Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

THTV Donator

Status
    Talking about the England v Wales game reminded me that I am confused about the British Olympic Football Team.

Can I be English and British and a Citizen of the British Isles and European? Yes of course:.
    • As an Englishman I cheered when England beat Bulgaria last week.
    • As A Briton I cheered when Mo won his gold yesterday.
    • As a European I cheered when the European Ryder cup team demolished the USA last year.
    • As A British Islander (it's s Geographic term - not political) I cheered just now when Ireland held Russia to a draw.

Welsh teams want to play in the English Premiership and this year Swansea have earned a place in the EPL and I'm sort of OK with that - I think.

Now I may be wrong but I thought that the Welsh FA (and the Scottish and Northern Ireland FA as well I think) want nothing to do with a British Olympic football team? Why? I think it's a bit sad.

Maybe they've changed their mind. Maybe I've misunderstood. Is it sorted now? Maybe someone can explain?

talking in the wind

Status
    ireland isnt part of the british isles since 1974

I'm ***y and I know it

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by thfcire View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I assume he means Northern Ireland. But I believe the official term is Great Britian & Northern Ireland. To the OP the Scottish & welsh FA are a bit mardy because they believe FIFA will go back on a promise regarding a single team. It's all about FIFA voting and delegate points.

4. Who Thanked this post

thfcire (06-09-2011)

talking in the wind

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboyyid View Post
    I assume he means Northern Ireland. But I believe the official term is Great Britian & Northern Ireland. To the OP the Scottish & welsh FA are a bit mardy because they believe FIFA will go back on a promise regarding a single team. It's all about FIFA voting and delegate points.
    i thought that as well mate,till he mentioned our game against russia today lol

6. Who Thanked this post

Fatboyyid (06-09-2011)

shady!

Status
    none of our players would be good enough to get in the fooking team anyway ffs!

Legend !

Status
    I thought a similar thing about the national anthems. England have there's and wales had theirs, but if it was a gb team they would all sind the english national anthem. Wales scotland and northen island are all governed by westminster and they all follow the same monarch yet thay have different anthems??? It just doesn't make sense!

I'm ***y and I know it

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by willk9 View Post
    I thought a similar thing about the national anthems. England have there's and wales had theirs, but if it was a gb team they would all sind the english national anthem. Wales scotland and northen island are all governed by westminster and they all follow the same monarch yet thay have different anthems??? It just doesn't make sense!
    The reason is because there are Scottish ministers within a scotish parliament, then a welsh assembly and an northern Ireland assembly. They then petitioned the queen / parliament for permission to sing another anthem on the agreement that if a member of the royal family was invited they would have to sing god save the queen.

THTV Donator

Status
    What did they move it? Where is Ireland now? In the fcuking Caribbean? If you could be bothered to read my post I said fcuking 'Geographic Term' diddle I??? Here's what wikipedia says (so it must be true):

The British Isles are a group of islands off the northwest coast of continental Europe that include the islands of Great Britain and Ireland and over six thousand smaller isles.

OK, so in future I will not say that Ireland is in the British Isles (even though it fukcing is) I wlll cheer on Ireland as a neighbour - OK?

Edit: OK I'm a **** and it DID seem that I was suggesting that Ireland be part of a British team - Not what I meant at all! I meant that the British countries (not Ireland,OK?) could work together.
    Last edited by DorsetSpursFan; 07-09-2011 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Twattism

THTV Donator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by willk9 View Post
    Now, Mrs Dorset and myself always respect the anthems of other countries and stand for them in respectful silence with our traditional glass of sherry when we watch international soccer on the televison set.

However imagine Mrs Dorset's surprise yesterday when she raised her glass to what she thought would a rousing rendition of 'God Save The Queen' last night-

'Oh I say Mr Dorset' she spluttered - 'Is Wales no longer part of Britain?' - bless her she is of the female persuasion so does not have a good grasp of politics.

'Now, Now, Mrs Dorset' I said trying to calm her down. I would have suggested that she take one of her pills but we can no longer afford to pay for prescription medicines.

I suggested that she telephoned our son who might have been a doctor if we could have afforded to pay his university fees or our other son whose lifelong dream of working for the DVLA had been cruelly wrenched away when they moved to Swansea to provide jobs in Wales.

'Remember when our two lads were teenagers Mrs D? It's just like that. They still want our money to pay for their education and health and for us to provide them with government jobs - but they don't want anything to do with us or our stodgy old National Anthem'

So we both remained standing after the anthems and sang 'Land Of Hope And Glory' - that showed them!
    Last edited by DorsetSpursFan; 07-09-2011 at 08:12 AM. Reason: carp speeling

12. Who Thanked this post

Fatboyyid (07-09-2011)

talking in the wind

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DorsetSpursFan View Post
    What did they move it? Where is Ireland now? In the fcuking Caribbean? If you could be bothered to read my post I said fcuking 'Geographic Term' diddle I??? Here's what wikipedia says (so it must be true):

The British Isles are a group of islands off the northwest coast of continental Europe that include the islands of Great Britain and Ireland and over six thousand smaller isles.

OK, so in future I will not say that Ireland is in the British Isles (even though it fukcing is) I wlll cheer on Ireland as a neighbour - OK?

Edit: OK I'm a **** and it DID seem that I was suggesting that Ireland be part of a British team - Not what I meant at all! I meant that the British countries (not Ireland,OK?) could work together.
    if you had bothered your bollox to read the rest of your wiki link the fooking answer i gave you was in it you plum so lose the attitude and fooking read what you write before posting,or you just might end up looking like a tit like in this case

14. Who Thanked this post

thfcshady27 (07-09-2011)

THTV Donator

Status
    if you had bothered your bollox to read the rest of your wiki link the fooking answer i gave you was in it you plum so lose the attitude and fooking read what you write before posting,or you just might end up looking like a tit like in this case
    I say Mr thfcire, that is below the belt! Just because I have lost all the beautiful hair I had when I was a young man and have a huge boil on my head there is no need to remind that I look like a mammary gland! By the way If YOU had bothered.............. nah , it's getting boring now.

Legend !

Status
    I don't really care to be honest...

There'd only be one Scottish player in the team anyway (Charlie Adam/Darren Fletcher) and I wouldn't really support the team because.....it's the Olympics.

And @willk9, if it was the Olympics they wouldn't sing the "English" national anthem, they'd sing the BRITISH one!

Legend !

Status
    Don't mean to continue the argument but i thought 'Ireland' was not part of the UK but IS part of the British Isles. (I dont trust wiki)

Anyway as for the british team it wouldn't include ireland (ROI) but would Northern Ireland.

Am i right in saying that the team will be mostly consisted of U23's? thought i read that somewhere on BBC.

Bale, Ramsey, Adam, Fletcher, McGregor, would likely be a part of it from the countries outside England. As for my wee country Davis and Lafferty?

THTV Donator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by IH8GOONS View Post
    Don't mean to continue the argument but i thought 'Ireland' was not part of the UK but IS part of the British Isles. (I dont trust wiki)

Anyway as for the british team it wouldn't include ireland (ROI) but would Northern Ireland.

Am i right in saying that the team will be mostly consisted of U23's? thought i read that somewhere on BBC.

Bale, Ramsey, Adam, Fletcher, McGregor, would likely be a part of it from the countries outside England. As for my wee country Davis and Lafferty?
    I'm not saying nuffink more about Geography - I'm obviously a stupid ****! I do think it would good for Bale (fcuk Ramsey) and the others to play in a big tournament like this. Maybe Speedo will bring his good young team on and they will qualify for a World Cup or the Euros?

talking in the wind

Status
    no one in the rep of ireland call it the british isles,and havnt as long as im alive as its liable to get you a dig in the mouth,you will never hear a goverment member or anyone really ever using it

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter