Poll: Ideal opponent - Round of 16

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Register To Comment
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

THTV Donator

Status
    In the other thread, there's a few conflicting ideas, and I thought it would be interesting to see how people feel going in to the next round with a poll.

The glamour fixture, or the easy game to get us further?

Legend !

Status
    OM for me, great new spot for travel fans and they were the Ligue 1 winners last year werent they?

First Team Player

Status
    I think we'll get Copenhagen, or someone easy. They probably want a story of us being a 'dark horse' in the competition.

I also think Arsenal will draw Madrid, because they want a Mourinho-Wenger matchup, and Inter will draw Bayern. Man U might draw Milan.

Oh wait but I forgot that the draw is always completely random and there's no telling who will get who!

THTV Donator

Status
    Perhaps drawing AC Milan could have a silver lining to it, being that we're in the unique position of having just been to the exact stadium that we would be away at; perhaps that could work in the lads' favour, having a bit of recent experience playing there, and knowing what to expect?

Welcome back Contrast!

Status
    Feck me there are some massive names there!

Goes to show what sort of competition we are in now, eh?

Legend !

Status
    Milan is who I want...

only because I think we can beat them but if we are considered favourites we usually under perform whereas if we are underdogs we usually perform above expectations... We have beaten the Other Milan why not do it to both?

Legend !

Status
    Either Copenhagen or AC Milan for me.

Copenhagen because they are probably the worst of all those teams and AC Milan because it would be such a big occasion and one that I think the boys could definitely rise to, especially at fortress White Hart Lane.

Progression for me will come down to how tight we can keep it away, because I think we would beat every single one of those teams at home.

Legend !

Status
    one thing i would love is:

I wouldn't mind drawing any team but I would really want the second leg at WHL no matter who we play

Player in Training

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by edmonds44 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    one thing i would love is:

I wouldn't mind drawing any team but I would really want the second leg at WHL no matter who we play

The second leg will be at WHL. If you top your group then you play the away leg first in the round of 16.

Don't mind who we get as think we can beat anyone providing our defence improves away from home. Hope we get a good ticket allocation whoever we get.
    Last edited by awatson86; 09-12-2010 at 12:14 PM.

10. These users say thanks for this post

edmonds44 (09-12-2010),Rev John Ripsher (09-12-2010)

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by awatson86 View Post
    The second leg will be at WHL. If you top your group then you play the away leg first in the round of 16.
    really? i didn't actually know that... wow so finishing top of the group is more than just drawing a so called 'easier' opposition....

cheers mate

Player in Training

Status
    Yeah, that is what I have read and heard on a few occasions. Think that will me a massive help for us.

groany fooker lol

Status
    i dont give a flying fook who we draw tbh, not scared of anyone at home so id probably go for AC for the glamour factor

Status
    If we can "do" Inter 6-5 over 2 legs , Bremen 5-2 and Twente 7-4 then I would think we would be a match for any of those left in .

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by awatson86 View Post
    This is quoted from the official rules of the competition ........ please read "e"

7.09 The round of 16 pairings are determined by means of a draw. The round of
    16 is played under the knockout system, on a home-and-away basis (two
    legs). The UEFA administration ensures that the following principles are
    respected.
    a) Clubs from the same association cannot be drawn against each other. 12
    b) The winners and runners-up of the same group cannot be drawn against
    each other.
    c) The group-winners cannot be drawn against each other.
    d) The runners-up cannot be drawn against each other.
    e) The runners-up must play the first leg at home

So awatson , you are right !!

PS . Just in case anyone wants to read the rules .... be my guest

http://en.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/D...9_DOWNLOAD.pdf
    Last edited by Rev John Ripsher; 09-12-2010 at 12:55 PM.

16. Who Thanked this post

edmonds44 (09-12-2010)

First Team Player

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rossdfc View Post
    Either Copenhagen or AC Milan for me.

Copenhagen because they are probably the worst of all those teams and AC Milan because it would be such a big occasion and one that I think the boys could definitely rise to, especially at fortress White Hart Lane.

Progression for me will come down to how tight we can keep it away, because I think we would beat every single one of those teams at home.
    I am afraid Copenhagen may just sit back and defend and get a goal against us on the run. They got good results against Barcelona and we not destroyed by them. I would go for Lyon.

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter