Register To Comment
    Legend !

Status
    Oh dear...seems pretty nailed on that it did happen. More shame and corruption brought upon the beautiful game!

BBC Sport - Fifa probes unusual betting on Nigeria v Argentina game

Fifa says it is investigating unusual betting patterns relating to Nigeria's 4-1 win over Argentina in Abuja on Wednesday.

When the score was 4-0 in the friendly game, a large number of bets were placed on there being a fifth goal.

Only five minutes of injury time were shown, but eight had elapsed when Mauro Boselli scored a contentious penalty given against Joseph Yobo for handball.

Fifa said in a statement: "This match was one we had an active interest in."

Argentina's involvement in the Copa America tournament meant they sent a largely sub-strength side, captained by Manchester City defender Pablo Zabaleta.

Ike Uche opened the scoring after 10 minutes, with Victor Obinna adding a second from the penalty spot before Uche headed a third before half-time.

Eight minutes after the restart Emmanuel Emenike lobbed a fourth goal, and the fifth goal of the match, refereed by Ibrahim Chaibou of Niger, came with the final kick of the game.

The match took place the same day Fifa president Sepp Blatter was re-elected for a fourth term in office, pledging to improve the image of the game around the world.

2. These users say thanks for this post

donatorHeroes (04-06-2011),Hidden (07-06-2011)

Legend !

Status
    If they wanted 5 goals why didn't they just play Messi?

Status
    I watched this game, and the penalty was absolutely absurd. The Nigeria defender didn't come close to handling the ball. Goes to show my naivete that I didn't think about there being shenanigans.

5. Who Thanked this post

BlueCrew LA (04-06-2011)

THTV Donator

Status
    Dumb referee awarded 5 extra minutes, and continued to play on until the fifth goal, a dodgy penalty, in 98th minute.

Legend !

Status
    I didn't see the game but from the two above posts you guys are sure it was fixed then? These are two big footballing nations, maybe the second best in each of their continents? I didn't think match fixing went to the highest level like that?

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by stroud_jm View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I watched this game, and the penalty was absolutely absurd. The Nigeria defender didn't come close to handling the ball. Goes to show my naivete that I didn't think about there being shenanigans.
    I watched it too. Everyone, even the Argentinians were surprised a penalty was given. This news doesn't surprise me tbh.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanHotspur View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't see the game but from the two above posts you guys are sure it was fixed then? These are two big footballing nations, maybe the second best in each of their continents? I didn't think match fixing went to the highest level like that?
    Well, it certainly makes sense in retrospect. The Nigerians were just laughing when the penalty was given. I just chalked it up to dodgy refereeing, which after all, isn't exactly unknown in that part of the world (or anywhere else, for that matter.) But unfortunately, it seems to be a growing problem in football, and FIFA, which is about as useful as **** on a bull at this point, is powerless to do anything about it. I saw somewhere that some internationals played in the Middle East somewhere were suspected due to an inordinate amount of penalties and odd betting patterns.

Then, of course, there's this growing fiasco:
    Italian football rocked by fresh match-fixing scandal | Football | The Guardian

First Team Player

Status
    If they're investigating an extension of added time... they should be investigating every man united game!

Legend !

Status
    I don't like either team anyways but what what bull****.

Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo

Status
    The must have one hoooooooooooooooooooge carpet at FIFA HQ to sweep all this **** under it.

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter