Register To Comment
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Legend !

Status
    ...and I have to say that this is ****in terrible. (Toronto FC vs Seattle)

I'm pretty sure that I have seen better Isthmian league football in England.

At least they've brought in a british commentator this time so it's bearable to listen to.... oh wait, until the american commentator comes on.... yup he's even ruined that to.

So in conclusion

a) ****ty footie
    b) ****ty sounding commentator who ruins the game with his input and
    c) Will the guy in the front row of Toronto FC's support please stop banging those fookin pots and pans together. It's given me a fookin headache.
    d) Good to see that ex gooner scum Ljunberg gettin sh!t kicked all over the field.

Legend !

Status
    You should try the SPL!!!!

3. Who Thanked this post

thfcire (25-04-2010)

Status
    You watch MLS, you get what you get.

The biggest problem MLS faces is that people like me, who have been around the game their whole lives, choose to watch the EPL and European footie. Just how it is, I guess.

But I do think that as the game develops in this country and in Canada, it won't do it by copycatting the cultural aspects of the British game. If it did, there would be people slagging it for trying to be British. Either way, people will slag it.

Legend !

Status
    Arlo White's just started commentatingh there hasn't he? I rather rate him, to be honest (and yeah, Smyth's a clown).

The League's a little muscular at the moment but there's good stuff in there occasionally and it's still in its formative years...

Legend !

Status
    its bad but it will grow, the german league was once one of the worst in europe and now germany is one of the best national teams ever, better than england and argentina and spain! so the league will grow, the bad thing is the americans dont care, most of them say 'its not exciting', they dont realise its not about the goals but what happens in between the goals

the bad thing in mls is that what happens in between the goals is not always nice.. not like europe

Legend !

Status
    well typical american fans just wants goals. so therefore soccer (and hockey for that matter) will never really grow. however for me i don't care if a game ends 0-0. i just want chances to be available to score. therefore if you don't see any goals atleast you know you watched the keeper make a good ammount of saves.

MLS is still pretty new and with the money they are allowed to spend you obviously will not be getting great players to the league. also one of the things that will help is as americans grow up being exposed to the game more often then that will have more wanting to grow up to play the game. i typically do not pay attention to the commentators though as they (in all sports really) don't contribute much to what is going on.

shady!

Status
    YouTube - Miss of the century

some excellent finishing from the mls!

9. These users say thanks for this post

Generic User Name (27-04-2010),Javi (28-04-2010)

Legend !

Status
    I know the game is no where at the level that UK/Ireland folks are used to but its all we have. with three or four players in a game that could make a lower epl side getting paid 10 fold what the rest of the team makes you wont get pretty football.
    As far as the fans go Toronto and Seattle have amazing fans. I'm not into the drums either but for north American fans they are amazing. 20000 strong on a cold raining Canadian spring day really says something.

if you didnt know the salary cap for a mls team is about 2.5 mil american. (1.5 milion pounds) + a designated (if you want) player who only counts 250000 towards the cap. and it has to be this way for now according to mls management. to carry the teams that have really low attendance unlike seatle and toronto. All teams have to abide by these rules its called parity and it sucks.

First Team Player

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiendg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know the game is no where at the level that UK/Ireland folks are used to but its all we have. with three or four players in a game that could make a lower epl side getting paid 10 fold what the rest of the team makes you wont get pretty football.
    As far as the fans go Toronto and Seattle have amazing fans. I'm not into the drums either but for north American fans they are amazing. 20000 strong on a cold raining Canadian spring day really says something.

if you didnt know the salary cap for a mls team is about 2.5 mil american. (1.5 milion pounds) + a designated (if you want) player who only counts 250000 towards the cap. and it has to be this way for now according to mls management. to carry the teams that have really low attendance unlike seatle and toronto. All teams have to abide by these rules its called parity and it sucks.

What about the Galaxy surely Donovan and Beckham get paid more

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by steelktm View Post
    well typical american fans just wants goals. so therefore soccer (and hockey for that matter) will never really grow.
    Not sure what American's you are talking about, but most people I know love hockey. It can be low scoring, but with the boards and hitting it makes the game that much better. You couldn't have said it better about how the majority feel about soccer though. Too slow, too much build-up, not enough goals. My roommates give me ****e for it all the time when I turn on the EPL or CL football. In due time the sport will grow though. Hopefully the WC this year will turn a lot of heads as the US squad has a great chance of making it out of group stages. Lots of people are excited to watch it which is great.

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by USspur View Post
    Not sure what American's you are talking about, but most people I know love hockey. It can be low scoring, but with the boards and hitting it makes the game that much better. You couldn't have said it better about how the majority feel about soccer though. Too slow, too much build-up, not enough goals. My roommates give me ****e for it all the time when I turn on the EPL or CL football. In due time the sport will grow though. Hopefully the WC this year will turn a lot of heads as the US squad has a great chance of making it out of group stages. Lots of people are excited to watch it which is great.
    what part of the US are you from? Here in Louisville, or further south it isn't the case. Hockey is in reality a fringe sport. now i love hockey and because of that have found a league to play here in Louisville. however the vast majority of people i know won't turn hockey on unless its on NBC sadly.

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Generic User Name View Post
    What about the Galaxy surely Donovan and Beckham get paid more
    thats the whole designated player part. their salary only counts on that 250k part no matter how much more they get paid than that ammount.

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiendg View Post

I'd rather pay the extra $15 a month to watch the SPL on setanta than the MLS on CBC for free. Sorry, but it has to be said.

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by T.K. Massive View Post
    I'd rather pay the extra $15 a month to watch the SPL on setanta than the MLS on CBC for free. Sorry, but it has to be said.
    I gotta agree with you spl is miles ahead and it deserves 2 be.

Im just torn about the mls. For me its a building block. i dont really like the way its being run but young american and canadian talent have a league to play in.

Legend !

Status
    This region's football overall is crap Mexican league is mediocre at best I won't go into another MLS rant:P but the truth is truth this region's football is crap.

Instead of establishing it's own style of football they try and copy another region's style and as I said before as long as they keep calling it soccer it will be down in the list in the US.

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter