Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World cup 2022

Legend !

Status
    As an Australian I'm really hoping our bid for the 2022 world cup will be successful. Apart from a few hiccups between the FFA (football federation Australia) and the AFL I think we have a great chance to host the world cup. It seems as though our main rival is the USA, so I was wondering how the American yids feel about your chances of winning the 2022 world cup.

Status
    Seeing how the USA pulled out of the 2018 race, that tells me they feel they have a great chance to host it. Add into all the new stadiums they've made for most of the teams here, it seems like they're doing all the right things.

All I want is England to host in 2018!!!!!!

Status
    Sorry USA! USA! USA!

It makes all the sense in the world IMO, if we know anything about FIFA it's that they love their money. The US is the most valuable market in the world as far as advertisers are concerned. If the World Cup was in the US advertisers and other financial partners that wouldn't normally jump on would. The World Cup typically doesn't rate well in the US compared to other athletic events but when it's domestic it does, see 1994 WC or 1996 Olympics still two of the highest grossing.

Another thing we have going for us is that when the World Cup is going on all our largest stadiums are completely unoccupied, and we just built a couple new billion dollar stadiums. It's mid season for the MLS and Baseball but they wouldn't be affected IMO.

That being said I wouldn't mind going to a World Cup in Australia, it would be a great experience. I've been to many countries but never Australia. I would almost have to go, I couldn't imagine trying to watch it here real time. It's midnight here when it's noon over there...

Legend !

Status
    Yeah I could definitely see it going to the US but the fact that you guy held it quite recently and Australia has never held the world cup. I think it would be huge for the growth of the game the same way hosting the 94 World cup was for you guys. Also I know that FIFA like to see the game grow and spread to new areas like they did with the last world cup in Africa and the japan Korea world cup in 2002.
    Anyway thanks for the feedback guys

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by davids01 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah I could definitely see it going to the US but the fact that you guy held it quite recently and Australia has never held the world cup. I think it would be huge for the growth of the game the same way hosting the 94 World cup was for you guys. Also I know that FIFA like to see the game grow and spread to new areas like they did with the last world cup in Africa and the japan Korea world cup in 2002.
    Anyway thanks for the feedback guys
    That's definitely you're biggest advantage over our bid.

First Team Player

Status
    Australia kinda have the sympathy vote lol. im looking forward to reviewing our bid on dec the 3 (or the 2nd?) and all the other bids. ive seen some of the technology gimics japan are offering in their bid- some of the stuff is incredible. i still think its between the US and Aust.

Welcome back Contrast!

Status
    If its held in the USA I will be gutted. If a nation DOESN'T deserve it twice in 20 years, its the US.

Saying that, having it in Australia will be crap for everyone trying to watch it in England . . . .

Legend !

Status
    Yeah the time zone is going against the Aussies, but I'm sure lots of ppl will make the journey over. Japan have no chance because they held it 8 yrs ago

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by contrast View Post
    If its held in the USA I will be gutted. If a nation DOESN'T deserve it twice in 20 years, its the US.

Saying that, having it in Australia will be crap for everyone trying to watch it in England . . . .
    Ok I'll bite, why would it be so terrible?
    Last edited by BlueCrew LA; 09-11-2010 at 08:30 AM.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCrew LA View Post
    12 hour time difference to Europe........

Having said that , I think that Australia has a huuuuge advantage over the USA .

Firstly , the Sydney Olympics were the very best in history , the huge crowds at even minority events was the catalyst for the wonderful atmosphere that pervaded throughout the two weeks . It showed the world that Aussies just LOVE their sport . I remember early Saturday morning seeing a full stadium for the first round of the 800 meter events ..........

Which takes us to the Atlanta Olympics .. widely regarded as the worst ever by a massive margin . Poor organisation and rank food , huge preferential treatment given to home athletes , resulting in visiting athletes not getting to their events in time by drivers who deliberately took them the long way round , or to the wrong stadium . TV coverage that was so USA biased that no one else got a look in . But the worst thing were the empty stadiums when no USA athlete was appearing , and the utter hush of the event taking place also when no USA athlete was in any event was tantamount to bigotry . This led to accusations that the USA did not like sport but only liked to win , and no great outside athletes were venerated , but mostly just overlooked .
    Atlanta was widely seen as how NOT to organise a major event .
    This takes me onto the Paralympic games which are always held 3 weeks after the full Olympics . There was NO preparation for it , rooms were not cleaned , event centres were just left as they were after the able-bodied Olympics were finished , and absolute joke of an event . The USA organisers were threatened with expulsion from the Olympic movement unless they treated the Paralympics with the respect it deserved .

Australia , you are still in with a great chance .

And breathe .....

The official report of the Atlanta Olympics is required reading for anyone wanting to organise a large event properly , and do it right , by not making the same mistakes .
    Last edited by Rev John Ripsher; 09-11-2010 at 10:50 AM.

11. Who Thanked this post

gomes4life (09-11-2010)

Player in Training

Status
    Its Australia that have the 12 hour time difference dont the US have 5-7 hours difference to us in UK?
    and I agree about the atlanta olympics, rather diabolical from them

Welcome back Contrast!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCrew LA View Post
    It's not even the first sport called Football . . . . .

And like I said, you had it in the last 20 years. Many other places haven't. I'd be gutted if Korea got it aswell.

First Team Player

Status
    To be fair. The USA hosted it in 1994, thats only 16 years ago and will be 28 years by 2022.

to think England hosted it in 1966, which was 44 years ago and IF we get 2018, would have been 52 years (over half a century)

There have been a few countries that has hosted the tournement though:

Italy: 1934, 1990 (56yrs)
    France: 1938, 1998 (60yrs)

Brazil: 1950, will have in 2014 too (64yrs)

West Germany: 1974, Germany: 2006 (If it counts, I dunno, but, 32 years)
    (1 country have had 2 world cups in a short space of time)-

Mexico: 1970, 1986 (16yrs!!)*

*This was ONLY because Colombia withdrew after being selected to host the World Cup, due to financial problems on November 5, 1982, less than four years before the event was to start. Mexico won the vote unanimously with USA and Canada missing out.

So I personally have to go for the Aussies to have a chance to host really.
    Last edited by Sunzino; 09-11-2010 at 04:07 PM.

Legend !

Status
    It'll be the US I reckon. The league's gaining in size and influence all the time, the stadiums and infrastructure are taking shape, the pull-out of 2018 speaks volumes about garnering friendly votes, they have the big names from all over the world to do the schmoozing and advertising.

And, personally speaking, I want to go to a WC in America.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev John Ripsher View Post
    12 hour time difference to Europe........

Having said that , I think that Australia has a huuuuge advantage over the USA .

Firstly , the Sydney Olympics were the very best in history , the huge crowds at even minority events was the catalyst for the wonderful atmosphere that pervaded throughout the two weeks . It showed the world that Aussies just LOVE their sport . I remember early Saturday morning seeing a full stadium for the first round of the 800 meter events ..........

Which takes us to the Atlanta Olympics .. widely regarded as the worst ever by a massive margin . Poor organisation and rank food , huge preferential treatment given to home athletes , resulting in visiting athletes not getting to their events in time by drivers who deliberately took them the long way round , or to the wrong stadium . TV coverage that was so USA biased that no one else got a look in . But the worst thing were the empty stadiums when no USA athlete was appearing , and the utter hush of the event taking place also when no USA athlete was in any event was tantamount to bigotry . This led to accusations that the USA did not like sport but only liked to win , and no great outside athletes were venerated , but mostly just overlooked .
    Atlanta was widely seen as how NOT to organise a major event .
    This takes me onto the Paralympic games which are always held 3 weeks after the full Olympics . There was NO preparation for it , rooms were not cleaned , event centres were just left as they were after the able-bodied Olympics were finished , and absolute joke of an event . The USA organisers were threatened with expulsion from the Olympic movement unless they treated the Paralympics with the respect it deserved .

Australia , you are still in with a great chance .

And breathe .....

The official report of the Atlanta Olympics is required reading for anyone wanting to organise a large event properly , and do it right , by not making the same mistakes .

That's a pretty bias view of the 1996 Olympics, probably more bias then your claim that our coverage was bias. And If I read your statement correctly you also believe that Atlanta games were poor because the attendances were poor. Might I remind you that during the games a BOMB exploded in Centennial park, injuring 111 and killing 2. For days afterward we were given reports about new bomb threats and you would have to be a fool if you didn't think that affected attendances. Even in the face of all that attendances were pretty decent and still was profitable, which was my point. The 1996 Olympics is a testament to American resiliency. Another thing that should be noted is where the event took place. Atlanta is the 33rd most populous city in our nation, which is located in one of the least populous regions of our country the South. If the World Cup came to the US it would be in our major Metropolises like those in the North East, Texas, Midwest and California.

I feel compelled to deconstruct you statement about the Atlanta Olympics being "widely regarded as the worst ever by a massive margin." This statement is so off base, I almost don't know where to begin. Let me run through a couple of Olympics, Do you by chance remember 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich? That's the Olympics were the Palestinian group Black September held hostage 11 Israeli Olympians which they later killed in a brutal fashion. This sir, with all due respect it is regarded as the WORST Olympics in history by a wide margin. But let's say you wanted to talk about the worst Olympics from a financial and planning standpoint, it would also be incorrect to say that the 1996 Olympics was the worst and it ain't even close. That title would go to the 1976 Summer Olympics in Montreal, Canada which was a financial disaster, highlighted by their billion dollar stadium. Some of the debts from the 1976 games are still being paid off to this DAY and the stadium was finally paid off in 2006 30 years after the games. So on those two games alone I believe we can put to bed the myth of the 1996 Olympics being "widely regarded as the worst ever by a massive margin."

Also I would like to bring this back to your statement about bias. First of all the US won 100+ medals, so on that alone it would seem like the media was focusing on the US because WE WERE WINNING. To suggest that the Atlanta games set some sort of standard in bias in a historical perspective is comical and it eventually leads me back to why events in the US are great. Cast your mind back to the 1980 Olympics in Moscow, which multiple nations boycotted due to the actions of the commies in Afghanistan. Besides the controversy of multiple countries not attending it has to go down as the most bias Olympics maybe since the 1936 Olympics in Nazi Germany, the whole thing was one big communist propaganda tool. All throughout the games the Soviets took unnecessary shots at the Americans and we weren't even there. The disaster of the 1980 Olympics led to the financial and cultural success of the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles. Which to this day is referenced as a template to how to run an Olympics, from the events themselves and from an advertising and television contract perspective.

I think that should be an adequate response to your statements about the 1996 Olympics.

Now that we have that out of the way, I believe I have to restate the topic "so I was wondering how the American yids feel about your chances of winning the 2022 world cup". So under those guidelines you have to ask yourself "What brings a event, like the World Cup or the Olympics to a country". Certainly new horizons factor in, the draw that Australia has of being a continent that has never hosted a World Cup factors in hugely to this decision. As always though with any red-blooded human being, money is always a factor. As I stated in my previous post the United States is the largest market in the world, as far as business is concerned. A World Cup in America would be hugely profitable by anyone's standards, not just to FIFA but FIFA's partners. Also, having the World Cup in decent time zones for Americans would also be beneficial because that typically is the biggest drag on American ratings.

All that being said let me restate my position. I would love it if the World Cup would came to America but being a fan of Football I can see the value in having it in Australia. So either way I would be happy to attend the matches, maybe hang out with some Australian Yids.

Sorry for the response taking so long I'm at work, and I'm trying to watch the match as well.
    Last edited by BlueCrew LA; 09-11-2010 at 11:45 PM.

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter