Register To Comment

talking in the wind

Status
    Trapattoni to stick with tried and trusted

Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni has said he does not intend to bring new faces into the squad ahead of the Euro 2012 campaign.
    Several young Irish players have impressed in the Premier League this season with Wes Hoolahan and Anthony Pilkington at Norwich, and James McClean at Sunderland among those attracting attention.
    But Trapattoni intends to stick with the tried and trusted group that qualified Ireland for Euro 2012. That policy will also extend to the friendly matches Ireland will play before departing for Poland in June.
    The Italian is in town for the Airtricity/Soccer Writers' Association of Ireland Awards, which take place tonight.
    Asked about Sunderland winger McClean at a press conference in Dublin today, he said: "I am paying attention to others, but they are for the future, they are for the next squad. This squad got us good results, they achieved the qualifying, and I think they deserve to go. They know our system and our attitude."
    The upcoming friendly in February against the Czech Republic may see Ireland experiment with new ideas, but results are also important with the FIFA World Rankings also in the manager's mind.
    He added: "It is important for the rankings. Second, we are not trying other ideas. We may try other options to help the squad but the main squad will feature. This is different to other friendlies; this is the start of a new campaign. It is important. ''

Trapattoni was also asked about his opinion on Robbie Keane's loan move to Aston Villa and Darron Gibson's transfer from Manchester United to Everton.
    Commenting on Keane, he said: "I am happy with Robbie. He is moving to England. It is important that he is in the right mentality, he is not injured. England can be dangerous, but I am happy for him."
    Having advocated a move for Gibson for a number of years, he was also positive about the midfielder's switch to Goodison Park. Now I know mc clean was given assurance that he would have a chance to get into the squad and that is why he declared for us over the north same goes for mark Wilson .we have a batch of really good youngsters coming through and he doesn't give them a chance,your throwing away my country's chances of having a great euros

Status
    Doesn't make any sense. Hoolihan in particular has been very impressive, it's hard to believe Trap won't even give him and some others a look in the friendlies. I'm wondering if Capello may do the same thing.

3. Who Thanked this post

thfcire (13-01-2012)

talking in the wind

Status
    The bloke is so set in his ways it drives me fooking nuts, I fully understand him sticking with players that got us there but Andrews versus modders ????? Jesus

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter