Register To Comment
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Status
    LEO'S LONDON: Wilson Palacios giving Spurs a problem | Mail Online

Wilson Palacios came to Tottenham's rescue when they were in trouble two seasons ago and the club have been grateful ever since.
    But the Honduran now has a lot to do if his demotion to the bench on Tuesday is not to be the beginning of the end for him at White Hart Lane.
    Harry Redknapp's preamble to the club's big Champions League night at Werder Bremen was all about 'snatching a point' and not committing 'suicide'.

He even went for an unfamiliar 4-5-1 formation, the type that is traditionally anchored by a defensive, holding midfielder.
    Yet Spurs' established player in that position, the man they paid Wigan 12million for to fulfill that role, was among the substitutes.
    Even when the breathtaking supremacy which had given them a two-goal lead waned and they conceded, Palacios was not called upon.
    It seemed like the classic time to try to shore things up but Redknapp kept him on the bench.

Palacios eventually came on with 14 minutes left and even then he was shunted out to the right wing, where he could do little damage.
    If the alarm bells are not ringing for him yet, he really should get his hearing checked. They have been sounding at the club for some time (they already have a replacement in the making in Sandro) because Palacios no longer looks up to the job he was bought for.

In a struggling team trying to fight their way clear of relegation, he was a revelation. Just what they needed.
    But as Spurs have moved up the Premier League and raised their standards he has struggled to keep up.

Palacios is not the disciplined player who keeps the ball moving, who gets the team rolling from the back in the way Claude Makelele used to at Chelsea.
    He is not the robust and dominating player in possession in the middle of the park like the Frenchman's successor, John Mikel Obi, is becoming. Yet neither is he a lung-busting, omnipresent midfielder such as Michael Essien.
    The comparisons with Chelsea players are relevant because they, more than anyone in the Premier League, have made the holding role work.

At its best it is both destructive and constructive simultaneously, but Palacios' positional play, his touch, timing and pace are no longer good enough to demand a pivotal role in the higher echelons of English, never mind European, football.
    Redknapp knew that Marko Marin would be Werder Bremen's danger player on Tuesday night and that he would operate in the territory of a defensive midfielder.
    But he went instead for the more offensive and energetic midfield skills of Jermaine Jenas. The way Palacios has been playing, he had little other choice.

I know the guy has been through a lot, with his brother being murdered and all. His form as well all have stated has dipped, perhaps he looked so good coming in when we were struggling and now the squad has progressed that it has overpassed his ability? Just a thought

Legend !

Status
    He just seems to panic everytime he is on the ball, and just tries to play an impossible pass or a suicidal back pass. I think he just needs to time to get his head together, then hopefully he returns as the big willy we have come to love

Status
    Well done spursman . You see , these are the kind of objective posts that I like to read . Not that I agree with everything you say ( perish the thought ! ) but a well written , well formulated composition . As opposed to the " ****** ( fill in the dots ) is **** , get rid of him " kind of offering , far too often seen on here .

Cheers .

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev John Ripsher View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well done spursman . You see , these are the kind of objective posts that I like to read . Not that I agree with everything you say ( perish the thought ! ) but a well written , well formulated composition . As opposed to the " ****** ( fill in the dots ) is **** , get rid of him " kind of offering , far too often seen on here .

Cheers .
    Well Rev, I cant take credit for it its from the Daily Mail (apart from the last bit, thats all mine )....but I thought it was a good read on his current form.

Legend !

Status
    Very, very true unfortunately. Can't see him re-finding form unfortunately, but it's become almost tradition at spurs to be out of sorts for a long while before bouncing back.. if you're going to do it willy, do it soon!

Legend !

Status
    If only he could pass he would be a world beater......

Status
    I'm bumping this so that some on here can read it if they havent......

Legend !

Status
    He just turns into a massive spaz when he has the ball. He is surrounded by play makers but can't seem to get it to any one of them under even the simplest of circumstances.

talking in the wind

Status
    i was dissapointed in him against the bindippers, because he done brillant when he came on against bremen and i thought he might be back to his old self.i said in the match thread that first half was the worst hes played in a spurs shirt by a long way,i wasnt to pleased with the spurs fans cheering when he finally made a pass{cant be good for his confidence},the fact we made 2 subs saved him fromthe hook at halftime i reakon,in fairness he done much better second half but i cant help feel hes holding sandro back.i know alot will point to the goal against bolton in relation to sandro but hes learning the league and if you look at modders earily games he was caught out quite a few times till he got up to pace of the league

10. Who Thanked this post

spursman18 (29-11-2010)

champions league vip

Status
    Ive read it and tbh some bits i agree with but what its not highlighting is the fact that he hasn't become a bad player over night........

He clearly needs games but have Spurs got the time to risk giving Willy the games he needs, im not sure.

Ive said it time and time again when he does the simple things Willy is a top player but when he gets to far forward it clearly dont suit him. When he sits he's so much of a better player as we saw against the bin dippers in the second half.

I also think he plays better with Hudd next to him........... Modric is amazing player but he's movement is to much for willy to keep up with where as when he plays with Hudd he looks more comfortable imo.

Legend !

Status
    He probably needs to go on loan in the championship to gain confidense but it won't happen.

Legend !

Status

Where the hell has this Palacios gone???

Legend !

Status
    The WHL faithful NEED to start getting behind Willy and try to give him a confidence boost by cheering for him during games. I know his passing isn't the best, but with THudd out for a while he seems to be the man to come into that holding / def. midfielder role.
    The booing focused on him and then finally cheering when he made a good pass surely isn't good for his confidence. He puts his all out there for the squad and was certainly was a big factor in getting us out of the relegation zone and up the table a couple seasons ago. Is it too much to ask of us to get behind him and try to boost his confidence while he is on the pitch rather than making him feel like an outcast? I feel it is the very least we can do for the guy.
    If he works on his passing, which he most probably has been in training, he could be a GREAT defensive midfielder / cover for THudd and would be a great player for us if we ever employed a 4-5-1.

Legend !

Status
    I was a huge fan of Wilson and argued on these boards that he was a world class midfield destroyer.

However, since the discovery of his murdered brothers body, he has been a shadow of the player he was - which is quite understandable.

I'm not sure what Harry can do to get the best out of him in future - must be a hell of a difficult task!

16. Who Thanked this post

glenda (04-12-2010)

Legend !

Status
    I think having wilson in the squad is ok because he does shut the game out quite well with 15 mins to go. However he just isn't good enough to start he wins the ball and then just doesnt know what to do with it. Although saying that i was at WHL for the bremen game and i thought he was quality but he went from one extreme to the other as he was apalling against liverpool. I wouldnt get rid of him just yet and he did us well as the article said for that first season however now we're more of a footballing team the perfect compromise is tom huddlestone for me who's proving to be a quality player and i've been more and more impressed with jenas this season and i think he may have even jumped above wilson in the pecking order although that's still up for debate and probably depends on the team we play.

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter