Register To Comment
Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast
    Legend !

Status
    WOT? No match day thread? Can't have that, can we?

Werder Bremen

v Tottenham Hotspur

The Spurs party touched down in north west Germany at 1.30pm (UK time) and will have a training session at the Weserstadion in Bremen at 6pm (UK time).

Now, about our opposition:

SV Werder Bremen is a German sports club best known for its football team playing in Bremen, in the northwest German federal state of the same name. The club was founded on 4 February 1899 as Fußballverein Werder by a group of sixteen vocational high school students, who had won a prize of sports equipment to set them on their way. They took their name from the seldom used regional German word for “river peninsula”, describing the riverside field they first played football on.

Bremen, a mainstay in the Bundesliga, have been crowned champions on four occasions and have won the DFB-Pokal on six occasions. Their most recent achievements in these competitions came in 2004, when they won an historic double.

The club has also tasted European success, beating AS Monaco in the 1992 European Cup Winners' Cup Final, 2–0. They also reached the final edition of the UEFA Cup in 2009, before it was rebranded as the UEFA Europa League, where they met Ukrainian side Shakhtar Donetsk. Unfortunately for Bremen, Shakhtar proved too strong, losing the final 2–1 in A.E.T.

Current squad (correct as of 31 August 2010)

1 GK Tim Wiese
    2 DF Sebastian Boenisch
    3 DF Petri Pasanen
    4 DF Naldo
    5 MF Wesley
    6 MF Tim Borowski
    7 FW Marko Arnautović
    8 DF Clemens Fritz
    10 MF Marko Marin
    14 MF Aaron Hunt
    15 DF Sebastian Prödl
    16 DF Mikaël Silvestre
    17 FW Said Husejinović
    18 FW Felix Kroos
    19 FW Sandro Wagner
    20 MF Daniel Jensen
    21 GK Sebastian Mielitz
    22 MF Torsten Frings (captain)
    23 FW Hugo Almeida
    24 FW Claudio Pizarro
    27 DF Niklas Andersen
    28 MF Kevin Schindler
    29 DF Per Mertesacker (vice-captain)
    33 GK Christian Vander
    35 MF Florian Trinks
    36 FW Lennart Thy
    37 DF Leon Balogun
    41 DF Dominik Schmidt
    42 GK Felix Wiedwald
    43 MF Pascal Testroet
    44 MF Philipp Bargfrede
    46 FW Onur Ayik

2. These users say thanks for this post

Chingfordspur (13-09-2010),goalweiser (14-09-2010)

Player in Training

Status
    Don't forget, we're handsome as well too.

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't forget, we're handsome as well too.
    I'll reserve judgement on that, Bremen, until I see you all on TV, tomorrow night!

Legend !

Status
    We could have really done with Defoe's pace for this game. I think it could have caused the centre-backs some real problems.

I can't f***ing wait for this! This is what last season was all about.

Player in Training

Status
    I'm very lookin' forward to the game, it's gonna be a great one!
    Good luck!
    Last edited by WerderBremen; 13-09-2010 at 03:55 PM.

7. These users say thanks for this post

Enfield_spurs (13-09-2010),rudi (14-09-2010)

Legend !

Status
    we really need a win tomorrow to give our season a kick up the arse

having modric will be a real boost, and the germans will fear rafa, i'd say we go 4-5-1 and make sure we don't lose, defoe is a huge loss, we could've done with his pace and goalscoring prowess but we have super pav who always comes good when we need him and i think he can lead the line well in germany, mertesacker and naldo are both hurt which will be a big loss for them

team:

pletikosa, corluka, king, gallas, bale, lennon, huddlestone, palacios, huddlestone, modric, pavlyuchenko

subs:

cudicini, bassong, assou-ekotto, kranjcar, jenas, crouch, keane

prediction: 2-2

pletikosa in for cudicini who is too much of a liability now tbh, we need ledley's composure at the back and seb looked out of his depth in the 1st leg of the playoff, bale into LB and modric at LM with VDV as a second striker in front of hudd and palacios who will anchor in front of the back 4, lennon on the right with charlie in behind him, willy gallas' experience will come in handy and especially in tough away ties

Legend !

Status
    I really wonder whether Modric will feature. SSN showed the players arriving at Stansted, earlier today and, although Luka was wheeling his little suitcase along, he was walking with a slight limp.

First Team Player

Status
    I don't think Modric will play. Our priority should be the English league not the champions league. I'd play

Cudicini (just for familiarity with back four and language)

Corluka Gallas King BAE

Lennon Huddlestone Jenas Bale

VDV

Pav

Palacios cannot play in European games, he will absolutely slaughter our midfield play. VDV should not be played too deep, Jenas will be good for European type games because he can play well with more time in midfield. Huddlestone should revert to a less defensive role. Bale should never play left back, best man for the best position and he is by far the best left side midfield in the world aside from Messi and Ronaldo. VDV's best role is behind the striker like what he did for HSV and Pav has more pace than keane, crouch.

Player in Training

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BrumSpur View Post
    I'll reserve judgement on that, Bremen, until I see you all on TV, tomorrow night!
    Good enough?

clemens-fritz3.jpg

12. Who Thanked this post

BrumSpur (13-09-2010)

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremen View Post
    Good enough?
    OK, Mr Fritz isn't bad! But, he's no Niko Kranjcar!

Player in Training

Status
    Nor is Nico German. C'mon, admit it, you want some sauerkraut with that beer...

Legend !

Status
    Hunt relishing Tottenham test

How do you begin to try to replace a player like Mesut Ozil, the German World Cup star lauded as one of the best players on the planet before he left Werder Bremen for Real Madrid in the summer? With great difficulty, was my guess.
    But the Bundesliga side, who are Tottenham's first opponents in Group A of the Champions League on Tuesday, don't seem to be missing Mr Ozil too much. Maybe because they already had two other versatile and skilful young forwards with dual-nationality on their books.
    The first is Bosnia-born Marko Marin - known as 'the German Messi', which is not a bad label for any player to earn - and the second is Aaron Hunt, a Goslar-born forward with an English mother who was reportedly trailed by Fabio Capello before opting to play for the country of his birth last year.
    Bremen boss Thomas Schaaf has already used both men in the 'Ozil role' - at the tip of a midfield diamond and behind two strikers - this season and Spurs boss Harry Redknapp is sufficiently wary of the threat they pose to have signalled that he will change from his usual 4-4-2 formation to try to contain them at the Weserstadion.
    It was Hunt who starred in that position as his side took Sampdoria apart in the first leg of their final qualifying-round tie last month, linking up brilliantly with frontmen Claudio Pizarro and Hugo Almeida in a 3-1 victory.
    The 24-year-old missed the second leg through a viral infection but Werder sneaked through 5-4 on aggregate after extra-time to reach the group stage of Europe's premier club competition for the fifth time in the last six years.
    How will they fare against Spurs, Inter Milan and FC Twente? I spoke to Hunt to try to find out - well, through a translator anyway. Although he can speak a bit of English, he understandably prefers to stick to his first language over the telephone and was a more relaxed interviewee as a result.
    With Hunt's Anglo-German background - he was a Liverpool fan as a boy, has an uncle in London who is a "big Arsenal fan" and his grandfather went to the same Northumberland school as Bobby Charlton - it's perhaps not surprising he is relishing playing Spurs as much as defending champions Inter.
    "I've always followed English football," said Hunt, who was friendly and happy to talk at length. "The atmosphere of games against English teams is always very good, so we are looking forward to playing Spurs. I think we are equally matched. Both ourselves and Tottenham are very good offensively and have some very good players in the forward positions, so you can expect an open, exciting game and a few goals."
    Hunt may be asked to operate behind the front two again on Tuesday but he is equally comfortable on the either flank and says being viewed as Ozil's successor is not important to him.
    "For us, it is not a big deal who will be replacing him in the side," Hunt explained. "All our attacking players have always swapped in and out of the team a lot, such as myself and Marko, so there is no great competition about who will play where Mesut played.
    "That we can all play in many different positions in attack and that none of us has a regular position and that we can swap and move around a lot is a great advantage and one that makes us such a dangerous attacking team."
    The fact Hunt has a useful left foot is probably one of the reasons why Capello despatched his assistant Stuart Pearce to watch him in action last year and why England investigated the possibility of poaching a player who had played for Germany 26 times at Under-16, Under-17 and Under-21 level before making his senior bow for Jogi Loew's side against the Ivory Coast in November 2009.
    According to Hunt, though, England never made contact with him - and he is now focusing on winning a place in Loew's squad for their Euro 2012 qualifying campaign after winning his second full cap in their post-World Cup friendly with Denmark.
    "Of course I used to consider whether I should play for Germany or England," he said. "But I never got the chance to make the decision as no-one from England really took an interest or made the effort to ask me.
    "I got selected for the German youth teams and last year made my full debut for Germany, so that is that. I think I have got a good chance of getting called up again if I do well in the Bundesliga and in Europe. I see it as an advantage that I can play anywhere in attack - on the right, left or as a playmaker."
    Hunt will never represent England now but he is still keen on playing on these shores in the future. Although he signed a new Werder contract that lasts until 2014 earlier this year and says he is happy there for the foreseeable future, he describes the Premier League as "the most attractive and best league in the world".
    "It would be a great opportunity to play there," Hunt added. "Germany has been catching up in the last few years, with new stadiums and better players coming to the Bundesliga, but England is still number one."
    It's clear Hunt knows a lot about English football but I'm not sure sure we know so much about him. I admit that, before watching him against Sampdoria, the main reason his name was familiar to me was because of allegations he racially abused Anton Ferdinand and Micah Richards during a Germany-England Under-21 international in 2006.
    After initially being given a two-game ban, Hunt was exonerated by Uefa and is adamant that he is innocent of racially abusing Ferdinand and Richards in what he admits was a bad-tempered match featuring "fierce verbal exchanges".
    "The incident had nothing to do with racism," said Hunt. "I have many black team-mates and friends. I didn't think it was a big deal at the time when it happened and it was a surprise that it went as far as it did because I explained myself to a Uefa official who was at the match at the time.
    "The rest of the German team and also our coach Dieter Ellis didn't understand why it had been made into such a big problem. It was a relief to be cleared so that I was not put into a category that I absolutely do not belong to."
    Depending on how he gets on against Spurs, Hunt might get some recognition in this country for the right reasons this week. Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool and Manchester City have all been linked with him in the past 12 months and we could be seeing a lot more of him in the future.

Legend !

Status
    Pictures from tonight's training session, in Bremen.

Banned !

Status
    i see no Modric there on the training...i don't know whats the problem because the pictures are big enough to see him, but i can't see him there.. maybe he is there but he probably looks so small that my eyes can't notice him...can someone enlarge the pictures for God's sake?

Legend !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinamo ZG View Post
    i see no Modric there on the training...i don't know whats the problem because the pictures are big enough to see him, but i can't see him there.. maybe he is there but he probably looks so small that my eyes can't notice him...can someone enlarge the pictures for God's sake?
    I enlarged the picture on TwitPic. Luka's not out there!

EDIT: Although, there is someone running, right at the edge of the picture - but I assume that's a goalkeeper!

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter