Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status
    Who can name me a BIG footballing nation who has an outsider running their national side?

Drawing blanks at the moment, and no Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Ghana are not big footballing nations (not a go at african football, those are the only ones i can think of who have foreign coaches)

Legend !

Status
    lars lagerback - nigeria
    he destroyed swedish football and now he is destroying nigeria

Status
    Sorry but nigeria isnt a big footballing nation to me

Germany, France, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Spain

ALL MANAGED BY A PERSON FROM THE COUNTRY THEY'RE COACHING.

cant forget Ireland in the list having another italian.

Status
    You would have to say how you define a big footballing nation before that question question could be answered. If being a big football nation means having a high profile domestic league whose quality is based in large part on foreign players purchased with foreign money, I can't think of one.

Maybe England need an English manager, but IMHO they also need a goalkeeper, two competent and healthy center-halves, a midfield playmaker, a right back who can defend, a career-ending injury to Emile Heskey, etc. And of course a linesman who can see when a fookin ball is a mile over the line.

5. Who Thanked this post

Berbatov (28-06-2010)

First Team Player

Status
    I also believe England needs fast defenders and good goalkeeper much more than English manager. But it would help.

As for the question - the answer is NO, but for the winners - Greece won Euro 2004 with a foreign manager, but they are in no means BIG football nation...

Status
    A big footballing nation is one that has won the world cup, developed the best players over the last 50 years, and have a good home league that people strive to play in.

Perhaps IF they had the right manager those positions wouldnt have to be questioned because they would have been picked properly BEFORE the tournament had started.

Status
    All im saying is that if you look at countries like Brazil, Germany, Argentina, and Spain they've mostly ALWAYS had a manager who is from that country. Why England have continued to go down this road is absolute ****e.

Status
    fair point, I think England need a good English manager, and I've posted on this forum many times that there are a multitude of Englishmen in the premier league that could do the job much better than Capello.

My point is that England performed poorly in this World Cup primarily because their players weren't very good in that environment, or at least the players that were supposed to be the nucleus of the side. Honestly, who on the England starting 11 would start for Brazil? Or Spain? Maybe one or two players.

I agree with the selection point, but it seems to me that of the nations you have designated as big footballing countries, besides maybe Mexico, England have the shallowest talent pool by some distance. This is not a dig at England, I've followed them since I was a kid and was very very disappointed today.

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by spursman18 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All im saying is that if you look at countries like Brazil, Germany, Argentina, and Spain they've mostly ALWAYS had a manager who is from that country. Why England have continued to go down this road is absolute ****e.

its also because the FA doesnt listen to the everyday people, while places like South America, the fans have alot of control over the board, not the other way around.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by T.K. Massive View Post
    its also because the FA doesnt listen to the everyday people, while places like South America, the fans have alot of control over the board, not the other way around.
    yeah, especially in Argentina. At the club level, the barra bravas basically run some of the teams, for better or for worse.

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by stroud_jm View Post
    yeah, especially in Argentina. At the club level, the barra bravas basically run some of the teams, for better or for worse.

for better. Football is still `a people sport` in South America, while its all about business in England.

I love the way the Barra Brava have control over the club; It would be like Daniel Levy setting aside the Park Lane for the Yid Army, because the Yid Army are the heart beat of the lane.

but noooooooooooooo that tory coont maggie thatcher had to change it all...

Status
    for better. Football is still `a people sport` in South America, while its all about business in England.

I love the way the Barra Brava have control over the club; It would be like Daniel Levy setting aside the Park Lane for the Yid Army, because the Yid Army are the heart beat of the lane.

but noooooooooooooo that tory coont maggie thatcher had to change it all...
    the dark side of that is the astonishing levels of corruption, violence and ties to organized crime, especially the drug trade, among the barra brava, whose leaders gain political clout through their ability to mobilze large groups of fans. But it does have a grassroots element that is really appealing.

Legend !

Status
    the dark side of that is the astonishing levels of corruption, violence and ties to organized crime, especially the drug trade, among the barra brava, whose leaders gain political clout through their ability to mobilze large groups of fans. But it does have a grassroots element that is really appealing.

then, as much as it hurts to say, English football should take an example if German football.

Correct me if Im wrong, but I think Broussia DOrtmund and Schalke are both 50/50 between the club and the city, with fans who have a stake in the company allowed to elect the board? I know Bayern is the other way around though, the board runs everything.

Status
    then, as much as it hurts to say, English football should take an example if German football.

Correct me if Im wrong, but I think Broussia DOrtmund and Schalke are both 50/50 between the club and the city, with fans who have a stake in the company allowed to elect the board? I know Bayern is the other way around though, the board runs everything.
    I know they have the 51/49 rule, where at least 51 percent ownership is with the club members. and the supporters groups always have delegates on the boards. Not perfect, and certainly bigwigs can horn in on the club's interests, but there's always a check on them. It has something to do with the origins of the clubs as private associations.

There was an interesting article in one of the papers online about this not long ago, I believe it might have been after the response to the Enke suicide. Don't remember where I saw it.

Legend !

Status
    I know they have the 51/49 rule, where at least 51 percent ownership is with the club members. and the supporters groups always have delegates on the boards. Not perfect, and certainly bigwigs can horn in on the club's interests, but there's always a check on them. It has something to do with the origins of the clubs as private associations.

There was an interesting article in one of the papers online about this not long ago, I believe it might have been after the response to the Enke suicide. Don't remember where I saw it.

thats also probably one of the reasons why Premier League clubs have so much debt;

Again, correct me if I`m wrong, but had the Red Knights consortium succed with their bid for Man Utd, they would have run the club on a 51/49 basis? It seems to make sense....

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter