Register To Comment

Status
    A great achievement . Only the second outfield player to do so in England .

Many stories calling him "Gary"

Bravo mate .

First Team Player

Status
    Fully deserves it. Shame he's only been comming off the bench recently for Burnley, he is a really good player.

Let hope Burnley make the play off's again so I can have another trip to Wembley!

Legend !

Status
    tony ford.jpg

the other one and the first is tony ford, who is a friend of mine, great servant for many clubs, and a really nice guy,

4. Who Thanked this post

Rev John Ripsher (21-04-2011)

Status
    Peter Shilton was the other player .

Legend !

Status
    tony ford is the only other outfield player to do it, shilton was a keeper ,
    Tony Ford has paid tribute to Burnley's Graham Alexander, who is set to equal his record of 1,000 outfield appearances in English football.
    Ex-Scotland defender Alexander is set to reach the landmark in front of the home fans against Swansea on Saturday.
    Ford, who played alongside the 39-year-old at S****horpe, told BBC Radio Lancashire: "I knew he'd be a long time in the game because of his attitude.
    "He just wanted to play every Saturday and he's not changed one bit."
    Ford, who is currently the only outfield player to reach the landmark in the English game, added: "He loves training and he always has to be a winner - whether it's playing five-a-side on Monday morning or a pre-season run.

"He has to be a winner and has to be at the front."
    Ford's 1,000th appearance was for Rochdale in the quarter-finals of the Football League Trophy at Carlisle in March 2000.
    "It just arrives, it's not something you count down to," the former midfielder said.
    "The years pass by and because you just enjoy playing so much, you just don't realise the amount of games you're clocking up.
    "Every season starts with the challenge of just getting into the first team - that for me is what it's about and I'm sure it's the same for Graham."
    The 51-year-old hung up his boots in May 2002 before taking up an assistant manager's role at Rochdale.
    He now works in the insurance industry but still scouts for former club Grimsby Town, where he is considered a legend by supporters.
    Ford also played for Sunderland, Stoke, West Brom, Bradford, Barrow, Mansfield and Rochdale.
    He puts his longevity down to luck with injuries.
    "I never tackled, the worst injury in my 27-year career was four weeks out with a hamstring so looking after yourself and luck does come into it," he reflected.
    "Plus I've played odd games when I've not been fully fit. I'm sure Graham's done the same and that's added to the total."
    Alexander began his career with S****horpe before playing for Luton, Preston and Burnley.
    Despite being born in Coventry he has also represented Scotland on 40 occasions.
    Last edited by harrys lovechild; 21-04-2011 at 11:25 AM.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by harrys lovechild View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    tony ford is the only other outfield player to do it, shilton was a keeper ,
    Yup badly phrased by me . Shilton was the third English player and the only Goalie .

Legend !

Status
    sorry, i know fordie was very proud of being the only out field player, one of the first coloured players as well, he wrote a book some years ago, i think it was only on sale locally but it was a real good read,

First Team Player

Status
    How many app's did Ford have? Was is exactly 1000?

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter