Register To Comment
    First Team Player

Status
    Dont know if anyone noticed or posted something about this, but the glorified NIKE WC commercial seems to have brought nothing but bad luck in the WC to the players that were in it.

You have Ribery and Cannavaro who's teams failed miserably.

You have Drogba who got injured just before the start and even though he played in the end and played solidly, there is always the question that maybe they would went through if he was 100% fit.(and you could consider the 7-0 Portugal win against Korea bad luck )

You have Ronaldo and Rooney who made it to the 1/8 finals but they individually played on a much lover level then expected from them, and will meet big critisism back in their countries (Rooney may well end up like in the commercial ).

And ofc you have Ronaldinho who wasnt even selected for his WC squad.

The only guys that werent affected by the "curse" are the Spain players, but they were there in a minor role. All of the on field major players from the commercial had an awful WC one way or the other.

I think players will think twice in the future when asked to make a commercial for NIKE ....oh wait they get a gargantuan check for the commercial..forget it..they will do it no matter the bad luck

Status
    Check out the Pringoals one with Crouchy !

Legend !

Status
    yeah and Walcott didnt get selected either. Its funny how such a big player as Fabregas only gets a minor role in both the PrinGOALL and nike advert.

THTV Donator

Status
    I would say that the commercials were a curse - the commercials were just co-incidental (that appearance in them = knock-out of World Cup)

First Team Player

Status
    the netherlands are the only ones, who are in this commercial, who are not going home so far.

THTV Donator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by German Hotspur Cantona View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    the netherlands are the only ones, who are in this commercial, who are not going home so far.
    They next play Brazil

Status
    Here's John Ashdown's breakdown on the "curse" in the Guardian:

World Cup special: part six ? Is the Nike TV advert cursed? | The Knowledge | Football | guardian.co.uk

I would add that Roger Federer, depicted playing table tennis with Rooney, crashed out of Wimbledon yesterday. Spooky, lol.

8. Who Thanked this post

EssexYiddo (01-07-2010)

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by stroud_jm View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here's John Ashdown's breakdown on the "curse" in the Guardian:

World Cup special: part six ? Is the Nike TV advert cursed? | The Knowledge | Football | guardian.co.uk

I would add that Roger Federer, depicted playing table tennis with Rooney, crashed out of Wimbledon yesterday. Spooky, lol.

Haha that article was a good read, didnt think about the 'Gillette 3' as well. Although once Beckham starred in that advert his career seemed to go downhill.

Maybe these players are too busy thinking about their next big sponsorship deal rather than concentrating on their game?

Status
    There is also the curse of the Gillette three ...... Henry & Woods are now villified as villains , and well , Federer is still awaiting his slide admittedly .

First Team Player

Status
    Just wanted to post the Federer thing but you guys beat me to it

Legend !

Status
    in usa there is a new version of this commercial with robinho the smelly

Legend !

Status
    I did a parody for that here,with some mistakes as I rushed it in a couple of hours

Nike "Write The FAILURE" Parody

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter