Register To Comment
    Legend !

Status
    So as I've said before, I'm still a relative newbie to European football. This is my 2nd year of following it and I've picked up a lot but there's still a lot for me to learn. One thing that has caught my eye this year is that Schalke - now a final 8 in the CL - is also in a relegation battle in the Bundesliga (now they look like they'll be safe but for awhile it was sketchy). Meanwhile, also in the Bundesliga, Werder is out of the CL and also in serious danger of relegation.

This made me wonder: Has a team ever competed in the CL (or European Cup) in the same year that they were relegated in their domestic league. If so, what's the furthest a team has advanced in Europe during a season that ended with domestic relegation? I know Pompey managed the FA Cup final last year when relegated, but has anyone managed the continental equivalent? (Perhaps we just need to send Avram Grant to an overachieving German, Spanish, or Italian club that qualifies for the CL and make it happen... )

Legend !

Status
    In 2002/03 Celta Vigo finished 4th in Spain and qualified for the Champions League, in 2003/04 Celta Vigo made it to the last 16 of the Champions League but finished 19th in Spain and were relegated.

hey you guys

Status
    FC Porto were not exactly the favourites to win when Mourinho was there, but he did it.

Legend !

Status
    My dad was telling me about Ipswich getting relegated but winning the FA Cup. The next season they played in the, now known as, Europa League. Don't know how well they did though.

First Team Player

Status
    Didnt Millwall play in the Uefa Cup after losing the FA Cup Final to Man Utd ?

THTV Donator

Status
    would it be possible to win the CL, get relegated, and then compete in the CL from the championship the next season?
    Last edited by Modric, level 25 magician; 15-03-2011 at 04:58 AM.

First Team Player

Status
    yeah, champions have to defend their title.

First Team Player

Status
    They would and the lowest ranked team, to have a champions league qualification spot, in the domestic league of the champions would be relegated to the Europa League. So if we win the CL and don't finish in the top 4 we still qualify for next years tournament. To bites at the cherry, got to love that!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by perstrame View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My dad was telling me about Ipswich getting relegated but winning the FA Cup. The next season they played in the, now known as, Europa League. Don't know how well they did though.
    In 1980/81 season Ipswich Town WON the European Cup Winner's Cup managed by the late great Sir Bobby Robson

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter