Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Legend !

Status
    It says in some ITK that Tim Sherwood watching Souleymane Coulibaly star for Côte d’Ivoire in the Fifa U-17 World Cup in Mexico 2011. I sqw a video of the guy get a hattrick against Brazil ina 3-3 drew then read some info about him and he has scored every one of Ivory Coast's eight goals in the competition so far - and this is in only three games so far!

He looks like he would be great up front for us.

“It’s great that people are saying he’s the star of the tournament, but for me the real stars are the team. They’re the ones who make the difference, just as they’ve done here against Brazil.” Those words were uttered by Côte d’Ivoire coach Alain Gouamene in the press conference that followed his side’s 3-3 draw with the Brazilians in their final game in Group F at the FIFA U-17 World Cup Mexico 2011. And at this stage of the competition it is not hard to guess that the “he” Gouamene was referring to was Souleymane Coulibaly, the player who has scored each and every one of the Elephants’ eight goals in the competition so far.The prolific Coulibaly is averaging a remarkable 2.66 goals per game at Mexico 2011, just a shade below the tournament average of 2.72. The scorer of two hat-tricks to date, the Ivorian is well clear of his closest pursuers in the race for the adidas Golden Shoe, with Brazil’s Ademilson, New Zealand’sStephen Carmichael and Yassine Benzia of France all trailing on three goals. The Siena player’s flawless finishing has taken him to within one goal of the all-time competition record of nine, set by France’s Florent Sinama Pongolle at Trinidad and Tobago 2001, when he scored seven in the first round.

We need to stop and remember that we’re talking about a kid who’s not 17 yet and who’s playing in a tournament that hasn’t even finished.
    Ivorian U-17 coach Alain Gouamene tries quell expectations

Yet despite his striker’s headline-grabbing feats, Gouamene is looking at the bigger picture: “If we’re going to create a winning mentality, it has to come from the whole team and that’s something I want to get through to the boys between now and Thursday [when his side play France in the last 16]. It can’t all be Coulibaly, Coulibaly.”Gouamene’s cautious approach reflects his concern at investing all his side’s hopes in a striker showing huge promise, but one who will not turn 17 for another six months. With such young charges on their hands, the Ivorian tactician and his counterparts have to think about far more than formations and game-plans. In playing the additional roles of teacher, guardian and tutor, their job is to protect gifted teenage players from the hype and publicity their sudden emergence can generate.Coulibaly’s breakthough at Mexico 2011 is a case in point and Gouamene is keen to put things in perspective: “We need to stop and remember that we’re talking about a kid who’s not 17 yet and who’s playing in a tournament that hasn’t even finished.”
    Goals of every shape and size
    The conundrum now facing the Elephants’ boss is that the task of playing down expectations will be even harder should Coulibaly continue to score goals. And given Côte d’Ivoire’s reliance on his finishing skills, Gouamene will not want to see his star asset lose his touch at this stage of proceedings.All that was missing from his eight-goal group-phase repertoire, which included just one penalty and is available to watch in the links on the right, was a header. Two of his goals were scored with his left foot, one of them an unstoppable near-post piledriver hit with the outside of his boot against Brazil, and his haul has also included solo efforts, typical poacher’s goals and a superbly executed bicycle-kick, the third of his treble against the Brazilians.That hat-trick came as an unwelcome surprise to Seleção coach Emerson Avila, whose side had kept clean sheets in their first two games against Denmark and Australia but had no answer to Coulibaly’s penalty-box pyrotechnics.“The kid in the No19 shirt was fantastic, as he’s been in every game so far,” commented an appreciative Avila. “We knew we’d have a job marking him and he went out and scored three.” Gouamene will also have been pleased to hear the Brazil boss’s warm words of praise for the rest of the Ivorian front line: “Their forwards are excellent with the ball at their feet and they got to the byline a lot, which caused us a lot of problems. Their players are very quick and strong and they’re always looking to score.”As that appraisal shows, there is more to Côte d’Ivoire than just Souleymane Coulibaly. But as long as he keeps knocking the goals in, he can expect to keep on hogging the limelight.

FIFA.com - Coulibaly basking in Ivorian limelight

2. Who Thanked this post

spursman18 (29-06-2011)

Legend !

Status
    I've been watching the world cup and the kids been insane. I say sign him up, he'll be cheap and who cares if he flops, we can just sell him later. But he could be world class if he comes good.

Low risk but very high reward IMO.

Status
    Moved to the ITK thread because an ITK prompted the story.

P.S. Not gonna happen, he's most likely going to Real Madrid.

Legend !

Status
    All three of those goals were top class. Loved the first one especially, but all are great finishes.

Legend !

Status
    He seems like an excellent prospect. However, our scouts may be watching him but so are the scouts from all over the world. It's too early to think we can get him.

7. Who Thanked this post

AmericanHotspur (29-06-2011)

Legend !

Status
    all 3 of his goals were blinding, the 1st was something else. I'd stick him straight into the 1st team!

First Team Player

Status
    Watching their games against Denmark and Australia too! The boy knows where the goal is! 8 goals in 3 games, both feet, rapid and strong

Legend !

Status
    hasnt used his head to get one yet though

Legend !

Status
    i'd love us to get him but i get the feeling he'll aim too high and turn rotten on the bench!

i was very impressed by his displays in the U17 World Cup though.

Legend !

Status
    every team is watching this is the important tournament, for example ronaldinho gold ball winner and champion of this tournament. it is probably best if he goes first to a random club in france so he can learn european culture and football, then he will be welcome elsewhere

probably tho he will just go to inter or chelsea...

Status
    From the Mirror.......

Tottenham are ready to sign the 'new Didier Drogba' - Ivory Coast's sensational teenage striker Souleymane Coulibaly.
    Spurs supremo Daniel Levy has teed up a stunning £2 million deal for Coulibaly, who has scored nine goals in just four games at the mini World Cup in Mexico.
    Coulibaly - just 16 years and six months - bagged back-to-back hat-tricks, including some amazing strikes to get some of the game's giants stampeding for the young 'Elephant' hit man.
    The fantastic talent plays for AC Siena's youth team but he can be bought and Spurs are flying to Italy today in a bid to seal the deal ahead of Spanish giants Real Madrid.

Coulibaly has been likened to Drogba because of his explosive power and shooting and the fact that he is almost half the age of the Ivory Coast and Chelsea star.
    And while Harry Redknapp would love the original version if Chelsea would sell, crafty Levy has worked on the move to land the new version.
    Spurs have so much faith in Coulibaly that they will offer him a squad number and promote him to Redknapp's first-team squad immediately - all part of the incentive to sign.

Levy has masterminded Tottenham's transfers so far this summer, landing keeper Brad Friedel for nothing and bringing in Mexican hot shot Antonio Pedroza Whitham who has just arrived in London.

Status
    Making a new thread in the transfer news section for him.

VIP Member

Status
    The boy knows how to strike a football, that's for sure - amusingly, it took me a little while to realise, but half the video is actually a totally different Coulibaly altogether, Boubacar Coulibaly at Freiburg, lol

Not sure why we only seem to be signing either really young players or really old players? I tell you what tho, this boy looks twice the player Lukaku looks & is younger too. Lukaku = £25m, Coulibaly = £2m

hmmmmm, nope, I can't pick between them
    Last edited by basskadet; 09-07-2011 at 12:07 AM.

16. Who Thanked this post

spursman18 (09-07-2011)

Status
    @basskadet

Since there has been an actual link in the papers to him I made him a new thread in the transfer section. Feel free to post that video in that thread, and I agree as far as the price goes could be a great deal for us.

VIP Member

Status
    lol, I didn't even realise I was in the ITK thread, not the transfer thread!!

19. Who Thanked this post

boo (09-07-2011)

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter