for them what Phil Jones was for Blackburn this past season.
    Well apart from the knee injury yea

Legend !

Status
    It's a good idea to extend his contract before he starts playing well in the PL and the typical fookers come tapping up our players.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnaThor View Post
    I mean, nothing is set in stone in regards to him playing for Swansea but you have to think that wherever he goes out on loan to that he'll feature on a regular basis. Otherwise, he might as well stay with us and train with the first team.

boo

Status
    didn't o'hara do the same thing, or was that someone else? as in sign a new contract and then go straight to another club. here's hoping things go a little better for caulker

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by boo wills View Post
    didn't o'hara do the same thing, or was that someone else? as in sign a new contract and then go straight to another club. here's hoping things go a little better for caulker
    O'Hara signed an extension in 2009 and then went out on loan to Pompey. A handful of the players we sent out on loan last season did sign extension, like Caulker has.

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter