Register To Comment
    Legend !

Status
    Okay so I know this is a silly American talking here and I may not have the fullest of insight into soccer (football), however here are a couple things that I would like to see changed to the game that I believe would help the game out. Obviously this is all my opinion and some of it has stated before however I feel that in the offseason these changes can be made and with the World Cup coming up these changes can help the game in of itself.

1st, bring in the foam that is used in the Argentine league to determine the 10 yard rule. All you would need is a small canister that easily fit in your hand that you can spray on the ground on every free kick. That way it’s straight up if someone crosses this line before the kick has occurred. The foam typically is gone one minute later and obviously as players run over it; it will just disappear that much quicker.

2nd, speaking of free kicks I personally would like all offside canceled during dead periods. There already is no offside on throw-ins why not have this applied to free kicks as well. During normal run of play I understand and enjoy the rule of offside however I feel that within dead ball period’s offside should be taken out of play. This in my mind plays out to where the run of play will create more offensive chances. Not goals or even shots just chances to where something could happen which would help with the build-up of the game. How many times on a free kick do you see the ball just kicked to the keeper because the defense had such a high line that the offense couldn’t even get close to the ball? This will help eliminate those “useless kicks”.

3rd, this has been brought up by me before however I would like to see this go through. If a trainer/physcio has to come out on the pitch then that player must remain out of the run of play for at least 5 minutes once they check in with the 4th official. I know there is some gamesmanship in regards to running out the clock and whatnot however if soccer (football) is supposed to be such a fluid game and there is such a gentleman’s agreement with stopping play if someone is “injured” then why do the players abuse this? If someone is legitimately injured then yes play should be stopped. However if someone is rubbing their ankles like they are getting ready to start a fire only to “get helped off and then get back on the field 10 seconds later” this is just disrespect to the other players and most importantly the fans. I am from the school of thought that unless you’re completely injured then get up and play on.

So what do ya’ll think about these proposed changes and can any/will any ever happen in the game?

Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo

Status
    1. Foam = Lol, not a chance. LMFAO!!!

2. No offsides from deadballs = It would cause havoc and as you say may improve the amount of attacks but it stops the amount of guile and skill it takes to beat that offside trap. If you didnt have it for free kicks you would have to drop it for goal kicks too and then you could just have players hanging in the oppositions goal area chalenging the keeper and nodding it into the goal. That is **** football.

3. 5 min injury = I like the idea of this but you are then penalising a side for getting a injuryor a knock. It has merrit but not in the guise you have applied.

Good post.

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by P UNIT 1980 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1. Foam = Lol, not a chance. LMFAO!!!

2. No offsides from deadballs = It would cause havoc and as you say may improve the amount of attacks but it stops the amount of guile and skill it takes to beat that offside trap. If you didnt have it for free kicks you would have to drop it for goal kicks too and then you could just have players hanging in the oppositions goal area chalenging the keeper and nodding it into the goal. That is **** football.

3. 5 min injury = I like the idea of this but you are then penalising a side for getting a injuryor a knock. It has merrit but not in the guise you have applied.

Good post.
    how many goal kicks do you see reaching the other box on the fly? once it touches someone then its a live ball again and therefore offisides apply.

However haven't you seen the arginetine league where the ref just sprays a line like 3 people wide where they can stand and then just runs off to where ref's normally stand? its small, quick and the foam is gone very quickly so why wouldn't it work? i think it was Drogba stating that if players actually were 10 yards away and didn't creep up we would see more free kick goals.

you don't have to have it at 5 minutes but i feel a team should be penalized if a person is just laying there to eat up clock. How many times would you just get up if you knew that your "delay tactic" forced you to stay off the field for 5 minutes? none, you would get up and make your way to the sideline if you thought you didn't have to stay off for atleast 5 minutes as well though eh?

glad you think that this is a good post and not full of complete rubbish though.
    Last edited by steelktm; 16-05-2010 at 05:25 PM.

Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo

Status
    Goal kicks can and kicks by the keeper from open play can also. Remember Robbo?

It would be crap IMO. I think offsides make it more of an art and a challenge.

Not seen the foam mate you got a vid?

Legend !

Status
    haha, can't search for it at work but if i remember when i get home i will get one up for ya.

Legend !

Status
    Soccer-Free kick spray has Blatter's support, says inventor | Reuters

here is something for ya Unit! best i can find while at work.

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by steelktm View Post
    Soccer-Free kick spray has Blatter's support, says inventor | Reuters

here is something for ya Unit! best i can find while at work.
    Sorry, if Blatter supports it, it's got to be a cack idea!

Legend !

Status
    During the forthcoming WC, you will see so many incidents like time wasting and fake injuries because these bad habits and similar types of gamesmanship is rife throughout the World now unfortunately.
    Interesting to know how different FA"s deal with these kind of problems, but as for solutions Im not sure yours can work, though I dont have an alternative yet.

Legend !

Status
    Interesting post, sir.

1. No reason why this can't be done (although wall creeps are far less common than they used to be through the use of yellow cards.

2. Can't be done. For direct free kicks the team taking the kick could send two players to stand right in front of the keeper or even one either side to impede movement.

3. That'll make it worth the while with 5 mins to go for the winning team to stamp on the foot of the opposition player most likely to score, wouldn't it? I'd prefer to see the Aussie Rules approach of the physio coming on while the play goes on, frankly. The ref can still stop the game if he feels it necessary/fair, but otherwise it's game on.

The only rule I'd like to see changed is a return to no more than three outfield players on the bench and one (maybe two) outfield subs allowed for the game. Rich clubs being able to field virtually two top class teams every game just makes the whole thing even more unfair (and allows them to "stockpile" players on the bench/reserves who'd normally sign for other teams).

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rudi View Post
    Interesting post, sir.

1. No reason why this can't be done (although wall creeps are far less common than they used to be through the use of yellow cards.

2. Can't be done. For direct free kicks the team taking the kick could send two players to stand right in front of the keeper or even one either side to impede movement.

3. That'll make it worth the while with 5 mins to go for the winning team to stamp on the foot of the opposition player most likely to score, wouldn't it? I'd prefer to see the Aussie Rules approach of the physio coming on while the play goes on, frankly. The ref can still stop the game if he feels it necessary/fair, but otherwise it's game on.

The only rule I'd like to see changed is a return to no more than three outfield players on the bench and one (maybe two) outfield subs allowed for the game. Rich clubs being able to field virtually two top class teams every game just makes the whole thing even more unfair (and allows them to "stockpile" players on the bench/reserves who'd normally sign for other teams).
    Good counter points, however here is my "push back"

2: you mean how on corners teams can do that tactic anyway yet don't? thats because the keepers are so well protected that it will just be a free kick the other say. after all keepers are so protected its why our tying goal didn't count was because James was "interfered" with. although we all know that was a good goal.

3: if someone stomps on the leg that is usually caught by one of the officals anyway and justice is typically serviced with a yellow or direct red card. so in that situation playing field is even anyways. but i'm saying is that if the player goes off the field for treatment on his own and doesn't "stop the game" then he doesn't have to wait for the 5 minutes or so.

i know there are things about the game that upset everyone these happen to be my 3 biggest and wanted to voice so i know there could be some good points and counter points made and whatnot.

Welcome back Contrast!

Status
    Except from your last point, the rest were just LOL.

It would be great if they could rule something similar to what you mentioned about the 5min out of play thing. But you would have to come up with a way that a genuinley injured person that has taken a kick to the ankle which is freaking painfull and hard to run on straight away, or someone that is winded can return to play as soon as they recover.

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by steelktm View Post
    Good counter points, however here is my "push back"

2: you mean how on corners teams can do that tactic anyway yet don't? thats because the keepers are so well protected that it will just be a free kick the other say. after all keepers are so protected its why our tying goal didn't count was because James was "interfered" with. although we all know that was a good goal.
    Big difference though. For corners the balls being sent in allowing time to move, therefore allowing obstruction to be called (ie you're in the way of the route to the ball). For a free kick, if the ball's aimed at you, just by you or above you there's no reason why you should move but you're still in the way; add to that the fact that there's simply no time to react. It's a completely different circumstance.

3: if someone stomps on the leg that is usually caught by one of the officals anyway and justice is typically serviced with a yellow or direct red card. so in that situation playing field is even anyways. but i'm saying is that if the player goes off the field for treatment on his own and doesn't "stop the game" then he doesn't have to wait for the 5 minutes or so.
    Ah, but you're only risking a red (so you'd use, say, the least adept at defending to crock their striker). The WORST that could happen is you lose a player and the opposition also loses theirs (and you'd target their best chance of scoring) for the rest of the game. It's a fouler's charter innit? Plenty of kicks to the leg wil have you in IMMENSE pain for thitry seconds or so but then allow you to carry on; it doesn't take much to deliberately hurt someone enough to have them sent off the pitch for your five minutes.

Theoretically, you could reduce the opposition to just the keeper through judicious follow-throughs after the 84th minute!

Legend !

Status
    Apols for spelling; I'm pissed as a urinal.

Legend !

Status
    well the 5 minutes though would be running as the play is stopped during that time. You will be surpised how easy it is to get up and move to a sideline if you know that you can get back in and play under 5 minutes. beside you can't sub people on and off freely anyways and someone that gets a red card also has the games after that they are gone from. and i imagine that if this is actually happening (as you stated which i believe is worse case issue) then obviously the club will face some sort of anger issue from the FA.

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter