Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jon Obika

Legend !

Status

It's mission accomplished so far in pre-season for Jonathan Obika.

The young striker was determined to make his mark in our early friendlies and has done so with two goals in four matches.

He scored our first goal of pre-season in the 4-0 win at Bournemouth before grabbing the equaliser against Sporting Lisbon in the Barclays New York Challenge on Sunday.
    Entering the action just before the hour, Jon latched onto Robbie Keane's passbefore striking low past Patricio in the Red Bull Arena.

With another couple of efforts on goal it was a lively half-hour cameo from the 19-year-old - enough to snatch ESPN's Man of the Match award!

"It's always good to hit the ground running in pre-season and I've been delighted to get on the scoresheet," said Jon, who enjoyed loan spells at Yeovil and Millwall last season.
    "The aim is of course to first and foremost get fit and match sharp but if I can make an impact in matches and do well in front of the manager it's always helpful.

"I love football so to be able to come out to America and train with the first-team squad is fantastic.

"I've been able to pick up so much by training and playing with the likes of Keano and Pav, players in my position, watching how they play, the runs they make, the quality of their finishing and that's given me confidence. It's gone well so far."

So does Jon Obika have what it takes to be a first team striker for Spurs then?
    Over the years Tottenham have produced many fine goalkeepers, defenders and midfielders but a distinct lack of strikers.

In fact, Mark Falco is the only one I can remember making the grade and before that it was Frank Saul.

I'd put Peter Crouch in a different category, as although he came through our Academy he only made Tottenham's first team after transfers to QPR, Portsmouth, Aston Villa, Southampton, Liverpool and Portsmouth again.

Legend !

Status
    He definately has a chance.

Legend !

Status
    i think he will definitely have a good chance in cup games this season and in those games he has to prove himself

Player in Training

Status
    he looks quite lively. dont know if hes quite ready yet. a loan may be good for him.

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by markyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    he looks quite lively. dont know if hes quite ready yet. a loan may be good for him.
    if its a loan i want to see a premiership club where he will get 1st team football

THTV Donator

Status
    He is starting to show his ability...he has potential to be a big name in the future. Didn't he score in the FA Cup (youth) Semi Final @ WHL two seasons ago. If so, great goal. BTW - 10 loyalty points for tickets for that game which only cost £5 LOL...

Legend !

Status
    if he goes to another premier leaue side he wont play so i think it be more benificial for him to have a run in the championship.

Legend !

Status
    So whats the difference if he stays here then he wont get played over our strikers, I think hell'd get a sniffin in west ham, Blackpool or someone along those lines... i'm pretty sure we could offer him on loan and put a clause saying he has to be played in a certain amount of games if we pay his wages...

But I would rather see him fight for his place in our squad and play some cup football

Legend !

Status
    I think this is the season we start bleeding through our academy players into some first team chances, so that next season we can see who can do it at the top level. I'd love to see Jon Obika playing some, he definately does have ability to be a top striker!

Player in Training

Status
    As a Palace fan, I thought I would just drop you an update on Obikaís performances. Whilst we arenít exactly setting the league alight, quite the opposite in fact, Obioka has been nothing but awful. If any of you lads are passing through Croydon, you couldnít pick him up and take him back with you?

You may as well take Davids back too.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Holmesdale Eagle View Post
    As a Palace fan, I thought I would just drop you an update on Obika’s performances. Whilst we aren’t exactly setting the league alight, quite the opposite in fact, Obioka has been nothing but awful. If any of you lads are passing through Croydon, you couldn’t pick him up and take him back with you?

Yeah, I dont think he's going to make it here and I havent been impressed when he's played (especially this years preseason)

thanks for the update, and welcome to the forum.

Legend !

Status
    i eard he just started i few games and then he got injured

Legend !

Status
    yea i thought he was injured too?

hey you guys

Status
    Are we ever going to see any of our reserves play for Spurs again/at all?
    The only time I seem to hear about them is when they get sold or sent on loan to other clubs.

hey you guys

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Holmesdale Eagle View Post
    As a Palace fan, I thought I would just drop you an update on Obika’s performances. Whilst we aren’t exactly setting the league alight, quite the opposite in fact, Obioka has been nothing but awful. If any of you lads are passing through Croydon, you couldn’t pick him up and take him back with you?

You're saying this after four appearances?

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter