Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    these are small those cows are far away

Status
    Now don't get me wrong, I'm a great fan of Bale - he is certainly our greatest asset financially. But if there is one thing that gets on my ****, it's diving.

What he did last night didn't impress me. More so, because a legit penalty (Modric) wasn't given possibly because of this. Eventually, it comes back to bite you on the bum.

Legend !

Status
    i didn't think bale dived. there was contact and he did go down however my thing is that if this happened at halfway line i feel the ref would have given a free kick. however in the box you apparently expect him to stay up on that kind of contact. frustrating as the Modric and Pav calls didn't go our way either.

Player in Training

Status
    he deserved yellow card

Status
    Penalty would've been harsh, but within his rights to go down imo.

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by stroud_jm View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Penalty would've been harsh, but within his rights to go down imo.
    totally agree, not all contact in the box results in a penalty. I think happening right at the start of the game as well would have made it a bit easier for the ref to not call it.

Legend !

Status
    Bale's was a bit embarrassing but I think Modric and Pav had decent shouts.

Legend !

Status
    if they had been in the same position, it would have been 10 times worse, some times we are to english, we see diving, or seeking to gain an advantage as a crime, on the continent its part of the game,

8. Who Thanked this post

MagnaThor (15-04-2011)

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by harrys lovechild View Post
    if they had been in the same position, it would have been 10 times worse, some times we are to english, we see diving, or seeking to gain an advantage as a crime, on the continent its part of the game,
    It is a crime, that's why it is punishable by a yellow card.

Legend !

Status
    so is fouling, swearing, back chatting the ref, pushing, inciting the crowd, deliberate handball, but all of these are accepted by us as part of the game, so why do we make such a big issue of diving, the majority of the time all of these go un punished, we see it time and time again, the man who is constantly heralded as the up holder of traditions of good football , arsen wenger, has produced a team who are top of the sendings off league and consistantly top the fould league any weekend, because he realises its part of the make up of the game, ( dont get me wrong , i detest him but hes right,) there are many ways to win a game of football , and when its as important as last night was, why waste an oppertunity to give your team an advantage, football is not the corinthian game it used to be, be it better or worse its part of the game, and with so much money at stake teams will continue to do all of the above, its up to the referees to stamp it out, because players will allways try to beat the system, and consistantly do,

Legend !

Status
    I'm against every one of those things you mention and think they should all be punished.

I see your point, if everyone else is doing it we are at a disadvantage by not doing it but I still don't like it and would rather see us try to play within the rules of the game.

Saying that, I'm the sort of person who won't cheat at golf when I'm out on my own!

Edit: Just read the last sentence about it being up to refs to sort it out and I couldn't agree more. I would love to see rugby refs in the Premier League just for one weekend, the number of cards would be insane!

12. Who Thanked this post

harrys lovechild (14-04-2011)

Status
    I have often heard commentators defend the lightest of touches as justification for allowing a penalty .

"In the slo-mo replay , you can just make out that the defenders little finger brushied the forwards shirt..... penalty!"

Legend !

Status
    it often depends on what shirt you wear, a mank fan and a brummie could watch the same incident and come up with opposite views on the same thing, its got to be the same for refs, if you watch footage of the 1970 world cup, brazil vs england you will hear brian moore calling pele the biggest diver he ever has ever seen, a lot of the time your standing in the fixture can have a big influance on how you see the contact, i dont like it , but if the ref had awarded 4 pens for us last night he would have been the toast of north london, regadless of the wrongs or rights or how much contact there actully was , a prime example was suarez handball in the world cup vs ghana , last seconds,stopped a certain goal, deliberate, and the pen was missed, who won out of that, the Perpetrators, so how can that be fair, but thats football, love it or hate it its here top stay,

Legend !

Status
    bale may have gone down easily, but in a game like that where we are 4-0 what are they ment to do??? i can speak from experience as i am a referee, if a player does not go down you will not give a foul... simple as!

van der vaart is partial to the odd dive hear and there and that gets on my nerves, because it seems like he is always moaning to the ref and not getting on with the game..

these are small those cows are far away

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by willk9 View Post
    bale may have gone down easily, but in a game like that where we are 4-0 what are they ment to do??? i can speak from experience as i am a referee, if a player does not go down you will not give a foul... simple as!

van der vaart is partial to the odd dive hear and there and that gets on my nerves, because it seems like he is always moaning to the ref and not getting on with the game..
    Yes, but as I said in my original post it probably gave the ref less incentive to give Modric a penalty, which to me was cast iron.

First Team Player

Status
    Im not sure why they were trying to get penalties. We would've just missed it anyway.

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter