Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team GB

Legend !

Status
    All a little bit strange, especially as it is being held during a summer with the Euro's. The under 23 age restriction and the fact that the womens team is probably better (whether Rooney plays or not) makes this a very difficult prospect to consider, largely because its difficult to know what to make of it!

In terms of importance it probably ranks just below an ITV re-run of a "classic" Inspector Morse episode, and it is about as popular outside England as deep fried Mars bars. But, onwards and upwards, I am British and I love football so I will support this team, but to be fair it really can't be worth the hastle in an already over-crowded fixture list.

At least there will finally be a footy team that actually wants to play in the Olympic Stadium.

Anyway, what do you make of it?

I'm ***y and I know it

Status
    Well with all the policital nonsense that this team has already caused I personally couldn't give a toss.

Stuart Pearce as coach? Do me a favour, there are hundreds of UK based coaches who would do a better job.

Also if we are to pick 3x over 23's I am sure we can do better than Giggs & Beckham. Also anyone who thinks Shrek will play are deluded as this will coincide with the start of the league season.

The Scottish FA have ruled out any of their players competing. Well to be fair how many would have been selected?

I would be happy with Bale, Ramsey from Wales though and maybe Evans from NI but there are not many Scottish youngsters coming through really.

Status
    I'm actually very interested in the British Olympic team and Olympic football in general. With the British Olympic team the intrigue lies in the national makeup of the team, who will get picked. Personally I think Beckham should go, I see him play every week and I think he can handle that level. Same for Giggs, if he can play for United he can play for GB. I'm a bit confused with the Scotish and Welsh, they both made statements but it's unclear whether they have the ability to prevent their players from competing. Also I'm sure any punishment for participating in a legal team wouldn't be allowed by FIFA. Anyways, I think Adam should go from Scotland and there's your 3 over 23.

Here's a few potentials from the home nations. Not the greatest standard but it is the Olympic team.

Scotland
    ----------
    Charlie Adam (Liverpool)
    James Forrest (Celtic)
    Barry Bannan (Aston Villa - On loan with Leeds)

Northern Ireland
    -----------------
    Johnny Evans (Manchester United - On loan with Sunderland) *Not Sure if Eligible*
    Craig Cathcart (Blackpool)

Wales
    -----------
    Ryan Giggs (Manchester United
    Gareth Bale (Tottenham Hotspur)
    Jack Collison (West Ham United)
    Aaron Ramsey (Arsenal)
    Joe Allan (Swansea)

So basically Spain are still going to win, shocker.
    Last edited by BlueCrew LA; 22-10-2011 at 04:40 AM.

4. Who Thanked this post

dan-spur (22-10-2011)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboyyid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stuart Pearce as coach? Do me a favour, there are hundreds of UK based coaches who would do a better job.
    To that point @Fatboyyid I think Hodgson would have been a good choice. His time at Liverpool aside I think he's a great manager. I would trust him managing a group of players who lets face are far off the standard of the favorites IMO Spain?

6. Who Thanked this post

Fatboyyid (22-10-2011)

Status
    The Scottish FA are so untrusting of FIFA that they will not let any of their players play for the Olympic team in case they lose their seat on the top table of F.A.'s

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev John Ripsher View Post
    The Scottish FA are so untrusting of FIFA that they will not let any of their players play for the Olympic team in case they lose their seat on the top table of F.A.'s
    I understand this but I can't find any information that suggest Scotland has the ability to restrict its players from competing for a British Olympic team.

9. Who Thanked this post

Rev John Ripsher (21-10-2011)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCrew LA View Post
    I understand this but I can't find any information that suggest Scotland has the ability to restrict its players from competing for a British Olympic team.
    Yeah ... where is the legislation that says that they can do this ?

11. Who Thanked this post

BlueCrew LA (21-10-2011)

talking in the wind

Status
    its not really up to spurs thats the problem, i hear some scottish players are willing to play but they wouldnt be the top players so probily wouldnt get picked anyway

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by spursman18 View Post
    I really hope the Welsh FA don't put pressure on Bale or even Ramsey and Giggs not to go. Scotland is a different story, even though they have struggled Scotland can feasibly qualify for tournaments. Wales on an international level always will have the odds against them. So for a player like Bale this may be one of his only chances at an international tournament. For that reason even as a Spurs fan (injury risk) I would want him to compete. Reading some of his comments you can tell it really matters to him, so let him go...

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCrew LA View Post
    Barry Bannan (Aston Villa - On loan with Leeds)

Johnny Evans (Manchester United - On loan with Sunderland) *Not Sure if Eligible*
    Barry Bannan isn't on loan at Leeds, he's made 8 appearances for Villa this season and scored 1 goal. He's been getting rave reviews too, and he also played excellently for Scotland recently against Liechtenstein and Spain.

Same for Jonny Evans - he's made 10 appearances for Man United so far this season.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rossdfc View Post
    Barry Bannan isn't on loan at Leeds, he's made 8 appearances for Villa this season and scored 1 goal. He's been getting rave reviews too, and he also played excellently for Scotland recently against Liechtenstein and Spain.

Same for Jonny Evans - he's made 10 appearances for Man United so far this season.
    I copied those from another forum, which had a list of potential eligible players, it must have been written from last season when Bannan was on loan. I don't understand the Jonny Evans one that was years ago. Maybe he confused him with Corry Evans now of Hull but who was on loan last season. My bad I should have took the time to edit.
    Last edited by BlueCrew LA; 22-10-2011 at 04:50 AM.

I'm ***y and I know it

Status
    In all seriousness could Wales or Scotland actually take any form of punishment against their players who decide to play?

Imagine if Wales banned Ramsey, Bale etc and Scotland banned Adam, Bannan etc they would simply be shooting themselves in the foot as any faint hope they may harbour of qualification for a major tournament will be gone.

these are small those cows are far away

Status
    Well with all the policital nonsense that this team has already caused I personally couldn't give a toss.

Also if we are to pick 3x over 23's I am sure we can do better than Giggs & Beckham. Also anyone who thinks Shrek will play are deluded as this will coincide with the start of the league season.

The Scottish FA have ruled out any of their players competing. Well to be fair how many would have been selected?

I would be happy with Bale, Ramsey from Wales though and maybe Evans from NI but there are not many Scottish youngsters coming through really.
    Quite.......

Status
    In all seriousness could Wales or Scotland actually take any form of punishment against their players who decide to play?

Imagine if Wales banned Ramsey, Bale etc and Scotland banned Adam, Bannan etc they would simply be shooting themselves in the foot as any faint hope they may harbour of qualification for a major tournament will be gone.
    Surely not right....

What other field would you get penalized for participating in a legal group, in which you are eligible to participate? If Scotland/Wales are allowed to penalize their players from competing British Olympic team, why wouldn't they be allowed to penalize them for playing in for a club they don't like? They shouldn't have any control over something that's FIFA sanctioned. Reading statements they're taking this stance in the hopes of keeping their special status, but I'm not sure how acting like this will help them keep preferred terms with FIFA.

20. Who Thanked this post

Fatboyyid (22-10-2011)

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter