Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

THTV Donator

Status
    I am English and so naturally want to see England do well in Euro 2012.

But, I was really upset to hear that one game of Rooney's 3 match ban has been suspended.

When a player is red carded for an overly zealous or mistimed tackle, then maybe a 3 match ban could be seen as harsh and an appeal would be in order.

When a player is red carded for violent conduct then I think a long ban is in order. If a player subsequently commits the same crime then I personally don't want to see him in an England (or Tottenham) shirt ever again. In my opinion Rooney should never have been allowed to represent our country again after the Ricardo Carvalho incident. If any one of us had behaved like that in our place of work or in the street I'm sure the Police would have been involved.

I have an 11 year old grandson who is mad about football, he plays for a junior side and is a keen England supporter. Gentlemen like Rooney are, like it or not, role models for young footballers and supporters, this show of leniency does not send the sort of message I would like to see conveyed to my grandson and other young players. Rooney's kick on Dzudovic may have been a bit of a girly sort of assault, but an assault is what it was. This sort of behaviour should not be tolerated and I think that UEFA, by suspending part of his ban are saying that 'Violent Conduct' is not a serious issue in the modern game.

Legend !

Status
    Gonna disagree with you. Yes he had a rush of blood and kicked out, but he was never gonna break the guys leg unlike some of the tackles and the fact that he didn't protest and said sorry straight away to the player should be rewarded with a lesser ban.

3. These users say thanks for this post

Hidden (09-12-2011),MagnaThor (09-12-2011)

THTV Donator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyvw View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gonna disagree with you. Yes he had a rush of blood and kicked out, but he was never gonna break the guys leg unlike some of the tackles and the fact that he didn't protest and said sorry straight away to the player should be rewarded with a lesser ban.
    Who are you Sepp Blatter? Say sorry and everything is OK? This wasn't a tackle - he kicked the player in a dummy spitting tantrum. To me this is unnaceptable, especially from someone who should be a role model to our kids. Maybe you think that's an old fashioned attitude? OK.

If it was an isolated incident I might even agree with you (very unlikely) - but have a look at Rooney's form sheet and count the so called 'blood rushes' - too many my friend, way too many.

THTV Donator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyvw View Post
    Will have to disagree there. What he did afterwards would only come close to not having the ban extended for me. Rooney is a thug, he kicked the player with no attempt to play the ball and who's to say it couldn't have caused more damage than it did. He tried the same thing against Newcastle and got away with it.

I don't like Queen Kenny but he has a point on this one. While the FA are trying to get a ban for Rooney reduced where he kicked a guy, they are at the same time charging everyone non-English for arguably a lot less.

6. Who Thanked this post

najt rajder (09-12-2011)

Legend !

Status
    I just don't see what Rooney did as likely to injuring a player. Where as you see players nearly cut players in 2 and then half the team protest in the refs face. But that's deemed as alright about it's a 'tackle'.

i love mister ed and can not lie lol

Status
    If this was someone else who kicked out at the player, Scott Parker for example, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Rooney is a complete **** but England, dare i say it, "needs him" if we are to stand any chance of playing well in Euro 2012.

Legend !

Status
    I think it's just embarrassing that we're so desperate for him to be playing. Like our hopes are all dependent on this massive chav. This reeks of the "Beckham metatarsal" affair, where apparently we were doomed without him. If it had been anyone else, we probably wouldn't have even bothered appealling.

It's not like this is the first time Rooney has done anything like this. It's not out of character, it's the type of player he is.

What we should have done is not appeal, and leave him out of the squad. That'll teach him. We're more then capable of getting results without him, actually, it might do us a world of good to have him out of the squad. I know it was a friendly, but we beat Spain without him didn't we?

i got theseeeee cheeessseeburgers mannn

Status
    That was nothing. Look at all the crimes that have gone on without ANY suspensions. Rooney barely deserved a red, and if he got one, the 1 match obligatory ban would be more than enough for it. There are so many incidents in which players deserved 3+ match bans, one that comes to mind instantly is that ****ing **** Flamini against Corluka last season in Milan. He pointed to Charlie a minute before the tackle, the pointing was more than obvious that it meant something like "I'm going to get you", and he looked pissed. And the tackle, as two footed as it gets, full speed on Charlie, and he fooking gets a yellow for it, forget suspension... If Rooney got 2-3 match ban, that coont deserved a 10 match ban.

11. Who Thanked this post

mattyvw (11-12-2011)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancubus View Post
    I think it's just embarrassing that we're so desperate for him to be playing. Like our hopes are all dependent on this massive chav. This reeks of the "Beckham metatarsal" affair, where apparently we were doomed without him. If it had been anyone else, we probably wouldn't have even bothered appealling.

It's not like this is the first time Rooney has done anything like this. It's not out of character, it's the type of player he is.

What we should have done is not appeal, and leave him out of the squad. That'll teach him. We're more then capable of getting results without him, actually, it might do us a world of good to have him out of the squad. I know it was a friendly, but we beat Spain without him didn't we?
    He's one of the best players in the world, do you really think Darrent Bent and 21 year old Welbeck would handle the pressure of Euro2012 better than Rooney? And I'm not even bringing raw talent into this one.

i love mister ed and can not lie lol

Status
    Rooney is definitely one of the best players, i agree with you there @MagnaThor but i don't know if he really cares about his country much. It's a real shame tbh, maybe someone younger would be more committed, although clearly not as talented. I think that's what people are getting at because Rooney has been useless for England.

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnaThor View Post
    He's one of the best players in the world, do you really think Darrent Bent and 21 year old Welbeck would handle the pressure of Euro2012 better than Rooney? And I'm not even bringing raw talent into this one.
    Rooney hasn't performed well in an England shirt for years. I personally think he's over rated. When under pressure, Rooney kicks out at players and gets sent off.

I'm not doubting he's a very good player, but from an England point of view, I don't think it'd be a terrible thing if he didn't come to Euro 2012.

Legend !

Status
    When you look up **** in the dictionary you will see a picture of Rooney, it's sad when a player of his skill has to go out and throw hissy fits. IMO this would be a great time to develop someone else, what better way to show him what he missed. Not saying that it could happen overnight but while Rooney is good so are others.

Status
    Hasn't scored since september from what I hear .... who needs him ?

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev John Ripsher View Post
    Hasn't scored since september from what I hear .... who needs him ?
    He's been fielded as a deep lying playmaker for several games.

Legend !

Status
    I think suspensions for violent conduct and cheating should be upheld without backpedalling. And we wonder why the game is full of diving and disrespect?

Henry should've been suspended for 6 games for blatant cheating against Ireland. Only the threat of missing the tournament entirely will work as a deterrent. If the punishment isn't severe, what is there to stop players from cheating when the odds work out? That's why red cards for goal scoring opportunities came to be, because the punishment no longer was an effective deterrent.

This isn't the first incident he's been involved with and he knows what will happen if he lashes out. And I'm sick of people making excuses for him with this lame phrase "if you take this passion and fire from him, you take it out of his game, he won't be the same player."

what bullshi+. Scott Parker is passionate, and doesn't need to kick a player intentionally for fuel his passion. VDV celebrates goals like a demon possessed and gets booked for it, but he's not hurting anyone.

If you need to lash out at someone, whether you manage to actually hurt him or not, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG! He's a grown man, being spoonfed and ars3licked by the FA, a complete disgrace. I propose any player suspensions we get should be appealed to the FA, if they can do it, they are in no position to deny clubs that right.

19. Who Thanked this post

donatorDorsetSpursFan (09-12-2011)

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter