Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    NewEnglandSpur's Avatar
    First Team Player

    Status
    Offline
    First time that I am trying to figure out how the Champions League works from the round of 16 forward. Spurs have AC twice, home and away, right?

    Here comes the dumb question: what happens if they split the games? How do they decide who advances?


  2. #2
    spursman18's Avatar
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Whoever scores the most away goals will go through if were on an even aggregate

  3. #3
    Audere est Facere's Avatar
    Legend !

    Status
    Offline
    if you score 2 goals in milan than you have the best chances to go through even if you lose 4-2 cuz all you need to do is win 2-0 at home or 3-1 and you will be through while 4-2 would bring you into over time and 5-3 win would make you lose as they would have 3 away goals while we have only 2.

  4. #4
    NewEnglandSpur's Avatar
    First Team Player

    Status
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by ThUgBeAtZ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    if you score 2 goals in milan than you have the best chances to go through even if you lose 4-2 cuz all you need to do is win 2-0 at home or 3-1 and you will be through while 4-2 would bring you into over time and 5-3 win would make you lose as they would have 3 away goals while we have only 2.
    So do away goals count more in some way? How would they handle the over time?

  5. #5
    Audere est Facere's Avatar
    Legend !

    Status
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglandSpur View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So do away goals count more in some way? How would they handle the over time?
    the away rule counts in overtime as well. so if we lose 4-2 in milan and we win 4-2 at home and go to overtime at our place then if milan scores 4-3 in overtime then we need to score 2 more goals meaning we have to win 6-3 in overtime. 5-3 would mean we are even in goals but as they have scored one more away goal they would advance.

  6. #6
    spursman18's Avatar
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglandSpur View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So do away goals count more in some way? How would they handle the over time?
    Away goals are the key thing to getting through in the KO rounds, they are the first tie breaker. If Milan and us get even number of away goals and even on aggregate than we play 30 mins of extra time then go to penalties.

  7. Who Thanked this post

    NewEnglandSpur (29-12-2010)

  8. #7
    NewEnglandSpur's Avatar
    First Team Player

    Status
    Offline
    Thanks for the response. So there is an advantage to having the home game last in case of extra time, I guess?

  9. #8
    spursman18's Avatar
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglandSpur View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks for the response. So there is an advantage to having the home game last in case of extra time, I guess?
    Yes, definitely....its almost good to win the group before the KO stages to avoid some of the bigger clubs...in our case we got dealt a tough draw, but one we should be able compete with and win if we show up to play.

  10. #9
    NewEnglandSpur's Avatar
    First Team Player

    Status
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by spursman18 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, definitely....its almost good to win the group before the KO stages to avoid some of the bigger clubs...in our case we got dealt a tough draw, but one we should be able compete with and win if we show up to play.
    I read somewhere that ac will be active in the transfer market and that may make the difference. Hopefully the home game last will even that out.

  11. #10
    spursman18's Avatar
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglandSpur View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I read somewhere that ac will be active in the transfer market and that may make the difference. Hopefully the home game last will even that out.
    They did sign Cassano, who plays upfront which will allow them to rotate their strikers....Robinho is still average, and Ibra is a menace when he shows up to play. They have some reliable talent in their midfield (Ambrosini) and in their CBs but will struggle out on the wings with Bale/Lennon if they dont adjust their defense.

    I reckon we'll be active in January too so hopefully we get our striker and maybe 1 or 2 other players who can make an impact and put us over the edge when we play them.

  12. #11
    rudi's Avatar
    Legend !

    Status
    Offline
    EXTRA Time. Overtime is what occurs in American Sports. And Basketball.

  13. #12
    NewEnglandSpur's Avatar
    First Team Player

    Status
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by rudi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    EXTRA Time. Overtime is what occurs in American Sports. And Basketball.
    Yes, and it is a "clean sheet" as opposed to a shutout.

  14. #13
    BigDub's Avatar
    Legend !

    Status
    Offline
    and you say nil instead of zero, that is one I am still learning after 8 years.

  15. #14
    NewEnglandSpur's Avatar
    First Team Player

    Status
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDub View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and you say nil instead of zero, that is one I am still learning after 8 years.
    or zip or nada or goose egg or zilch

  16. #15
    perstrame's Avatar
    Legend !

    Status
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglandSpur View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    or zip or nada or goose egg or zilch
    Still with nil

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter