Register To Comment
Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast

Status
    I thought we could do with a new thread for this game.

This is a massive game for us as we all know, one that I'm hoping we dont have a "deer in the headlights" type start like we did against Inter. We arent walking into a stadium/atmosphere that we havent seen before, only thing that has changed is the team were playing and hopefully Harry will have the lads ready for this one. I think there are two major battles to be won on Tuesday. First one, is our CBs with their front men and the second is breaking up their midfield play with our CM pairing. We are certainly going to be missing some our injured players, but so are they so if we truly come out from the start and play like we can then I think we can get a result against them. I also think their keeper is a weak link and we have to test him early and often.

Injuries- Bale, Kaboul, King are all out, Jenas is suspended......havent heard the final word for Modric/VDV but I think both of them will play in this. VDV IMO will start and Modric will come off the bench, but well have to wait and see what happens in the next day or two as far as they go.

The back 4 stays the same as Sunderland, I think both Gallas and Daws are the key for us shutting down Ibra and either Charlie or BAE will have to deal with either Robinho or Pato. The midfield is where this game will either be won or lost for us and I'd assume Harry would start Palacios but I'd rather see Sandro. It'll be a big occasion for either but I want to see Sandro get the start, with Jenas suspended I think Harry will either start Modric or play Pienaar next to our DM. Lennon and Niko down the wings and I really hope Lennon takes advantage of their RB I think a lot of our play will go through him, (hopefully our coaching staff have noted that between their RB and LB the latter is the weak link in their back 4). Rafa playing in behind Crouchie who I also think Harry will start over JD and Pav.

Here's my XI to start, I think Harry will play Modric because Jenas is suspended for this so I really cant see him playing Sandro/Palacios only other CM options we have are Pienaar/Niko to play central which one would be playing CM and the other playing on the wing

---------------Gomes-----------------

Charlie---Daws----Gallas----BAE

Lennon---Sandro---Modric---Kranjcar

-----------------VDV------------------

----------------Crouch----------------

Subs: Cudicini, Hutton, Bassong, Palacios, Pienaar, Defoe, Pav
    Last edited by spursman18; 13-02-2011 at 09:14 PM.

2. These users say thanks for this post

Hillman THFC (13-02-2011),Rivron (14-02-2011)

Legend !

Status
    I'm praying (to a god I just invented) that Modders is fit enough. We're an entirley different team if he's off the field.

4. Who Thanked this post

Dustin (14-02-2011)

Status
    agreed, @rudi .

And if he is remotely fit, I can't see Harry leaving him on the bench to come on as a sub.

However, I agree with @spursman18 that Lennon will cause them the most problems, and if Modders isn't fit, then it will be on Niko to pick Lennon out in space against Oddo or Antonini.

We may see less of the ball than in any match so far this year, which may be OK as long as we have an out man, and Lennon can keep them honest.

Defensively, I think the focus has to be pressuring (with that aforementioned midfield pairing) to deny service to Ibra, who was brilliant against Parma this weekend, and who I fear is just too much for Daws/Gallas to handle. Best way to handle someone like him is to force him to check back for the ball.

Also agree that Crouch will play- honestly, if we are without Bale, Crouch and Lennon are the only players that present immediate matchup problems.

6. These users say thanks for this post

rudi (13-02-2011),spursman18 (13-02-2011)

Legend !

Status
    Sooooo pumped for this game! Think you've got the line up near enough spot on, Crouch is most likely going to play but I think that Palacios is near enough certain to play, I can't tihnk of any reason why he wouldn't start against Sunderland if he wasn't going to play today.

Dissapointed that my Dad couldn't sort out tickets but oh well! Guess it's the TV for me!

Status
    @stroud_jm

also Jenas is suspended for this so he may risk Modric, otherwise it'll be Niko/Pienaar playing next to our DM.

Legend !

Status
    Got my beer and wine ready.

Player in Training

Status
    as a lot of our key players are out, the sunderland result would give us great confidence. Got a slight feeling bale will be on the bench to frighten them in the 2nd half

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillman THFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    as a lot of our key players are out, the sunderland result would give us great confidence. Got a slight feeling bale will be on the bench to frighten them in the 2nd half
    @Hillman THFC

Harry's just ruled him on SSN

Bale missing for Spurs | Sky Sports | Tottenham Hotspur News, Fixtures, Results, Transfers | Football | Premier League | Sky Sports

12. Who Thanked this post

donatorHeroes (13-02-2011)

Player in Training

Status
    it is a shame, going out there tomorrow. Bale would be brilliant for the game itself, but Niko must have great confidence and VDV will be well up for it! I think Modric would be brilliant providing he's recovered

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by spursman18 View Post
    @stroud_jm

also Jenas is suspended for this so he may risk Modric, otherwise it'll be Niko/Pienaar playing next to our DM.
    damn, I forgot about that, and didn't notice it in your original post.

never thought I'd be concerned about losing JJ, but there it is.

While I liked Sandro yesterday, I actually think Willy might do a job for us if necessary, it's not like they've got pace in the middle of the park to provoke wild tackles, and his positional discipline (if not his discipline going into tackles) has been pretty good in some recent matches.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by stroud_jm View Post
    damn, I forgot about that, and didn't notice it in your original post.

never thought I'd be concerned about losing JJ, but there it is.

While I liked Sandro yesterday, I actually think Willy might do a job for us if necessary, it's not like they've got pace in the middle of the park to provoke wild tackles, and his positional discipline (if not his discipline going into tackles) has been pretty good in some recent matches.
    I remembered that he was suspended just after you posted in this thread so I went back and edited the OP. Pretty big loss if Modric isnt fully fit but I think Pienaar may play next to the DM and Niko would go out on the left but Harry might flip flop that scenario, pretty big decision in my eyes if it comes down to choosing who play in the middle of the park for us.

First Team Player

Status
    Can someone confirm that Sandro was included in the new squad which we were able to select for the knock outs?

First Team Player

Status
    1st half

Gomes

Charlie Dawson Gallas BAE

Palacios Modric

Lennon VDV Niko

Pav

2nd half same names but...

Gomes

Charlie Dawson Gallas BAE

Palacios Modric

VDV Niko Lennon

Pav

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomesnum1fan View Post
    Can someone confirm that Sandro was included in the new squad which we were able to select for the knock outs?
    @Gomesnum1fan

UEFA.com - UEFA Champions League - Tottenham

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomesnum1fan View Post
    He was, yes, as was Peanut.

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter