Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Olympics

these are small those cows are far away

Status
    OK, maybe a bit too early to open this thread. However - and with apologies to our foreign viewers here - the Grauniad has been running a series of articles on where Team GB is, in particular sports, with 6 months to go.

Now, I'm a great fan of taekwondo and it gives me an opportunity to post up the Aaron Cook vs Steven Lopez fight from Mexico back in 2009. To put things in perspective, Cook beating the unbeatable Lopez was akin to Clay beating Liston. Cook went on to become World number 1 but went out on points in the 2011 World Championships.

Britain's Olympic cyclists are on track for a golden summer | Sport | The Guardian

Britain's Olympic sailors can brush off pressure and rule the waves | Sport | The Guardian

Quality is abundant but question is who should be put in which boats | Sport | The Guardian

Adlington, Payne and co on course to match Shanghai high at Olympics | Sport | The Guardian

Status
    I love the Olympics. It's a great chance to experience an array of events you don't see on a regular basis.

Then for me there's the game inside the games, I track all the Olympians from my school. SC sent 41 Olympians to Beijing in 2008. USC and UCLA are big on Olympic sports so it's a little mini-rivalry we have every 4 years because we both usually have a few Olympians from many countries. Track athlete Tasha Danvers from the UK is a Trojan.

Status
    If only golf was part of the Olympics (which eventually it will be) I'd be able to claim that someone (Luke Donald) from my old high school was participating. And there is certainly no-one better than Luke at the moment - at least when it comes to the rankings.

4. Who Thanked this post

BlueCrew LA (26-01-2012)

Status
    If speed walking is an Olympic sport golf should be.

Status
    Speaking of Luke Donald, I pray to God he doesn't end up being a serial underachiever - in terms of winning the majors, at least - that Greg Norman was. Norman was always there or thereabouts in terms of ranking points, but really 'The Shark' should have won more. Still, Donald has age on his side.

Two majors for Norman - none on North American soil - is actually pretty pisspoor.

Status
    The Olympics is a massive event and I am bereft that I cannot afford tickets this time .

I might volunteer to be a driver though .

I'm ***y and I know it

Status
    I may end up working so I should see some bits for free

First Team Player

Status
    I'm really looking forward to it. I have tickets for the Beach Volley Ball (womens) and Team GB's opening game in the football. I hope we pick a decent squad!

Legend !

Status
    I've been fortunate to actually hold two gold medals in my life: a wrestling Gold won in Atlanta, and a Ice Hockey gold won in (goosebumps...start....NOW) Lake Placid.

Kinda of envious for you folks in London. Would love to sit and watch The Games someday.

Status
    The greatest marching band on Planet Earth is coming to the UK. (not including Southern bands from traditionally black colleges)

Trojan Marching Band to Visit London for Pre-Olympics Tour

By Brett Padelford

April 20, 2012

It’ll be the biggest thing to hit London this summer – well, at least until Queen Elizabeth’s Diamond Jubilee in June and opening ceremony for the Summer Olympics two months later.

From May 14-21, the USC Trojan Marching Band will visit the United Kingdom for a pre-Olympics tour, representing the only university in the world to have a gold-medal athlete in each Summer Olympics since 1912. The Spirit of Troy is scheduled to perform three concerts and receive private tours of Parliament and the Olympic Village.

The concerts will feature high-energy renditions of contemporary hits and classic fight songs in addition to performances by the USC Silks and Song Girls. The band will perform on May 17 at Canary Wharf, on May 18 at Potters Field and on May 20 in Trafalgar Square. Concert dates and times are subject to change. Updated information can be found at uscband.com/worldtour

This will be the band’s 13th biennial international trip and second visit to London. It has a history of collaborations with British rock bands, recording two platinum albums with Fleetwood Mac and backing up Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead for a performance at the Grammy Awards in 2009.

Arthur C. Bartner, in his 42nd year as band director, is excited to be going overseas again.

“This [will be] my fifth trip to London, one of the most vibrant cities in the world. And this is the perfect time to be there with the Diamond Jubilee and the upcoming Olympics. I’m honored that the Trojan Marching Band can be part of these once-in-a-lifetime celebrations. It will be a great experience for our students.”

Bartner served as director of the 800-piece All-American College Marching Band – 200 of which were Trojans – that performed at the opening and closing ceremonies of the Summer Olympics in 1984. The USC band also played for the 1996 and 2002 Olympics torch relays and has taken pre-Olympic tours of Spain in 1992 and Australia in 2000.

TMB performing Tusk at Halftime against Oregon State

Status
    Edit: I forgot we already had an Olympics thread.

-Merged-

talking in the wind

Status
    I have a really bad feeling about this one with it being in London, not trying to be a kill joy but I just have a very uneasy feeling about it

Legend !

Status
    Ire into conspiracy stay away chaps

talking in the wind

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ModDaws View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ire into conspiracy stay away chaps
    Don't say I didn't tell you all, I'm expecting alien invasion lol

16. Who Thanked this post

1van (29-05-2012)

Legend !

Status
    Im a London ambassador and will be in trafalgar square opening week so bring some abuse

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter