Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Legend !

Status
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/14773846.stm

Tottenham's Rafael van der Vaart has said he is annoyed at being left out of the club's Europa League squad.

The 28-year-old hobbled off during Spurs' 5-1 defeat to Manchester City and had originally expected to be out for six weeks with a hamstring injury.

But, despite now expecting to be fit for the Liverpool match next week, the omission means the playmaker will miss Spurs' six Europa group matches.

"Spurs could at least have consulted me," he told his official website.

In a section headlined "annoying" on his website, the Dutch international said: "I still think it's a peculiar situation.

"Anyway, it's up to the point of no return. I will be focusing on the game against Liverpool.

"I'm pretty convinced I will be fit by then."

The former Real Madrid player missed Holland's Euro 2012 qualifiers and was also sidelined as Harry Redknapp's team secured their first win of the season against Wolves on Saturday.

Redknapp intends to blood a number of youngsters such as Harry Kane, Tom Carroll and Jake Livermore in the Europa league to keep his squad fresh for a top four push in the Premier League.

Spurs kick off their Europa League campaign against PAOK Salonika in Greece on Thursday.

If they get through the group stages, they will be allowed to add three new names to their squad.
    Last edited by rossdfc; 13-09-2011 at 08:09 AM.

Legend !

Status
    VDV said all last year he wanted to play in Europe so it seems a little harsh to drop him, saying that we need him fit for the League.

But I think the issue here is how our medical team have got something so wrong yet again, was that a sly dig at them in last line In the whole interview.
    "I'm pretty convinced I will be fit by then thanks to Dick van Toorn."

Legend !

Status
    that's a bit odd that they haven't named him in the squad for any of the group stages... but then again if they did name him in it and we start performing less we will be forced to play him in this competition to do well... whereas now he isn't allowed to play, but don't worry i'm confident in our youth's ability to get through the group stages and we will see him in the latter parts of the competition.

Legend !

Status
    ... sigh *facepalm*

Legend !

Status
    Seems they are putting words in his mouth a bit there. But seriously VDV needs to get fit. Propper fit before he starts demanding games.

First Team Player

Status
    has the squad been announced yet ?? as whose in and whose out ??

First Team Player

Status
    UEFA Europa League - Tottenham ? UEFA.com

is this all the players we can use for the tournament ??

First Team Player

Status
    seems to be the players without * make up the main 25 main squad for the tournament, and the ones with the * are b players, does that mean like reserve players if someone gets injured ??

I am the Drei of all the Icons

Status
    Not really bothered that he isn't included tbh...

And once again, after reading some of the articles amongst various websites, I CANNOT help but feel it's been taken out of context....

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Iconic Drei View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not really bothered that he isn't included tbh...

And once again, after reading some of the articles amongst various websites, I CANNOT help but feel it's been taken out of context....
    Maybe he shouldn't have said anything to begin with.

Legend !

Status
    Probably just another overblown thing by the papers. But we do need him for the league first and foremost. All other competitions are secondary.

First Team Player

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PonchoTHFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    seems to be the players without * make up the main 25 main squad for the tournament, and the ones with the * are b players, does that mean like reserve players if someone gets injured ??
    I think those with asterisks are U21.. Rose and Livermore are 21 which is why they do not have them. Meaning they do not have to be registered..

First Team Player

Status
    We have qualified for the champions league once...i still don't understand why we don't take Europa league seriously. Not long ago, we would have been proud to be in euroupe and it's obvious how much certain players like van der vaart rate Europe even the so called "minor" European competitions. This just highlights yet another failure in communication in the backrooms of Tottenham, we need to sort this out or at least stop players moaning about it in public, as it doesn't look good.

14. Who Thanked this post

Siberian Dreamer (15-09-2011)

Legend !

Status
    Thing i dont understand is that CDV is virtually the only player left out? I mean Pienaar is more injured and less influential than vdv ffs!!! I dont know how to read this situation!!!! I cant help but think harry is making waves for the sake of it as much as i dont want to believe it. I mean honestly, vdv our top scorer last year and he's left out, i know he cant play EVERY game but for him not to be even in the squad... that aint right!!!! Harry's upto something. He wants out!!!! Im cheesed now big time.

THTV Donator

Status
    anyone got the squad as the one above even as kenae in it!

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter