Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm ***y and I know it

Status
    Boxing legend Smoking Joe Frazier has been diagnosed with liver cancer and is currently being treated in a hospice.

His family and friends have stated that whilst they hold out hope and are evaluating all options possible they admit that there are not many.

Personally I will be sad when he passes. He was truly one of the greats and was one of the few that the great Ali respected.

Good luck Joe.

2. These users say thanks for this post

BlueCrew LA (05-11-2011),Javi (08-11-2011)

Legend!

Status
    a true legend and proper boxer. real shame

4. Who Thanked this post

Fatboyyid (05-11-2011)

Status
    If Smoking Joe is in a hospice then he is receiving palliative care .

He will be gone in a few days .

Wonderful and brave fighter

Legend !

Status
    He was a real fighter, a brave man for sure.

these are small those cows are far away

Status
    An absolute legend. I will also be sad when he passes. And let's be honest, if it's primary liver cancer, he's done.

I loved watching him and Ali hamming it up with Howard Cosell and taking the piss out of him.

I'm ***y and I know it

Status
    Taken from the sky news mobile app.

Former heavyweight boxing champion Joe Frazier, known for his three epic bouts with Muhammad Ali, has been diagnosed with liver cancer.
    The 67-year-old was diagnosed about a month ago and is now in a hospice in Philadelphia, his manager Leslie Wolff said.

"We are doing everything we can ... but I would be a liar if I did not tell you it is very serious," Mr Wolff said.

He said 'Smokin' Joe', who won the Olympic heavyweight boxing gold medal for the United States in 1964 in Tokyo and held the world heavyweight boxing crown from 1970 to 1973, was in a "very painful and serious situation".

But Mr Wolff added: "Joe is a fighter. Joe doesn't give up."

Frazier, who has 11 children, is eternally linked with Ali thanks to their trilogy of fights in the 1970s which rank among the most famous ever in the sport.

Frazier won the first and Ali took the next two.

The third fight against Ali was on October 1, 1975, in an encounter in the Philippines that famously became known as 'The Thrilla in Manila'.

Frazier retired in 1976 after losing to George Foreman for the second time in his career but came out of retirement for a fight in 1981 before ending his career for good.

Legend !

Status
    Sad News
    A true Legend of boxing history and one of the greats..when fighters actually deserved to be classed as great
    May his final days be as painless as possible

Legend !

Status
    I'm really sad to hear this news.
    I am far to young to "remember" Joe's career but most of my family (the males at least) are or have been amateur boxers at some point and I grew around the sport with Father and grandfather especially showing me video's of old fights. I have many fond memories of watching smoking Joe with my grandfather as Joe was one of my grandads favourite fighters of all time. These are memories I will cherish forever and for those memories I will always be grateful of "Smoking" Joe Frazier. I hope the however long he is with us are easy and painless days.

Legend !

Status
    R.I.P. Joe Frazier
    His fight is over..Sleep well champ

12. Who Thanked this post

bradders (08-11-2011)

I'm ***y and I know it

Status
    Sad update fellas. Smoking Jie has passed away.

Taken from sky news.

Frazier won Olympic gold in 1964 after going to the Games as a replacement for the injured Buster Mathis, who had beaten him in the trials.

He won the professional heavyweight title in 1970 by stopping Jimmy Ellis in the fifth round at Madison Square Garden and defended it successfully four times before losing it to George Foreman in 1973.

Frazier is best remembered for his three bouts with Muhammad Ali, the first of which saw him unify the world title when he inflicted Ali's first professional defeat in the so-called "Fight of the Century" in 1971.

But in two further fights, including the epic "Thrilla in Manila" in 1975, it was Ali who was victorious.

Ali, 69, said yesterday upon hearing of Frazier's illness: "The news about Joe is hard to believe and even harder to accept.

"My family and I are keeping Joe and his family in our daily prayers. Joe has a lot of friends pulling for him - and I'm one of them."

Smokin' Joe died in Philadelphia aged 67 - a month after being diagnosed with liver cancer.

A family statement said: "He transitioned from this life as 'One of God's Men', on the eve of November 7, 2011 at his home in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

"We thank you for your prayers for our father and vast outpouring of love and support.

"Our father's home going celebration will be announced as soon as possible."

More follows...

Can a mod please rename this thread @RiverWire @BlueCrew LA @Rev John Ripsher @thfcire

14. These users say thanks for this post

bradders (08-11-2011),thfcire (08-11-2011)

Legend!

Status
    r.i.p one of the best fighters towalk this earth

16. Who Thanked this post

Fatboyyid (08-11-2011)

Status
    Title now edited .

Smokin' Joe came and shone from a golden era of brutal heavyweights , Ali , Foreman , Norton , Ellis & Terrell .
    Last edited by Rev John Ripsher; 08-11-2011 at 08:59 AM.

18. Who Thanked this post

Fatboyyid (08-11-2011)

massive bellend according to bigdub

Status
    Rest in peace!

Legend !

Status
    Rest in peace Smokin Joe you where a legend in the truest sense of the word. the boxing world will never forget you thats for sure.

THTV Donator

Status
    RIP Smokin' Joe, the final bell has rung..

Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is in no way authorised by or connected with Tottenham Hotspur [insert appropriate acronym] or the official club website. Tottenhamhotspurs.tv is solely an unofficial supporters club website and has no connection with Tottenham Hotspur in ANY capacity. The views and opinions expressed within this site are those of the specified authors. Externally linked content is the property of the relevant copyright holder.
tottenham facebook tottenham twitter